Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 04:12 AM - 1 Like   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is a sticky on how to control video on K7. I think it works on the K5 as well, but it is definitely a work-around solution. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-video-forum/104903-guide-manually-...ure-k-7-a.html

06-24-2011, 04:17 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
As a RAW shooter, I can attest that this has never happened to me with the K-5 to date. And I shoot in the buffer quite a bit.

Furthermore, when I was shooting a D700(CF), it too had write time and delays and so the K-5 is no different to that effect. However... the D7K(for example) has a very small RAW buffer and though it handles writes differently, the buffer size(as a whole) pretty much renders it useless.

Here again, I can't say I've experienced this.
Though I did loose an SD card several years ago with a P&S(Canon) which was attributed to poor quality product(cheap card). However that was the first and last time I have ever lost any data from an SD card. And I'm certain I've owned and used at least 50 cards since I began shooting Pentax aprox. 6 years ago.

As for CF, I've had a few get damaged on me due to pins. Which is strange in fact because my experience has been reversed as I've experienced more CF damage than with the SD cards. - And so I don't think were looking at an open and shut case at this level of things.

Either way, on the buffer issue, the K-5 is in no way an exception amidst the competition. The only other camera that I've used which stood out in terms of read/write delays was the 7D(which was very impressive). However, the K-5 does not prohibit shooting while writing data even in RAW. And that's a very good thing if you think about it.
My feeling is that people struggle with SD cards when they use them too long and use really cheap ones. I have only had one card that had issues and that was when the read only/write tab broke off. I could still get information off of the card, I just couldn't write information to the card.

I also think newbies tend not to format their cards as often.
06-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by valy Quote
does not produces consistent sharp images as for example nikon does. I've seen "almost perfect" images taken with nikon (BIF, air shows, action, kids) but not so many (actually only very few) with pentax
I wish a better TC with AF (nikon has god and expensive ones)

Wow! I didn't know that Nikon had god on its side.:ugh: No wonder Nikon takes 'almost perfect' pictures.
06-24-2011, 07:02 AM   #49

Original Poster
Yes, you right, god is on the pentax side, they need it, nikon doesn't, they are perfect .
Sorry about mistake.

06-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
I find it amusing that shake reduction, weather sealing, build quality and compact size are hardly on top of the list for most people. As someone who likes shooting primes and traveling around with a camera, those are the things I value the most on the Pentax system.
BRAVO! Well said!

I just LOVE the looks I get from the canon/nikon shooters when they see me in the rain/snow/cold/dust/etc! I happily head back to my computer and process my tack-sharp raw files while they head who-knows-where with the shots they got from inside their vehicles (or whatever)!

06-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sjtryon Quote
BRAVO! Well said!

I just LOVE the looks I get from the canon/nikon shooters when they see me in the rain/snow/cold/dust/etc! I happily head back to my computer and process my tack-sharp raw files while they head who-knows-where with the shots they got from inside their vehicles (or whatever)!

Absolutely - I presume this will continue in the k-next though? It's one of the reasons I chose the k10, and one of the reasons I replaced it with a k-7 even though the k-x is 'better'.

Pictures like this say a lot about my holidays

06-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #52
Veteran Member

It seems to me that your head wants a Pentax but your heart wants a Nikon. I can't say why that might be, but if you buy the Pentax you'll blame any problems you have on the camera and wish you had that 'perfect' Nikon instead.

So, buy the Nikon!

See you again in 18 months.

06-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #53

Original Poster
My head wants pentax because I have some things on pentax K mount and is cheapest for me to continue with pentax. Also SR, better and not so heavy body, good DR are pros for k5.
Anyway, if I were new in this field, the decision would be again between canon 60d, nikon d7000 and pentax k5. Nikon is a little bit expensive in some aspects: PC control software is 150E. Pentax behaves very good with manual lenses (exposure, AF confirmation, SR). Canon is ok on movies, very flexible for astropho (control from PC, allot of free software for this).
Actually I try to convince me that so called disadvantages of K5 can be passed somehow.
My hard doesn't want anything, she just pomps blood to support my head in wanting different things.
06-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Canon is ok on movies, very flexible for astropho (control from PC, allot of free software for this)..
Have you seen the newly announced GPS module, that allows limited astro tracking on the K-5 by rotating the sensor?
06-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #55
Veteran Member

You have hundreds of photo HERE that show that the quality of the photo taken by the K-5 is as good as Nikon
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/123731-no-more-tests-just-pictures.html
06-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Hey valy, just read the entire thread and the impression that i get is that you keep going back and forth comparing nikon and pentax. You've only commented on the faults in a pentax system and constantly praises the nikon system. I think you should go with Nikon.

Seems like the only reason you want a K5 is because you have a K100d and some "accessories". If you are unhappy with Pentax, just go with a Nikon, especially with all the praises from you. =]
06-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #57
Veteran Member

My hard doesn't want anything, she just pomps blood to support my head in wanting different things.
i think you were talking about your heart...
06-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #58
Veteran Member

yeatzee, for general photography you right, but there are some situation when the photographer can't do anything and must rely almost 100% on the camera. For example if you require 5 fps for 10 secs you can't do anything but expect the camera to perform this, is not a matter of skill or knowledge. Or if you want to properly set the exposure for black bird over white background the camera must handle/allow this otherwise you will underexpose the bird.
I disagree. Why would you require 5 fps for 10 seconds? Is it for a shot containing multiple shots? If not than what is stopping you from pulling off the perfect motion shot with just one image? People did it with film all of the time so why can't you? It is absolutely a matter of skill AND knowledge. If you know your subjects movements you'll know exactly when to take that shot

As for the black bird over white background, since we are talking about the K-5 (best DR in its class right and than some?) that should not be a problem. For lesser cameras, a skilled photographer can take two images and combine the exposures to get the desired results. There's always a work around.
06-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #59
Veteran Member

If your lazy, disregard all I said above and just buy Nikon. They are apparently perfect in your eyes and if you buy pentax we will all have to hear the shoulda coulda woulda's from an unhappy buyer. Your right, Nikon is perfect....
06-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
You've only commented on the faults in a pentax system and constantly praises the nikon system
kind of narrow-minded behaviour really

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
if you buy pentax we will all have to hear the shoulda coulda woulda's from an unhappy buyer
you hit the nail Tanner