Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're going to rent a camera for video work, why not rent a video camera? This is not a rhetorical question.

06-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
If you're going to rent a camera for video work, why not rent a video camera? This is not a rhetorical question.
Who said anything about renting? I assume you're replying to my last post?

I pretty much said it all in there. There are many time where a video specific camera would be the most ideal. But there are also times when a HDSLR would be the most ideal, like when you want to travel light and not have to bring two cameras to do photo and video, or when you want to shoot video on two cameras and use on of each. Very useful stuff.

The problem, is that due to it;s lack of framte rate options, the K-5 is difficult to mix with other cameras, which makes all of that annoying. For example, I'm looking at getting the new Sony FS100, which shoot 24, 30 and 60 fps at 1080p. The K-5 shoots 25 fps at 1080p. That means when I get the camera I want, it already doesn't work well with the camera I have (the K-5). I could buy the European PAL version, and then it would work with my K-5, and that would be find as long as I only ever wanted to work with myself and only myself. But as soon as I try to collaborate on something, everyone else is likely going to be shooting 24p or 30p, and then someone has to waste time conforming frame rates...

Cheers,
06-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote

I pretty much said it all in there. There are many time where a video specific camera would be the most ideal. But there are also times when a HDSLR would be the most ideal, like when you want to travel light and not have to bring two cameras to do photo and video, or when you want to shoot video on two cameras and use on of each. Very useful stuff.
Ditto... and it seem like it is not something difficult to do with a firmware update. I am so happy when I upgrade my K200D to K-5 (one of the reason being able to shoot video), but find out it is limiting compare to other brand.

Please... Pentax, update the video feature of K-5, have full manual control. When I see that stupid T2i have better video control than my K-5 I just so pissed.

Others who don't use video there is no need to bash on us who do use video. It is a trend in dSLR. Try have a new consumer dSLR without video and see how that sell? Those Canon guys have been grabbing up our Takumar lenses shooting amazing videos!

Lee
06-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote

The problem, is that due to it;s lack of framte rate options, the K-5 is difficult to mix with other cameras, which makes all of that annoying. For example, I'm looking at getting the new Sony FS100, which shoot 24, 30 and 60 fps at 1080p. The K-5 shoots 25 fps at 1080p. That means when I get the camera I want, it already doesn't work well with the camera I have (the K-5). I could buy the European PAL version, and then it would work with my K-5, and that would be find as long as I only ever wanted to work with myself and only myself. But as soon as I try to collaborate on something, everyone else is likely going to be shooting 24p or 30p, and then someone has to waste time conforming frame rates...

Cheers,

Depends if you want to be jack of all trades or not.

If video is that important to you then get a video camera.

06-21-2011, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Depends if you want to be jack of all trades or not.

If video is that important to you then get a video camera.
That's not remotely what I'm talking about. I don't want to be a jack of all trades, and in today's professional photography economy, it isn't considered so to do video. In fact, it's becoming expected. Video is that important to me, and I am going to get video specific rig. The problem is, as I was explaining to the person who asked what the problem is with 25p, is that Thanks to the lack of framerate options of the K-5, you can either only work with it, or only work with everything else. At least here in the states that's the case. Every other DSLR user, ifthey get more serious with video and move into a video specific rin, can still work their HDSLR into that workflow quite easily. But not with the K-5. I love this camera dearly, and want to keep using it. I'm not interested in going to Canon or Nikon, but Pentax needs to understand how many users they are turning away by not having these features. I've talked to lots of people, mostly working professional shooters, who really like what I'm saying when I tell them about the K-5 (because they always ask), and they think it sounds like a great camera, until I say that it doesn't have manual video controls or 24p/30p, at which point they are no longer interested. The K-5 would be the ultimate outdoor/adventure filming tools if it had better video functionality.
06-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Thanks for your interesting perspective, I hadn't thought of that before. Like most on this forum I'm just a hobby shooter, so I wondered what the big deal was over 25p vs 24p, if I'm videoing my kids soccer or kids birthday party then 25p is no big deal. It's good to get the perspective from a pro on why 24p is important, and manual control too for that matter, actually and h264 for that matter.

Seems video is becoming expected of any pro photographer so I agree Pentax will need to address it in the next body, if not in a future firmware release for the K-5 (just as Canon did for the 5D2)
06-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
It points to the same file...
Thanks.... is this the UK version? If so how long will I have to wait for the Australian version

06-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Thanks.... is this the UK version? If so how long will I have to wait for the Australian version
Just reverse the file so its "Upside down" and it works fine
06-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
Also, if you load the Australian version. The E-dials will work backwards. It's a magnetic thing...
06-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
Thanks ... that worked fine for me..... I thought I may have to wait 14 hrs with the time difference for the update to work... Pentax rocks... it went through without a hassle.

I noted with the Aussie version that when I throw away photos I dont want they return to me...can anyone confirm if this version is boomerang enhanced?

really guys how much can a koala bear

cheers
06-22-2011, 12:19 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Updated my K-5 to v1.10.23.13 earlier today and had a quick play with it. Haven't noticed any changes except for the addition of the GPS menu.

First thing that came to my mind was of Austen Tayshus' Australiana.
06-22-2011, 12:53 AM   #87
Site Supporter

Thanks ... that worked fine for me..... I thought I may have to wait 14 hrs with the time difference for the update to work... Pentax rocks... it went through without a hassle.

I noted with the Aussie version that when I throw away photos I dont want they return to me...can anyone confirm if this version is boomerang enhanced?

cheers
Just lucky you didn't install the UK version or you'd still hear your camera whining after it was turned off. Yeah, I know, that's nasty.
06-22-2011, 06:13 AM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Note for the french users, you have to remove the baguette crumbs before inserting the SD card...
06-22-2011, 06:14 AM   #89

The UK version comes with Fog enhancement menu, and tea time alarm... The Aussie has a strange noise like someone is playing some old Vuvuzela horn... and the Japanese one, has a new function that makes anyone´s eyes really big and round (manga eyes).

I´ve installed the Japanese, and I´m thinking about a future exhibition... "Pentax cos-play photos" :P
06-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Upgraded my K5 to the new firmware, but it's still a K5 rather than a 645D ...