Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2011, 04:29 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 and lens data in EXIF

Just got my K5 the other day and had a great time shooting on World Pentax Day. But when uplaoding my images I noticed the EXIF data for the lens model was missing. With my K10D the EXIF listed the lens model unless it was an M series. But with the K5 only the focal length is recorded. Is there a setting that I haven't been able to locate to turn this on?

06-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Whenever I upload a photo to the gallery, I have to Tell it which lens I used. The only thing that appears in the EXIF with respect to the lens, is the focal length.

07-02-2011, 06:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
Looks like nobody really has an answer to this one. Here is what I have found out so far:
PhotoMe does capture the lens model data but it does not show up in the summery at the top. It will say 'K or M lens' where data from images taken with the K10D will list the lens model in the summery.
In CS3 (Bridge) the field is missing completely. I chatted with a friend who also shoots K5 and he said it does display in CS5. I have not yet had an opportunity to try this.
My conclusion is something changed in the way the EXIF data is recorded either by: Pentax, or CMOS sensors, or some other arbitrary reason.

What about other Pentax models in between the K10D and K5? Or Other resent models of other brands? Would be interesting to know.
07-03-2011, 02:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have not found the same problem at all. Here is an example of the EXIF data for the lens properly being posted. Not sure if it matters, but I shoot in raw (DNG), post-process via Adobe Bridge, then Adobe Camera RAW and Photoshop CS5.

Crested Pigeon - Pentax User Photo Gallery

07-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #5

It is VERY common for post-processing programs to strip away part or all of the EXIF data. Have you changed your workflow since you used your K10D?

Anywho, the camera will record the lens data in the EXIF if it can figure it out. But all software/websites/etc will read and render this data differently.

Prolly nothing at all to do with your camera body.
07-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The way I understand it, the EXIF data does not contain the name of the lens. The EXIF info only contains a code which is unique to the lens model. The software you use (PhotoME, CS3, CS5, etc) can only identify the name of the lens if it has been programmed with that information. Does the same lens used with your K10D and K-5 behave differently when used with the same software program?
07-04-2011, 01:42 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

FWIW we use exiftool, which is a free program, here on PF to decode lens data. It's written in perl so it's very easy to run on any os!

Once you have it installed, it is enough to run exiftool -LensID [filename] and magic will happen

07-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #8

Original Poster
I have gone back and forth with images form K10D and K5 in Bridge and Photome and the K5 images do not even show the lens model field in Bridge while in Photome it is listed but not in the same field. This is true with RAW (DNG) and JPG images.
It could be a defect in my camera, but hardly big enough of an issue to justify loosing it for a few weeks to be replaced.