Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2011, 04:34 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Metz - Mecablitz 58 AF = JUNK

This is a warning to all those souls out there who are after TTL flash.
Like the naive me )) I have two YN560 flashes which work great but I wanted to try out the Metz.

Do NOT buy the stinking
Metz - Mecablitz 58 AF

not sure how good the Pentax AF540 is but it CANNOT be worse. The Metz underexposes and overexposes in wireless is it wants to. Bounced flash underexposes and overexposes just as it wishes. Has no manual control or it is so tedious you will not even find it. Has weird interface - are you going to take pictures or torture yourself with it?

But wait... what is not all... the worst of all ....

it does have an AWFUL light color. So bad that makes me vomit when I look at my pictures. There is this BLUE tint to the light I wonder how to correct this s**t maaaan what a crap!!! Holy YONGNUO 560 I love you ))

Beleive it or not the build of the Chineese YN560 for 50USD is surerior to the 550 USD Metz!!! I use the YN560 with Phottix Aster remote from Amazon and with PC sync cable (2USD) from eBay.

Lucky me AMAZON is where I purchased the Metz too and they will spare me more troubles in this case - this little junk goes back on Monday.

Also, I have 2x YN560 flashes and I am happy to work with them. Go get one - it has very good neutral color light, it is powerful and easy to use, a little bulky but for a good reason.

Also I discovered that there are some light artifacts when testing it. Wow how is it possible that it gets prised at the "best flash in the world" ??? Dont know... just wanted to let you know what I found and I am really surprised to be honest.

The Mecablitz 58 AF-1 won the EISA Award for “best flash unit in Europe 2007/2008″.

Review: Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2 Digital - IT Enquirer on Photography and Video

06-18-2011, 05:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yongnuo are manual flashes metz is pTTL there is lots of threads about how unreliable is pTTL especially on k5. I had similar problem with some of sigma flash - it had faulty converter. Maybe the unit you have received was just broken? Never had any problem with Metz 48AF
06-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Never had a problem with my two Metz 58s (Pentax & Nikon). Work perfectly reliably for me and don't miss a trick. P-TTL flash can be problematic but that's down to the camera since the camera tells the flash the power to set (if I understand it properly).

If you're shooting off camera using wireless then set the power manually on the flash.

Didn't have any problems with my Pentax AF540 either until it fell off a light stand although that wasn't it's fault!!
06-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Why in K-5 forum, seem a trash dumb now

06-18-2011, 05:48 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by dreamfoto Quote
Like the naive me )) I have two YN560 flashes which work great but I wanted to try out the Metz.

Do NOT buy the stinking
Metz - Mecablitz 58 AF

not sure how good the Pentax AF540 is but it CANNOT be worse. The Metz underexposes and overexposes in wireless is it wants to. Bounced flash underexposes and overexposes just as it wishes. Has no manual control or it is so tedious you will not even find it. Has weird interface - are you going to take pictures or torture yourself with it?

it does have an AWFUL light color. So bad that makes me vomit when I look at my pictures. There is this BLUE tint to the light I wonder how to correct this s**t maaaan what a crap!!! Holy YONGNUO 560 I love you ))

Beleive it or not the build of the Chineese YN560 for 50USD is surerior to the 550 USD Metz!!! I use the YN560 with Phottix Aster remote from Amazon and with PC sync cable (2USD) from eBay.

Lucky me AMAZON is where I purchased the Metz too and they will spare me more troubles in this case - this little junk goes back on Monday.

Also, I have 2x YN560 flashes and I am happy to work with them. Go get one - it has very good neutral color light, it is powerful and easy to use, a little bulky but for a good reason.

Also I discovered that there are some light artifacts when testing it. Wow how is it possible that it gets prised at the "best flash in the world" ??? Dont know... just wanted to let you know what I found and I am really surprised to be honest.

The Mecablitz 58 AF-1 won the EISA Award for “best flash unit in Europe 2007/2008″.

Have you tried the "A" mode a on the Metz it has a more consistent exposure than the PTTL. Of course your opinion on the build is a bit harsh. As far as flash exposure I have found if I try to bounce in PTTL the exposure is inconsistent but in A mode much much better. If you search this site it has been discussed in depth.
06-18-2011, 05:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Why in K-5 forum, seem a trash dumb now
Agreed, unless it's a K-5 specific flash problem.

However, I aways figured that all TTL (Nikon, Pentax, Canon & others) was a bit hit and miss since you never really know what the camera is thinking when it sets the exposure. When I set the flash manually I know how it's going to light the photo, not how the camera sees it.

My K20 isn't perfect. I find that I'm always adjusting the flash compensation or using the flash in automatic mode.
06-18-2011, 06:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Stop bullshiting. If you can't find M mode, that's not a Metz problem - that's your personal problem. I have good old 48 AF1 - everything is just fine with flash, and ussualy I get properly exposed pic

06-18-2011, 06:23 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!

Looks like the K-5 doesn't give consistent results with PTTL. Nevermind, I am used to manual already. Well, instead of changing the compensation 3 times I prefer to set the flash manually anyway.

texbaz, thanks for the tip, I'll check the A mode, not sure if I have already done that test. Too much randomness in too short of a time Hope this will work better...

Its true I am overly-emotional in expressing my opinion, but the important is the facts still hold... BTW Has anyone noticed blue-ish color to the flash or is it the tint of the aura of my anger Nobody mentioned that so ... it must be the aura
06-18-2011, 06:29 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Metz is not a bad flash. I actually have no trouble with TTL, although I don't use it wireless at all. Most often I use it for a little bit of fill flash when it is needed. I use it nearly completely in TTL mode. If off camera, though, I use Cactus V5s and manual mode. This is a photo with the Metz 58, on camera (photo of my son); however, shot with the K7 (I get similar results with the K5).

06-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #10
Banned

For good working with K-5 the Metz flashes do need a firmware upgrade wich you can get on their site.
06-18-2011, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do NOT buy the stinking
Metz - Mecablitz 58 AF

Oh dear, you let it all hang out in your anger. Before you write all these hateful remarks and possibly find out later that you have made a fool of yourself just have a little lie down, breathe in and out slowly relax and start to analyze your problems anew. There, there...

Is it possible you have used PTTL when really you should have used manual or A setting? Is it possible your flash gun needs updating to the latest FW version? Is it possible the gun has developed a fault? (think of Airbus A380 and RR Engine) Is it possible you may have made a mistake? (we all make them you know), have you set the camera incorrectly?...

I have the Metz 58 AF-1 and after the FW update to Ver.3.0 (that is the beauty of the Metz that one can actually do that when a new model camera requires it) the unit runs perfectly with my K-5. That is not to say I don't have to make a few adjustments here and there but that's photography. (And perhaps even the fun of it)

So before you give up on this little baby, have another look at it. Also please consider Metz is one of the oldest continuously operating flash gun manufacturer in the world and I find it hart to believe that they can get it so wrong.

Greetings
06-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This is a photo with the Metz 58, on camera (photo of my son); however, shot with the K7 (I get similar results with the K5).
Your photo of your son reminds me of one Metz uses from a very early brochure. (1960s?)

Into the future with tradition: Metz
06-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do NOT buy the stinking
Metz - Mecablitz 58 AF

Surprised ? You could have searched this forum before posting your surprise...
06-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
User error/not knowing how to use a peice of equipment does not make it junk.

Besides M mode ftw!
06-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

1st time heard someone saying that Metz 58 flash is a junk. I've been using one for a year plus, really like it. Had the Pentax 540 flash for over 4 years before, it's definitely not as well made as the Metz