Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
So did he have a problem, or was it the seven women?
He sounds like your son from memory ? Hows the wedding plans ?

07-18-2011, 07:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Sort of reminds me of the time I was fishing about 50 years ago and heard two old men on the creek bank next to me talking......One said to the other, "You know John, I have been married seven times, and married the same woman every time." "Sure, they all looked different, but every one was the same woman.
HAHAHAA!
HAHA!
HA!
hmmmm

Sounds to me like the guy never ventured out of the same family in his wife selections
07-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
He sounds like your son from memory ? Hows the wedding plans ?
He is still planning his next wedding.......I told him he should look for some sort of special where he would get a discount on his next one......but just like cameras, it was never his problem, it was always that he had purchased faulty equipment!

That grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it.....
"The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence . . . " Fine Art Print by Bonnie T. Barry | RedBubble

None of us are immune, some of us have learned to accept things we don't like better than others, but we all fall victim to greener grass at one time or another....I've got my stories, everyone does.
Is The Grass Really Greener On the Other Side of The Fence Or Did Someone Just Spray Paint Your Lawn? | Socyberty

Not denying that needs can dictate a change, or repeated disappointments, or just a desire for a new experience. That last one damn near got me shot once...and if Mrs Rupert's pistola had not misfired, I wouldn't be here today!

Still, I have found that "The Devil I know is better than the Devil I don't know" is a good rule for most situations. It won't often fail you if you have that little trickle of doubt that triggers the thought.

Pentax has some nice features, some great glass, and for most it will exceed their capabilities by a mile....if they are like me.

Best Regards!
07-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Time Will Tell

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
It's a little early yet, but I'm 85% sure I'll be selling my Pentax gear soon in favor of taking things into a completely different direction.
And so I was wondering if anyone cared to share what they considered a good price for a barely used K-5 in excellent condition.
Hi John,

I think we would all miss your enthusiasm if you decide to move on from Pentax, but you gotta do what you gotta do, as the saying goes.

I was very close to leaving Pentax (after 30+ years) when the K5 came around, and then again when 3 K5 bodies all had serious FF (and stains) that Pentax was slow to address.

I must thank Adam here for talking me down from the ledge, so to speak, and my current K5 is the best camera I have ever owned.

That being said, the current problems being reported along with the never addressed SDM failures and sale of Pentax coupled with the uncertainty of what Ricoh plans to do with the product seemed certain to me to start a rush for the exits, which is understandable. Perhaps this does not apply to you, but to (finally) answer your question:

I would consider a used K5 to be a good deal if it was under $1,000 that had been used by a trusted member like yourself. Unfortunately, the K5 has had enough problems in it's short history that many will be somewhat reluctant to buy one used, which is going to accelerate the depreciation.

Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go and be sure to give me first shot if you decide to sell

Ray

07-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #20

I'd love a second one for half retail used
07-19-2011, 01:03 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm saving to buy one at the moment and I'd buy one for around $900 secondhand off someone reputable.
07-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think anything below 1K would get my attention. Exactly how much below that depends on the condition, shutter count, whether everything from the original shipment is included and of course, the reputation of the seller.

I would probably prefer a copy that's been owned the longest with a relatively smaller shutter count.

07-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I won't sell my K5, but I might consider an adoption/lease program?

Considering....
*It has no FF problems
*It has no BF problems
* It has no flash problems in any position
*It has no sensor stains
* It has no clapping shutter problems
* It has no going dead problems.....even in high heat like the 106F today.
*It has no dial or control knob problems
* It has no dust under the LCD...and if it did, so do almost all cameras sooner or later.
* Other problems.....not a one so far.

Since it is used or shall we say, well tested, and it is near perfect and a Jewel of a camera, and a delight to use....also carrying the transferable Ltd Gold Otis Guarantee, I will be willing to lease it out to someone for a year for $2K...American. I will retain weekend visitation rights, you pay the airfare, and it must have its own seat in First Class, because it is a First Class camera. You get half of Summer vacation with it and I get the other....and I get to choose which half.

For those that have a K5 like mine, you will recognize this as a fantastic bargain for someone out there that is longing for the camera of their dreams.....I've got it right here waiting for you!
No, the terms are not negotiable. You don't insult a K5 like mine.....Otis would not appreciate it!

Best Regards!
Rupert
07-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

lol Rupert, I think I might just keep hunting for a new one. I'm struggling at the moment to decide whether to buy Aussie stock (ranging from $1569 upwards) or buy grey import and pay duties and tax and still be cheaper than Aussie. If there weren't so many issues being reported about the K5, I wouldn't hesitate to buy grey/parallel.
07-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
lol Rupert, I think I might just keep hunting for a new one. I'm struggling at the moment to decide whether to buy Aussie stock (ranging from $1569 upwards) or buy grey import and pay duties and tax and still be cheaper than Aussie. If there weren't so many issues being reported about the K5, I wouldn't hesitate to buy grey/parallel.
Hi Nicole,

I just purchased a grey import K5. I was not charged gst. You don't pay import charges anyway. I popped into a local store in Australia and checked out a K5 they wanted $1799 body only. I payed $1119 plus $41 delivery in 3 days.

I was a little put off by the reports of various issues but every camera has those. The K5 is awesome, so many fantastic features. If you need advice on buying one grey let me know.

cheers

Phil
07-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You don't insult a K5 like mine.....Otis would not appreciate it!
Rupert
Hmm, I wonder if I'll recognize Otis if I see him in my scope atop the 30-30 next Spring
07-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
Hmm, I wonder if I'll recognize Otis if I see him in my scope atop the 30-30 next Spring
I doubt it....but you will know he saw you just as you feel the cold steel of his grenade drop down the back of your neck between your shirt and skin. You won't feel a thing after that....at least I haven't heard anyone complain other than a few neighbors that thought the excessive noise was...excessive. You'll let us know .....right?

Best Regards!

Otis wanted to add this for you to make your hunt more fair.....he might be difficult to spot in his "stealth mode". He says you will be easy to see from his 80 ft up position in a big Oak tree.....you will be the guy with the bright fluorescent yellow safety vest, carrying a gun and ammo bag, a camera and tripod, and a bag full of lenses....easy to hear coming too......you will be cursing like asailor at the poison ivy, the briars that snagged your camera lens bag and dumped your Ltds on the ground where they were quickly covered with Fire Ants.....just before they covered you too...and right before you reached to retrieve those lenses.....didn't see that big Copperhead, did you?
Otis loves his woods, and hopes you have a pleasant visit, he just loves to play hide and seek.

Lookin' good Otis! We can barely see you!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Last edited by Rupert; 07-20-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: add
07-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, if he can get that close, its game alright! May be I should pack a bottle of red wine to go with Otis on campfire

drop down the back of your neck between your shirt and skin.
07-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Thanks Philby It will be a little while yet, just waiting for taxes to come back so I can use some and save some more.
07-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
Yeah, if he can get that close, its game alright! May be I should pack a bottle of red wine to go with Otis on campfire
Otis claims wine tastes like shoe polish....any wine...and I tend to agree, but he would welcome a case of Premium brew or a bottle of fine Cognac.....

He has one of his paid guards posted at the edge of his woods, just in case you try to sneak in. He says this guy works for hay and is horny 24/7...so be careful!

Best Regards!
[IMG] [/IMG]
Seriously, back to the K5.....if you have a full functioning model, it would be hard for me to imagine parting with it. I can't imagine it, but then again, I am not the most demanding of shooters, and enjoy fun almost as much as shooting.....maybe you noticed? For amateurs like me, the K5 is more than I anticipated in ability, and provides a level of confidence I have not enjoyed in the past.