Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Struggling to get consistent shots

I'm hoping someone could help me out here.

K-5, DA*50-135, circular polarizer, lens hood.

I cannot for the life of me get consistent photos. Using TAv mode, f/5.6, 1/1000, +0.3 Exposure for both of the following shots, this is what happens:

Then seconds later:

For the first photo, the camera picked ISO 100 but ISO 500 for the second. Sorry, not sure why Flickr isn't saving the EXIF data, I have it set to share it.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

06-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How are you metering? In the first image, the swans take up a lot of the frame and are centered. In this case, all metering modes should be fairly close: spot, center weighted and matrix would all return similar results. But in the second one, the swans don't take up most of the image and they are not centered. So, spot metering could be reading from the dark dark lake behind them and metering for that, center weighted wouldn't see white in the center and matrix would look at the whole scene (of which the swans are not a huge part of)
06-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you rotating the polarizer at all? have you tried without the polarizer? The Exif data is there, you just have to click "Actions" above the pict and click it btw.

Are you shooting raw? I have a feeling opening the actual raw file and click auto would give you a perfect photo for the first photo.
06-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You know, I think that was the problem. I was using spot metering.

Still trying to get the hang of metering and exposure!

Amazing what detail I can still pull out of the image. Here's the over-exposed shot with simple exposure adjustments and a crop:

06-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
are you rotating the polarizer at all? have you tried without the polarizer? The Exif data is there, you just have to click "Actions" above the pict and click it btw.
Yeh, I was turning the polarizer. Have had similar results with it off too.

Thanks for the EXIF tip. I was using an IE plugin to read it and it wasn't detecting any data.
06-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

For this you need to go to M-mode, make a metering off the swanns and apply that to the image you want to take. You want a bigger view of it with the swans in perfect light, and that is not possible on automatic metering.
06-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, you already know what the issue is. That is the camera did exactly what you told it to do. The first shot is actually underexposed a little metered on the birds. It looks like the meter hit the lake in the second shot and while it looks properly exposed, the birds of course, are blown out.

Spot metering isn't just a manual exposure thing but it is necessary to know what you are metering, and what you expect from the photo.

06-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I know matrix metering has come a long way in the past decade, but I still use center-weighted or spot metering more than matrix metering. At least if I mess up the metering at that point, I know it was my fault and I know how to correct it.

06-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #9

I ran into this exact issue and while the metering ideas are huge, that darn circular polarizer is also the problem. I was getting crazy pictures and it was so frustrating. I took off the polarizer and got great results. I too spent way too much for nothing.

Do both suggestions and ur k5 will rock ur world
06-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do like the results with the polarizer, reduced glare, better contrast, etc.. but I just can't wrap my head around exposure, let alone full M mode.
06-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Get the book Understanding Exposure by Brian Paterson, you will not regret it
06-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I think its easiest to understand metering by starting with spot metering in Av mode. Set your aperture to something nicely in the middle, like f/5.6 or f/8 and make sure the ISO is set, not on auto. Try this out and you will learn.

The camera always tries to make whatever you point it at 18% grey. So, if you point it at some bright whites, you will have a nice short shutter speed. Your images will look underexposed because instead of having bright white, it will be dingy 18% grey. Typically, you have to manually set +1 or so exposure compensation to make up for this.

If you point it at some dark shadows, you will have a much longer shutter speed. Your images will look overexposed because instead of having black shadows, you will have 18% grey shadows. Typically you have to manually set -1 or so exposure compensation to make up for it.

If you can find a middle value, something not bright white and not dark black, then your metering will be fairly good.

Matrix metering works by looking at the whole scene (split into 77 sections) and looks at what each of those segements would need to get to 18% grey and takes the average of them all. Center weighted does the same but each segment farther from the middle gets less important.
06-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

As has been mentioned above by other members, you had the camera set to spot metering, and the camera metered off a very limited area in the very centre of the viewfinder.

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Using TAv mode, f/5.6, 1/1000, +0.3 Exposure for both of the following shots, this is what happens:

IMGP8320
In this photo, the camera metered off the middle of the scene, which is the white of the geese, and hence the geese are correctly exposed, +0.3ev (because you had exposure compensation on).

In this next photo, the camera metered off the patch of water just to the goose's head, and hence the water is correctly exposed, +0.3ev.

For the first photo, the camera picked ISO 100 but ISO 500 for the second.
The camera did exactly as it was told to do. It metered off the spot in the middle of the scene, and because it was in TAv mode, it changed ISO to correctly expose +0.3ev, for the chosen shutter speed and aperture combination.

Sorry, not sure why Flickr isn't saving the EXIF data, I have it set to share it.
Flickr only saves the EXIF data on your original photo, not any resized versions; however, you can still see the EXIF data from the original photo by going to Actions at the top left of the photo clicking on that, and then View Exif Info.

A way to get your head around metering: think of metering as how the camera "sees" a scene to determine the correct exposure. The camera looks at what you're seeing though the viewfinder, does some fancy calculation, and then in TAv mode, changes the ISO to get the correct exposure (in other modes, it'll behave slightly differently). The different metering modes are you telling the camera what to look at. In multi-segment metering, you're telling the camera to look at pretty much the whole scene to calculate the correct exposure. In centre-weighted average, you're telling it to look at most of the scene, but the middle areas are more important, so give the centre areas more weighting when calculating the correct exposure. In spot metering, which is what you chose, you told the camera to just look at the centre spot of the viewfinder, when calculating the correct exposure, and to ignore everything else.

Last edited by pop4; 06-17-2011 at 08:03 PM.