06-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by valy Quote
- does not produces consistent sharp images as for example nikon does
that was a joke, right?

06-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
When the buffer is full, the shooting rate will drop. Most cameras do this. Only the pro cameras have the throughput to sustain burst shooting indefinitely, like Canon 1D I think. Check the specs and reviews for detailed info about the cameras on your short list.

You can still take more pictures, change exposure and shooting mode while the K-5 clears its buffer to the card. But you can't review pictures or go into the menus, it'll show an hourglass on the screen. If you reduce the jpeg size, the buffer will clear faster. I sometimes do this for casual work.

Sincerely,
--Anders.
k-5 freezed a couple of times, i think because of the full buffer-slow write speed. that has never happened with Cf equipped cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
first time I heard it... SD card is the defacto standard (and will get faster) it will replace CF which not only bulky but the pin connectors are prone to fail or bent.
If anything, SD card will get better, faster and cheaper, easier to insert/reinsert than CF card, which is used only in certain Canikon 'older' camera models.
I've lost some data because of broken SD cards sometimes, and at least once a week one of my clients comes to me asking to recover fisicaly broken sd cards.
You can't smash a CF so easily.
06-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by la_nonna Quote
k-5 freezed a couple of times, i think because of the full buffer-slow write speed. that has never happened with Cf equipped cameras.
As a RAW shooter, I can attest that this has never happened to me with the K-5 to date. And I shoot in the buffer quite a bit.

Furthermore, when I was shooting a D700(CF), it too had write time and delays and so the K-5 is no different to that effect. However... the D7K(for example) has a very small RAW buffer and though it handles writes differently, the buffer size(as a whole) pretty much renders it useless.

QuoteQuote:
I've lost some data because of broken SD cards sometimes, and at least once a week one of my clients comes to me asking to recover fisicaly broken sd cards.
You can't smash a CF so easily.
Here again, I can't say I've experienced this.
Though I did loose an SD card several years ago with a P&S(Canon) which was attributed to poor quality product(cheap card). However that was the first and last time I have ever lost any data from an SD card. And I'm certain I've owned and used at least 50 cards since I began shooting Pentax aprox. 6 years ago.

As for CF, I've had a few get damaged on me due to pins. Which is strange in fact because my experience has been reversed as I've experienced more CF damage than with the SD cards. - And so I don't think were looking at an open and shut case at this level of things.

Either way, on the buffer issue, the K-5 is in no way an exception amidst the competition. The only other camera that I've used which stood out in terms of read/write delays was the 7D(which was very impressive). However, the K-5 does not prohibit shooting while writing data even in RAW. And that's a very good thing if you think about it.

Last edited by JohnBee; 06-23-2011 at 04:42 PM.
06-24-2011, 01:02 AM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stanic Quote
that was a joke, right?
Well, not. As I said, all that I know about k5 is from internet (forums, "impressions", images). Good images I can produce with my k100d and 18-55 kit lenses. My mistake was that the statement "does not produces consistent sharp images as for example nikon does" refers more to the tele field, distant objects. I just like how nikon produces images with tele lenses, even with a relatively cheap 70-300 zoom lense at 300mm. Of course, most of them probably are shoot with expensive tele lenses. This could be my mistake of comparing apples with oranges. But my impression is that nikon is better.
I've also seen perfect images (portrets, details) with pentax (k7, especially k5) but this is for short focal lengths and close subject.

06-24-2011, 01:06 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Well, not. As I said, all that I know about k5 is from internet (forums, "impressions", images). Good images I can produce with my k100d and 18-55 kit lenses. My mistake was that the statement "does not produces consistent sharp images as for example nikon does" refers more to the tele field, distant objects. I just like how nikon produces images with tele lenses, even with a relatively cheap 70-300 zoom lense at 300mm. Of course, most of them probably are shoot with expensive tele lenses. This could be my mistake of comparing apples with oranges. But my impression is that nikon is better.
I've also seen perfect images (portrets, details) with pentax (k7, especially k5) but this is for short focal lengths and close subject.
my K5 with the sigma 70-300 did not need any af adjustments and is spot on...
if you have a feeling that nikon is better, buy nikon
06-24-2011, 01:40 AM   #36

Original Poster
if you have a feeling that nikon is better, buy nikon
Yes, I know. But I want to have the feeling that k5 is close to nikon regarding AF-S/AF-C and the images are close to nikon images. But is difficult to figure out if the images ar good because nikon's AF or because the nikon's (expensive) lenses.
06-24-2011, 01:51 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Yes, I know. But I want to have the feeling that k5 is close to nikon regarding AF-S/AF-C and the images are close to nikon images. But is difficult to figure out if the images ar good because nikon's AF or because the nikon's (expensive) lenses.
well, hard to answer to these speculations...

06-24-2011, 02:04 AM   #38

Original Poster
At least I've tried. I knew from the start that this will be difficult and most of the conclusions from the internet are just speculations.
It is easy to say "you want movie, switch to canon", "you want tele switch to nikon". I want k5 and I want to know how to solve it's issues (if there is a real issue).
Comming back to movie, it is there some techniques to set a specific (constat) exposure/iso/aperture? For example I want to shoot a black bird on a white background. What the camera will do? Exposure the background and showing a very black bird? Can I set exposure and lock it in order to keep it constant?
06-24-2011, 02:18 AM   #39
Veteran Member

At least I've tried. I knew from the start that this will be difficult and most of the conclusions from the internet are just speculations.
It is easy to say "you want movie, switch to canon", "you want tele switch to nikon". I want k5 and I want to know how to solve it's issues (if there is a real issue).
Comming back to movie, it is there some techniques to set a specific (constat) exposure/iso/aperture? For example I want to shoot a black bird on a white background. What the camera will do? Exposure the background and showing a very black bird? Can I set exposure and lock it in order to keep it constant?
the only issue I am aware of is the indirect flash overexposure, but there is a workaround..
so far I am very happy with the K5, I also tried the AF in tungsten and can not see any trouble (but didn`t use it at some event seriously yet)
movie - you can select in the movie menu "fixed aperture on", then the camera changes ISO during filming, and before you start filming you can choose EV compensation and it will then be locked - the same as with k-x
06-24-2011, 02:24 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
techinically, yes. change the function of the exposure lock/af button on back to lock exposure in video, set focus point to center. while in movie mode, meter to the bird and press the exposure lock button, then start filming. If you really want control over your aperture, you can partially unmount your lens and set aperture via aperture ring, but i dont think its really worth the trouble/risk.

as for k-5 af issues, it really comes down more to technique than anything. If you're technique is down, then a fancy AF system with 3d tracking and countless AF points only make it easier for you to achieve something, its not required. Technique is required however, since poor technique results in poor images, even with the fancy AF system/expensive gear.

If you want a k-5, then get a k-5, chances are, you'll find it plenty good for what you want it for. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done 99 times out of 100 in good hands. Hell, my k-x gets the job done 50 times out of 100, and the bad 50 is purely user error. People have done some amazing videos with pentax cameras, and while its not as easy as using a canon, it can do it.

Last edited by adpo; 06-24-2011 at 02:39 AM.
06-24-2011, 02:29 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photographer > equipment
06-24-2011, 02:52 AM   #42

Original Poster
Regarding movie, for example:
- filming jupiter with telescope, I must underexpose alot
- filming the moon, I must set a fixed exposure even a cloud passes over it
For filming with telescope, aperture is fixed by default.

yeatzee, for general photography you right, but there are some situation when the photographer can't do anything and must rely almost 100% on the camera. For example if you require 5 fps for 10 secs you can't do anything but expect the camera to perform this, is not a matter of skill or knowledge. Or if you want to properly set the exposure for black bird over white background the camera must handle/allow this otherwise you will underexpose the bird.
06-24-2011, 02:55 AM   #43
Veteran Member

- filming the moon, I must set a fixed exposure even a cloud passes over it
I am not sure if pentax`s video implementation is going to satisfy you then
06-24-2011, 03:14 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am not sure if pentax`s video implementation is going to satisfy you then
agreed, there's just not enough manual control in the k-5 to cover what you want to do video-wise. we say go with canon for a reason- it has all the control and features video people want.

also, you will not be getting continuous burst fire at 7fps for 10 seconds.

if you want the k-5, then get it. Just understand that it does not feature everything you're looking for.
06-24-2011, 03:33 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've never used a K-5 - I'm happy enough with my K-7 although I'd have a K-5 in a heartbeat if I needed a new camera.

However, I'm going to skip the K-5 I think, lovely as it is. If and when my k-7 dies, I would like:

1) a few more focus points that are smaller and more densely placed
2) tethering
3) as much control when shooting video as one has shooting stills
4) more dynamic range - not because the k-5 needs it, but because technology marches on, and if the k-next doesn't have it, this forum will be swamped with complaints about it!
5) a system with some longer lenses
6) faster flash sync - although I'm not that bothered

Not much, in essence. The k-5 has a few of those over the k-7 (well, it has the same number of focus points, but it uses them better) so I have no reason to suspect the k-next won't have them over the k-5.

What will be interesting is what we want when the k-next-next comes around.