Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Otis claims wine tastes like shoe polish....any wine...and I tend to agree, but he would welcome a case of Premium brew or a bottle of fine Cognac.....

Seriously, back to the K5.....if you have a full functioning model, it would be hard for me to imagine parting with it. I can't imagine it, but then again, I am not the most demanding of shooters, and enjoy fun almost as much as shooting.....maybe you noticed? For amateurs like me, the K5 is more than I anticipated in ability, and provides a level of confidence I have not enjoyed in the past.
A brief stint with a K-7 was what made me seriously want the K-5. Had to work hard to get the funds, and sell a few lenses and old bodies that I cherished even if I wasn't using them. Now that I am ready, I am just personally not convinced yet its worth taking a risk with all the noise about the issues being reported from the field.

Plus, my recent discovery of K200d and its superb image quality has cast doubts over whether I am even ready for a K-5, at least for now. So I am playing the waiting game, either for the prices to come down where I'll feel comfortable taking the risk, or for the reported issues to be addressed. Or to just get over the K200d.

And speaking of game, Otis should get off the synthetics like shoe polish and try some Jim Beam Black. Not a big fan of the French/Brandy so Cognac is not an option, and brew makes me belch. But I'd still go with Cabernet Sauvignon if Otis was on a stick

07-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #32
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
A brief stint with a K-7 was what made me seriously want the K-5. Had to work hard to get the funds, and sell a few lenses and old bodies that I cherished even if I wasn't using them. Now that I am ready, I am just personally not convinced yet its worth taking a risk with all the noise about the issues being reported from the field.

Plus, my recent discovery of K200d and its superb image quality has cast doubts over whether I am even ready for a K-5, at least for now. So I am playing the waiting game, either for the prices to come down where I'll feel comfortable taking the risk, or for the reported issues to be addressed. Or to just get over the K200d.

And speaking of game, Otis should get off the synthetics like shoe polish and try some Jim Beam Black. Not a big fan of the French/Brandy so Cognac is not an option, and brew makes me belch. But I'd still go with Cabernet Sauvignon if Otis was on a stick

Otis lives on a stick.....no problem for Otis!

I can certainly understand your thinking on the K5 and being a little ...or a lot...hesitant. However, it involves more thought than what you are putting in the equation, I do believe.

First, the vast majority of shooters are far beyond just "pleased" with their K5 and report no problems or very minor problems. There is proof of this in the numbers, but like the squeaking wheel...we don't hear much of the three wheels that are silent, working perfectly.

Second, the K5 is truly a game changer, not just a cliche, but a real game changer.....it only takes a few minutes with a K5 for you to realize this. I have loved all my previous Pentax cameras, but this camera is different...very different. You can feel the power in your hands, and your confidence is boosted far beyond what any previous Pentax body gave you. It just happens...and it happens quickly, you don't have to let it "grow on you", it hits you like a ton of bricks. (which is a cliche....) These feelings...you are missing them...and you shouldn't be!

Thirdly, I wish I could buy everyone that desired a new camera a K5, but I realize that I can't. Everyone has their limitations financially, unfortunately.....and for those dedicated shooters that are not so fortunate, I certainly understand.....I've been in some pretty deep valleys in my lifetime, and although bountifully blessed now, I can relate...seriously relate. But......if there is any way a person can swing a K5, they should do it...do it for their love of photography...do it for themselves. Life is oh so short, and for me, I have few passions left in life and money is not one of them...but photography is. I want to enjoy it to my fullest ability, and the K5 is helping me do that like never before. Take away my K5 and my Squirrels and there is not a lot left of old Rupert in the way of passions. So if you love this as I do, time is ticking away every day......tomorrow comes, maybe, but today will never come around again. Money comes and goes......memories and that passion the K5 triggers can last you a lifetime.

A paid user K5 accolade by Ricoh..... No, very seriously, no kidding and no Otis joking, I meant every word I wrote here and wrote it as absolute truth. Passion, yes I have passion for myK5 and my photography...amateur or not, it is a big part of my simple life. I hope you get a K5 , and get it soon...then you can come back to this thread and thank me for telling you the absolute truth.

Best Regards!
Rupert
07-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #33
Veteran Member

very low shutter count K5 would be worth 75% of a the cheapest online price....

Rupert

the "grass may be greener"..and it may well be "better the devil you know"...but in the end.."nothing ventured, nothing gained" and "no point flogging a dead horse" :
07-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rupert, love your posts. Otis he is my hero........ Just like the song "cows with guns", I would love to see Otis in a chooper scouring the woods for hunters. He needs a commando hat through...... I wonder if he packs a K47........ or just a good over/under 12 guage Take care.

07-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #35

That squirrel certainly looks virile.
07-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
Rupert, love your posts. Otis he is my hero........ Just like the song "cows with guns", I would love to see Otis in a chooper scouring the woods for hunters. He needs a commando hat through...... I wonder if he packs a K47........ or just a good over/under 12 guage Take care.

Otis appreciates the comments...they all make his little head swell...and it looks like his belly too! Maybe it is just all that cold beer in our two month long heatwave?

With all these threats to Otis' safety going around, I caught him this evening hiding behind some "brush".....looks like he must really be worried?

[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards!
07-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
very low shutter count K5 would be worth 75% of a the cheapest online price....

Rupert

the "grass may be greener"..and it may well be "better the devil you know"...but in the end.."nothing ventured, nothing gained" and "no point flogging a dead horse" :
My horse is winning races left and right.....and if I could get more devils in my life like the K5, I might take up a new religion!

Best Regards!