Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2011, 03:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
quick download of the picture and peek at the exif says a 250mm lens, so im guessing its the DA*60-250.

also, between your camera choicses, i'd probably go for the 60d if the last two things on your wants list were super important and k-5 if you can live without em.

06-23-2011, 03:49 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It sounds like the K5 has 90 percent of the things you want, although it falls down somewhat in the video area. There are work arounds, to get the exposure/settings you want, but it certainly isn't as easy as just dialing in settings.

I agree with adpo. If video is your thing, then Canon seems to be at the forefront with their cameras (all of which seem to have the same 18 mp sensor).

On the other hand, I do feel like Pentax offers quite a bit. Compactness is important to me. A K5 with a DA limited can go anywhere. Take Canon/Nikon with one of their higher end lenses and you will lose some of that portability.
06-23-2011, 04:04 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by valy Quote
- movie full hd, manual exposure controls (for astrophoto)
How can solve this? Can I cheat somehow? If there is an option then doesn't matter if is easy or hard to do it.

- control from PC: camera settings, live preview (astrophoto)
I found that there is a software that controls the camera, but doesn't do live view. This can be achieved thru a separate TV/Monitor (with HDMI IN). Of course can be used the on camera live view.
06-23-2011, 04:07 AM   #19

Thinks I don't like about k-5
- SD cards :slow and less secure than CF
- zoom lenses not comparable with the opponents
- No FF. I know there is the MF 645 but its not the same thing

06-23-2011, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by la_nonna Quote
Are you sure about that?
06-23-2011, 04:16 AM   #21
Veteran Member

For what it's worth, I too started with the K100Ds and then recently upgraded to a K5. The capabilities of the K5 far outshine those of the K100Ds workhorse I had used for so long. Tethering and Movie controls aren't too big a deal for me so it has been a pretty welcome upgrade and well worth the price in my opinion.
06-23-2011, 04:31 AM   #22

Original Poster
I don't know is SD is fast or slow but if I could get 7fps the I don't care. The problem is when the buffer is full and the camera must write the images while you still shooting. If I have a lag of 2-3 secs when I can't take images then there is a problem.

Regarding the FPS:
- a wish is the possibility to set the fps between 1-7, not just low and high.

MrApollinax, of course K5 is like a dream compared with the k100d, I don't have any doubt, but k5 is not perfect.

06-23-2011, 06:07 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I don't know is SD is fast or slow but if I could get 7fps the I don't care. The problem is when the buffer is full and the camera must write the images while you still shooting. If I have a lag of 2-3 secs when I can't take images then there is a problem.
When the buffer is full, the shooting rate will drop. Most cameras do this. Only the pro cameras have the throughput to sustain burst shooting indefinitely, like Canon 1D I think. Check the specs and reviews for detailed info about the cameras on your short list.

You can still take more pictures, change exposure and shooting mode while the K-5 clears its buffer to the card. But you can't review pictures or go into the menus, it'll show an hourglass on the screen. If you reduce the jpeg size, the buffer will clear faster. I sometimes do this for casual work.

Sincerely,
--Anders.
06-23-2011, 07:02 AM   #24

Olympus IBIS has panning modes

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Pentax stabilization is in the body and shifts the sensor (focal plane) in all 3 axis. The system used on Canon and Nikon damps the movement on the lens elements. The "panning mode" for Canon - which is only available on some IS lenses that feature 2 gyros - simply disables this dampening action on the panning direction. For all effects, is the same as disabling IS.
It's possible to implement IBIS with modes for panning -- Olympus does.
06-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by la_nonna Quote
first time I heard it... SD card is the defacto standard (and will get faster) it will replace CF which not only bulky but the pin connectors are prone to fail or bent.
If anything, SD card will get better, faster and cheaper, easier to insert/reinsert than CF card, which is used only in certain Canikon 'older' camera models.

Last edited by aleonx3; 06-23-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: added comments
06-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is what I call a good image. What lens did you used?
Thanks.
Thanks valy, it was the DA*60-250 f/4
06-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #27
Pentaxian

- SR on one axis for panning
>> IIRC its 2 or 3 axis

- does not produces consistent sharp images as for example nikon does. I've seen "almost perfect" images taken with nikon (BIF, air shows, action, kids) but not so many (actually only very few) with pentax
>> Not really true. There are much more users for Nikon, therefore more genres shot as a result (we can even claim that Pentax cannot do fashion if its based on shots done by brand of camera).
The camera is capable of getting most shots if the user knows what to do (at least on APS-S). On APS-C, the claim is that Canikon is better, but I have no had experience of this to comment.

- movie manual controls
>>Not a strong point for Pentax. How serious are you in doing movies anyway?
With that I mean, if you are looking at high production standard kind of stuff (together
with associated techniques and setups) , maybe settle for an industry 'standard' 5DII.
If its more for America's Funniest Videos type shots, then anything with video will do.
06-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by valy:
;1553314.....
K-5:
-- does not produces consistent sharp images as for example nikon does. I've seen "almost perfect" images taken with nikon (BIF, air shows, action, kids) but not so many (actually only very few) with pentax
- movie manual controls
Thanks for your opinions.
I'm not sure how you got the impression the K-5 cannot take consistently sharp images. I suppose if you just hang around the K-5 forum here you will read a lot of loudly expressed negatives...part of the reason I rarely visit here now.

I prefer to spend my free time taking shots with my K-5, and it hasn't dissappointed me. For high-speed action I would say equivalent Nikon models do it with less effort, for most other situations I've been in the K-5 is NOT inferior in any way.
06-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
does not produces consistent sharp images as for example nikon does. I've seen "almost perfect" images taken with nikon (BIF, air shows, action, kids) but not so many (actually only very few) with pentax
The question that comes across my mind when reading this is why anyone would believe such a thing?

Last edited by JohnBee; 06-23-2011 at 03:20 PM.
06-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #30
Veteran Member

No the K-5 is not perfect but its better than any other APS-C camera out there, and unless your very very good, its probably better than you are.