Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #61
Forum Member

Lets not gang up on the guy. My bro and I bought our DSLRs around the same time before a big vacation, he went with the Nikon D90 and I the K-7 and from time to time I would wonder if I made the right choice, the D90 just killed my K-7 in high ISO, moon and night sky shots, etc... I dont think you can go wrong with a Nikon.

Now, having said that, for the most part I've been happy with the K-7 for the reasons I bought the camera. The ruggedness and weather-proofing (I still get WTF looks when I fearlessly go out into the weather, the water, etc... ), frame worthy HDR shots, portraits, sharp close-ups, etc...

Not sure if this will help any but part of the reason I want a K-5 now is to get the camera I wanted when I bought the K-7, the all purpose tool which was missing the High ISO (K-5 and D7000 share same sensor!). I still can't forgive my K-7 for the noisy shots it took at my brother's wedding.

So all that leaves is the video. I bought a Sony P&S (HX9v) for that, which some site rated better than a DSLR Canon. When I do video, I'm not looking to get artistic, I'm worrying about getting my kids part of the recital without hunting for focus, while zooming, etc... blurring the big part while I figure out WTF I'm doing.

I don't think you're going to find the perfect camera, technology moves too fast and there will always be an innovation on one model / make that sets it apart from the rest. I'm coming to terms with this myself, I'm sure I'm going to want the K-3 if that ever exists also.

06-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #62

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
Seems like the only reason you want a K5 is because you have a K100d and some "accessories". If you are unhappy with Pentax, just go with a Nikon, especially with all the praises from you
For me tamron 70-200 f2.8 is a little more than "some accessories".

Perhaps I was not clear. I'm pleased with my pentax. For what it costs and for what is written in the specs 100d is ok. I can't be unhappy because it does not takes movies or because it does not have live view, etc., that's why I'm thinking to an upgrade.

You've only commented on the faults in a pentax system and constantly praises the nikon system
I commented only faults because this is worries me. The idea is not to show the k5 has faults but to find if there is a real concern or to find workaround to these issues. Nikon is just an example, something to compare with. As I said, none is perfect, canon, nikon, etc, so that's why I'm here to investigate. If nikon was the perfect gear for me I have been already "nikon proudly owner", but I'm not...yet .

I know the "No more tests, just pictures" thread, now I'm at the third reading. I found some stunning shots there, most of them.
06-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #63
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by valy Quote
For what it costs and for what is written in the specs 100d is ok
For *your* purposes. But that's all the justification you need to be happy enough with the K100D, and find the K-5 not enough value for money. If it's only for LV and video, then a K-x or K-r would suffice, and keep a lot more money in your pocket.

I commented only faults because this is worries me
I'd suggest not worrying about them. If you want one, just get one and see how you go with it. The vast majority of K-5's are just fine, and don't need any working around.

I may have a slight issue with P-TTL overexposure, but my K-5 is otherwise a stalwart performer in every way. It has made my low light and landscape photography (amongst other uses) that much easier and more brilliant.
06-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #64

Original Poster
I just can't think to k-x or k-r when k5 is there. Anyway is not only lv or video, is more than that (mentioned before, handling, fps, focus, viewfinder, body, etc).

Blitz is not my domain, I'm pleased with the on board blitz. I don't do fashion or weddings, but who knows, probably in the future I could get an external flash.

Last edited by valy; 06-24-2011 at 03:12 PM.
06-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #65
Veteran Member

For me tamron 70-200 f2.8 is a little more than "some accessories".
Also available on Nikon mount and Canon mount; also Nikon's has other variations too. Not saying you should jump ship to Nikon for this lens, but I'm just saying that if you really really like this lens, you can also get it for another system; if that's what holding you back from converting to Nikon.

Perhaps I was not clear. I'm pleased with my pentax. For what it costs and for what is written in the specs 100d is ok. I can't be unhappy because it does not takes movies or because it does not have live view, etc., that's why I'm thinking to an upgrade.
Nothing wrong with wanting to upgrade.

I commented only faults because this is worries me. The idea is not to show the k5 has faults but to find if there is a real concern or to find workaround to these issues. Nikon is just an example, something to compare with. As I said, none is perfect, canon, nikon, etc, so that's why I'm here to investigate. If nikon was the perfect gear for me I have been already "nikon proudly owner", but I'm not...yet .
"not... yet"... again with your subtle hints. dude, you want nikon, you know it and we all can sense it in this thread. You honestly haven't said anything bad about the nikon d7000, so why not go nikon? seems like you've already made your decision. I really hope you're not here because you think that forum members here will plead for you to stick with pentax with loving and lavish responses. if you don't feel that the k5 will live up to your expectations, you can always go with a different system (cough* nikon). no one will get mad you ;].

I know the "No more tests, just pictures" thread, now I'm at the third reading. I found some stunning shots there, most of them.
Definitely check those pictures out, some are amazing! But again, I'm sure there are plenty of beautiful Nikon pictures taken with the D7000 online. When it all comes down to it, it is all about the photographer. A camera is just a tool, it's the person behind the viewfinder that makes the image.

Last edited by Eagle_Friends; 06-24-2011 at 03:33 PM.
06-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #66

Original Poster
I really hope you're not here because you think that forum members here will plead for you to stick with pentax
I'm here to find some answers, to solve some issues discovered and to discover others that might be.

For example I found some workaround regarding manual settings on k-7 video that could work for k5. I found that fast moving objects (planes, birds) are not a real concern, even 50-300 handles this very well. Strange but some pictures with 300 f4 are not as sharp as I expect to be.

I know tamron is also for canon/nikon, this is not a problem. Switching means selling this and losing some money. But I won't switch..yet
06-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Regarding movie, for example:
- filming jupiter with telescope, I must underexpose alot
- filming the moon, I must set a fixed exposure even a cloud.
So what's stopping you from locking exposure or an eV shift during video?

06-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #68

Original Poster
lock + ev shift is fine for most cases.
06-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #69
Veteran Member

If you have your heart set on Nikon...by all means go for it.

What I will say for the K-5 is that , for most users, what images they can produce will be constrained far more by their skills, talent and opportunity than the K-5's performance and specs. That's all too true for me.

If you are serious about dSLR video, Pentax isn't the best offering, but its pretty functional for casual videos.

The longest Telephoto is have is the DA 55-300mm. The lens needs stopping down a bit at the long end to get very sharp images, and its somewhat slow-focusing but nothing wrong with the K-5's sharpness or focus accuracy.
For still photography, K-5 holds its own alongside any competitor in the APS-C range. I've used the Nikon D7000 and Canon 7D, so I can state that pretty confidently.

Last edited by kittykat46; 06-25-2011 at 12:21 AM.
06-25-2011, 02:59 AM   #70
Veteran Member

valy, yes, you can lock the exposure in video too with the AE button, sorry...just found out this today
06-25-2011, 07:22 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stanic Quote
valy, yes, you can lock the exposure in video too with the AE button, sorry...just found out this today
That's right, and don't forget, you can +/- exposure too(while recording).

This(in effect) gives you a little control on shutter speeds when recording movies.
To test this theory, I pointed the K-5 at the TV which produced scan lines. I then dialed down exposure compensation and it disappeared(nice and smooth).

Granted, it isn't manual override, but between this and Exposure Lock, it does the trick.

PS. the K-5 seems to auto adjust ISO, though I don't quite know if it does it according to setting(preset) or by default. I think I read somewhere here that it spans from 80-1600. But I can't confirm this.

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
If you have your heart set on Nikon...by all means go for it.
Based on my own experiences, the D7K has two very serious things going against it:

1. It suffers from a small(unusable) RAW buffer.
2. It suffers from moiré artifacts.

And though no.1 can be subjective(ie. I couldn't live it it), no. 2(moiré) is not the type of thing you can simply fix in post. Nor is it limited to specific scenes either. I've had the pleasure of working with images containing such artifacts recently and I must say that based on this, the K-5 makes the D7K look like junk when it comes to IQ. - let me know if you want to see an example.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by JohnBee; 06-25-2011 at 07:33 AM.
06-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #72

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
PS. the K-5 seems to auto adjust ISO
Even you lock the exposure? Meaning even if you lock it, during filming, the iso varies?

Last edited by valy; 06-25-2011 at 02:33 PM.
01-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by sjtryon Quote
BRAVO! Well said!

I just LOVE the looks I get from the canon/nikon shooters when they see me in the rain/snow/cold/dust/etc! I happily head back to my computer and process my tack-sharp raw files while they head who-knows-where with the shots they got from inside their vehicles (or whatever)!

Really ??? Granted I've only had my K5 a short while and only used it hmmm guess around 4maybe 5 times - but I have yet to get an image out of it that I am even remotely happy with

Did one, granted not exactly scientifically perfect, test with the exact same scene, same shutter and aperture settings cameras on a tripod using the K5 and a canon rebel (equivalent of the 500D in UK) and while neither was perfect the Canon was noticeably sharper than the K5.

I sooo much want to love my K5 - read so much good stuff about it - suits my needs/type of photography (mainly derelict / abandoned buildings and similar) but so far as left me significantly underwhelmed.

I love my K200d - quality of images from that are superb.

Maybe I need to get used to it - I'm no newbie to SLR's been using them since film days and in recent years owned Canon 400d (very good), 2 X Canon 50D's (very good indeed - still got these) , Canon rebel/500D (still got it - jury still out on this one), Pentax K200D - love it loads and the K5 - so I'm no Newbie..so not sure why I'm getting results that have me so underwhelmed
01-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #74

Just push your sharping in the configuration and you get everything you want, including sharpening artifacts which look like "detail" :P

Last edited by Mehlsack; 01-07-2012 at 06:57 PM.
01-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #75
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The issue of sharpness from cameras comes up often. There are a number of variables that affect image sharpness as well as contrast, colour rendition and aesthetic appearance. If you are even able to get *one* sharp RAW image from your camera, then it is capable of producing sharp images every time. I have found my own K-5 as sharp as any other camera I've shot with straight out of camera, and I have lots of images to support this.