Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Yes, even though I disagree with one point, I think it's a fair review without an agenda. Which is refreshing.

06-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #17
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good work la noona.
It's pretty much what I expected, but from my limited use of the 5DMk II, I was not as impressed with the high ISO performance as you have indicated compared with the K-5. Nevertheless, it is still very very good and even more impressive that it is relatively old technology that performs at least comparably to today's most advanced APS-C dSLRs.
06-22-2011, 01:21 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I noticed the same thing when comparing the K-5 to my 1DsMKIII, Nikon D3s and Leica M9 - the only thing that holds the K-5 back is the fact that it has a APS-C format sensor. Other than that it's performance is superb, and the wide dynamic range gives a real advantage.
06-22-2011, 01:36 AM   #19

Original Poster
Glad to read a lot of replies!

@Raybo: thank you! I'm very proud of that, but I must say google translate helps a lot.

Regarding the lens: Yes I suppose the 16-50 f/2,8 is better, but not a lot better (et least on paper). Moreover I think the Canon's opposite is not the 24-105 but the 24-70 f/2,8 which I can assure you is a lot better than the 24-105. Not to mention the Pentax 50-135: If it exceeds the Canon 70-200 f/2,8 I would be really impressed.

Regarding Sensitivity: 5DmkII is no (more) impressing. Its about one stop better than k-5 and 5DmkI. The gap varies depending on sensitivity, but generally around one stop till 1600 (my limit of safe usage).

06-22-2011, 07:32 AM   #20

Original Poster
Some more considerations

Glad you enjoyed my thread, I'm encouraged to do some more considerations about k-5 usage (I think is not the case to open a new thread):

I don't know if this is because of the dynamic range, but the prints from k-5 are very pleasing, rich, tridimensional. A pleasure to print in fine art baryta paper at 16-bit. Specially black and white have really something more!
Thant makes me even more angry for the lack of FF! Imagine what a FF sensor with this technology can do! Please Pentax don't let Nikon easily win this match!

Image stabilization: here I would like to know your experience, because it sounds very strange to me:
IS works very well till 1/40 but very badly around 1/80. I don't know if that is a mirror slap issue o something like that, but a lot of shots from 1/80 to 1/125 are strangely blurred, while a lot of shots at 1/25- 1/30 are perfectly sharp.
Same thing for you?
06-22-2011, 08:15 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by la_nonna Quote
Glad to read a lot of replies!

@Raybo: thank you! I'm very proud of that, but I must say google translate helps a lot.

Regarding the lens: Yes I suppose the 16-50 f/2,8 is better, but not a lot better (et least on paper). Moreover I think the Canon's opposite is not the 24-105 but the 24-70 f/2,8 which I can assure you is a lot better than the 24-105. Not to mention the Pentax 50-135: If it exceeds the Canon 70-200 f/2,8 I would be really impressed.

Regarding Sensitivity: 5DmkII is no (more) impressing. Its about one stop better than k-5 and 5DmkI. The gap varies depending on sensitivity, but generally around one stop till 1600 (my limit of safe usage).
I think if you use the L series with OS turned off they will quite likely be better (they should they cost close to twice the price when you look at the f2.8 models) but using the OS has been shown to cause some softening of the image, not something that has been show on the sensor based IS
06-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #22
CDW
Veteran Member

I'm a landscape/nature/travel shooter. I very much agree with the original poster in most respects. The cleanliness of the K-5 images, especially shadow/dark areas is superior to the 5D2. I owned a 5D2 before switching back to Pentax. Having shot Pentax MF film cameras for years, the transition was pretty easy. As for the a Pentax FF camera, Pentax has something better...it's called the 645D. :-) The low light performance of the 645D and freedom from shadow noise is also clearly superior to the 5D2 or any of the Canons, for that matter.
06-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice job!

06-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by couliseaux Quote
It's really not entirely fair to the K5 if you never use a DA* to unleash it's full potential. 50-135 looks to be the best, it's on my wish list. I'm very skeptical that Pentax will ever FF, the new lenses seem to suggest a commitment to APS-C format. I speculate that as sensor technology improves, the idea of FF will be irrelevant and perhaps obsolete, unless this distinction separates pro gear from consumer gear. They won't want big heavy cameras they can't stuff in a backpack. I'd love to see that line less blurry than it's getting. If it looked very apparent that they will release a FF, I'd buy sigma glass, so I can make the switch.
I fully agree. As the quality of APS-C improves, the IQ advantage of FF becomes increasingly less relevant, even if it persists into the future. For all but a few very demanding shooters, APS-C will provide as much IQ as they require. For the shrinking number who do want the absolute best IQ and are willing and able to deal with the added size, weight and expense, MF will be the ticket, not FF.

I might add that I do not think that we should assume that APS-C is the inevitable winner in the sensor size sweepstakes. Even smaller sensors may someday provide exceptionally good IQ.

Rob
06-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #25
Forum Member

Another thanks for what seems like an unbiased user review. You are undoubtedly an even rarer breed than a Pentaxian in that you use both!

I also would doubt Pentax will ever make a FF. That just isn't their market. That said, I get confused on what it is and have an easier time figuring out what it is not. So in that respect the two lines cannot really be compared. I have a similar thought on your comments about lenses...for the same $ you can get much more compared with Canikon. I have the 17 - 70 and get excellent results. If you are a pro and have the money to spend on L lenses then great, but otherwise I would argue the ROI is so small.
06-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I noticed the same thing when comparing the K-5 to my 1DsMKIII, Nikon D3s and Leica M9 - the only thing that holds the K-5 back is the fact that it has a APS-C format sensor. Other than that it's performance is superb, and the wide dynamic range gives a real advantage.
As I am sure that you are well aware, the smaller sensor is sometimes advantageous, e.g. when you want greater DOF or more telephoto reach. Hence, sensor size cuts both ways.

Rob
06-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Seems to me the iminent release of a new Pentax MILC with a brand new lens mount and family of lenses is making the FF dream more and more distant, just how many interchangeable lens formats can a company with the market share of Pentax support
06-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
the smaller sensor is sometimes advantageous, e.g. when you want greater DOF or more telephoto reach. Hence, sensor size cuts both ways
indeed it does, though for shots where I need great DOF is use a Tilt/shift lens and i'm able to get more DOF than any APS-C camera can.
06-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
indeed it does, though for shots where I need great DOF is use a Tilt/shift lens and i'm able to get more DOF than any APS-C camera can.
I wonder how many on this forum use tilt/shift lenses. Very, very few, I would bet. For all the rest of us who don't, the smaller sensor can sometimes give welcome DOF.

Rob
06-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #30
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
when you want greater DOF or more telephoto reach
Bear in mind, no crop sensor gives extra reach, it just crops the reach the lens has.