Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I am downloading the silver version and hope my k-5 become silver after I update the firmware.

Anyone find any update on manual video control?

Lee
Seriously! For the love of God, please!!! I just spent the whole weekend shooting on a 5DmkII because of the K-5's lack of 24p and manual controls. The K-5 is an amazing camera and I absolutely love it; and it drives me crazy to have to use another system just to be able to fit into the context of a group multimedia project...

06-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tichomir Quote
Even in Japanaised English, this would mean that the content of the previous update is included here. The only thing which this firmware includes, that's the GPS support.
With that argument they should have listed every update, not only 1.03.
And if only GPS was changed, why write anything at all.
Updates has always been cumulative, so that all previous updates are included. That doesn't need to be said.
06-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a very important shoot thursday and saturday so i will wait till sunday to install this
06-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #64
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Im just yesterday ordered my K-5 Silver, and on this site i see diferent firmware for "K-5" and "K-5 Silver" : Downloads - PENTAX Europe Imaging Systems

Its realy mean, software is diferent, or its just for "dummies" ?

06-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Seriously! For the love of God, please!!! I just spent the whole weekend shooting on a 5DmkII because of the K-5's lack of 24p and manual controls. The K-5 is an amazing camera and I absolutely love it; and it drives me crazy to have to use another system just to be able to fit into the context of a group multimedia project...
Has anyone ever been able to notice any practical difference between 24p and 25p?
06-21-2011, 12:52 AM   #66
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1.10 looks OK to me.
No camera implosion.
No AF failure.
No change to fine AF adjustments.
No change in performance.
No change in P-TTL flash exposure (still need FEC -2.0 for adequate exposures - no big deal as this is consistent).
No surprise.
Just GPS menu options...

Onto the next FW update...
06-21-2011, 01:37 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
"*Contents of [Version 1.03] will be also updated."

could maybe in Japanised English mean that those things listed as updated on V1.03 has been further updated, that is:

"Improved the accuracy of auto focus in low-intensity light condition." "Improved stability for general performance."
This means that if your camera is still running on an early version firmware (1.00; 1.01 or 1.02) that you get all the benefits that where placed in the 1.03 firmware and that you don't have to stack firmware updates but that installing the latest firmware is enough.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
1.10 looks OK to me.
+1
06-21-2011, 01:43 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gedasst Quote
Im just yesterday ordered my K-5 Silver, and on this site i see diferent firmware for "K-5" and "K-5 Silver" : Downloads - PENTAX Europe Imaging Systems

Its realy mean, software is diferent, or its just for "dummies" ?
It points to the same file...

06-21-2011, 03:41 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
It points to the same file...
Right. I can just see someone with the Silver K5 getting angry because people with standard K5s got a firmware update and they were left high and dry.
06-21-2011, 05:21 AM   #70

Doesn't look like vid mode got any updates. Hot pixels not fixed and still have to go to LV in other mode to get rid of them in video.
06-21-2011, 06:31 AM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LH_NY Quote
Hot pixels not fixed and still have to go to LV in other mode to get rid of them in video.
Huh??? Did I miss something or is this common knowledge?
06-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Common knowledge...
06-21-2011, 07:46 AM   #73

Works for me, no change in AF what so ever
06-21-2011, 07:47 AM   #74
Veteran Member

A few mad comments/expectations in this thread - the best way to go with this is consider it as purely an upgrade to allow the new GPS add-on to work, that's it!!

I'm giving this one a miss until I here officially that any others fixes have been implemented as I don't intend buying the GPS and my K5 works fine as it is

Simon
06-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Has anyone ever been able to notice any practical difference between 24p and 25p?
Yes. When you drop 25p into a 24p timeline, it plays back at the wrong speed. NOt trying to be a smartass, but I used to wonder what the big deal was too. But when I septn the weekend working on a project with multiple people, al of who were shooting 24p, we could either waste time, staring at progress bars, conforming my footage to fit in with theirs, or I could shoot on a 5DmkII at 24p, and have no problems (except for constantly pulling focus the wrong direction...). If you were doing a self contained project where only 25p was being used, than it wouldn't be a problem. If I lived in Europe, where everyone shoot 25p, then it would be ok. But neither of those are the case. And it also becomes a problem when you want to start working with multiple cameras. I want to by an actual video specific camera to use in conjunction with my K-5. The question is, do I buy a European version that shoot 25p so it will work seamlessly with my K-5, but further build up the wall that makes it more difficult to collaborate with other people in the US; or do I by a US version that shoot 24p and 30p, and have to always be conforming one to work with the other, but have an easier time using it with other shooters here in the states? Neither solution is great. If the K-5 shot 1080p/24 and 1080p/30 like the two years older than it 5DmkII does, then there would be no problems.

As for lack of manual video controls, I was shooting in Vegas a few months ago, and there are obviously fluorescent lights everywhere. I couldn't lock my shutter speed to be a 1/60th to sync with the flickr of the lights, so lots of my clips have flickering light in them. Annoying.

(Also, the fact that this forums auto-embeds videos is nice usually, but it makes it hard to just reference something in passing through a text link...)

I love the K-5 as a still camera, and there isn't any other camera out there that I would rather have. But the more I used it for video work, the more I realize how badly Pentax dropped the ball on the video aspect of it. I hope they release something for it, I would love to use my K-5 more and more for video productions. But as it is, I find myself using it less and less.