Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2011, 12:23 AM   #1

K5 disadvantages/issues/missing features

I try to convince me that k5 is the best option but I can't. There are few issues that bothers me but I don't know if are for real. All I know about k5 is from internet, no direct experience with it. So I've opened this thread to make a resume about issues that you don't like or you miss regarding k5. For example there are few of them:
- SR on one axis for panning
- does not produces consistent sharp images as for example nikon does. I've seen "almost perfect" images taken with nikon (BIF, air shows, action, kids) but not so many (actually only very few) with pentax
- movie manual controls
Thanks for your opinions.

06-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by valy Quote
What do you mean by that? You are supposed to not use SR when panning.

QuoteQuote:
- does not produces consistent sharp images as for example nikon does. I've seen "almost perfect" images taken with nikon (BIF, air shows, action, kids) but not so many (actually only very few) with pentax
Some people with more experience say that the Pentax AF hunts more related to Canon or Nikon, thus it's not the best option for sports. That said, the AF will be good enough for all other situations, so sharpness will depend more on your technique than anything else. Just take a look at our forum gallery for K-5 samples.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/member-photo-albums/

QuoteQuote:
- movie manual controls
You are better off with Canon if you want to film on a SLR.

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 06-23-2011 at 12:39 AM.
06-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
You are supposed to not use SR when panning.
On Pentax yes, but with canikon, they have mode 1 and mode 2: mode 1 for usual shots, mode 2 for panning.
06-23-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

i got a k-x, panning shots with SR on seem decent enough

Honestly, unless you're already a pro and own pro level glass, the differences in the autofocus system won't matter as much. Technique > automation any day imo. And even if the body has fast enough AF, it doesn't mean your lens is equally as fast. Speaking of which, this shot was with a manual focus lens

06-23-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

also, i agree that you should go Canon if movies are that important to you.
06-23-2011, 12:58 AM   #6

Original Poster
Movie is not important, is just one of things I want to have. Is dificult to swith to canon or nikon because i have few "devices" on pentax (lenses, adapters), I like features that k5 has but also I want to discover things that k5 doesn't do in order to make a good decision. I've just put in my first message what comes in my mind now, without deciding if is important or not, just to mention disadvantages/issues/missing things. Anything else?
06-23-2011, 12:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

On Pentax yes, but with canikon, they have mode 1 and mode 2: mode 1 for usual shots, mode 2 for panning.
Pentax stabilization is in the body and shifts the sensor (focal plane) in all 3 axis. The system used on Canon and Nikon damps the movement on the lens elements. The "panning mode" for Canon - which is only available on some IS lenses that feature 2 gyros - simply disables this dampening action on the panning direction. For all effects, is the same as disabling IS.

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 06-23-2011 at 01:06 AM.
06-23-2011, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Movie is not important, is just one of things I want to have. Is dificult to swith to canon or nikon because i have few "devices" on pentax (lenses, adapters), I like features that k5 has but also I want to discover things that k5 doesn't do in order to make a good decision. I've just put in my first message what comes in my mind now, without deciding if is important or not, just to mention disadvantages/issues/missing things. Anything else?
The only con I see is if you are into movie mode or if you need long zooms (+300mm). For everything else, I think the K-5 is just as competent and overall, more value.

I find it amusing that shake reduction, weather sealing, build quality and compact size are hardly on top of the list for most people. As someone who likes shooting primes and traveling around with a camera, those are the things I value the most on the Pentax system.
06-23-2011, 01:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

dont go with the k-5 if you plan on using it for a lot of ttl type flash and tethered shooting.
dont go with the k-5 if you want really big and heavy lenses like the nikon 300mm f/2.8 (ego-boosters i call em)
dont go with the k-5 if you want to go full frame
dont go with the k-5 if you plan on shooting Saturday Night Live (partly shot with canons)

and lastly, dont go with the k-5 if you dont plan on sticking some decent glass in front of it. You got that body to take some awesome pictures, dont ruin it by sticking some wannabe holgas in front of it =)

do go with the k-5 if you want something small and built like a tank
do go with the k-5 if you want some rather diminutive pancake lenses
do go with the k-5 if you want affordable weather sealing
do go with the k-5 if you love old glass

and also, some of my own opinions:
dont go with it if you're starting out and dont really need all its super awesome features such as the weathersealing, awesome build, insanely high iso shooting, mindbending dynamic range, etc. If i had to start all over again, i'd do the same thing i did the first time and buy a k-x and use the extra money to get some amazing glass to put in front of it. Good glass beats getting a new body imo.
Do go with the k-5 if you hate upgrading. Yes, i have a ton of awesome glass for my k-x now, but i still wish i had a k-5 to stick that glass in front of. Ah well, maybe christmas =D
06-23-2011, 01:27 AM   #10

Original Poster
I find it amusing that shake reduction, weather sealing, build quality and compact size are hardly on top of the list for most people. As someone who likes shooting primes and traveling around with a camera, those are the things I value the most on the Pentax system.
Perhaps you right on this.
06-23-2011, 01:47 AM   #11
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find it amusing that shake reduction, weather sealing, build quality and compact size are hardly on top of the list for most people.
These are on the top of my list and this is why I move to Pentax.

You are dead right that affordable WR, SR, built quality and compactnesss are some key features of the Pentax dSLRs like K-7 and K-5.
06-23-2011, 01:51 AM   #12

Original Poster
I've started 5 years ago with k100d. At that moment was the kit lens, SR in body, lower price that attracts me. During this time I've spent 30.000 shots while playing, nothing serious, but I want something more features:
- bigger/better view finder (for manual focus with my telescopes, birds, contrail spotting, I have a 2.5x angle viewfinder to help this)
- live view (for macro, static subjects, astrophoto)
- more pixels (for crop)
- more FPS and bigger buffer (ISS transit the sun/moon, while all takes ~1sec and you must shot starting 2 secs before and holding 3-4-5 secs to be sure you catch something)
- smaller camera
- better AF for kids, air shows, birds in flight
- better ISO (no noise at base iso, good images up to 6400 or more)
- better handling, ergonomic
- movie full hd, manual exposure controls (for astrophoto)
- control from PC: camera settings, live preview (astrophoto)

I don't have many lenses: manual fisheye 16mm, initial kit lens 18-55, tamron 70-200 f2.8, old pentax rear convertor (TC2x), telescopes (ED 80 f/7.3, and a bigger one). I have few accesories for pentax (m42-K adapter, T2-K adapters, cable release).
I wish a better TC with AF (nikon has god and expensive ones), a better tele lens but this is expensive and I hope tamron driven by k5 to be good enough. Nikon has 70-300 which I like, canon has 100-400. Fast lenses like 300 f2.8 or 70-200f2.8 are very good but very expensive so I don't think I'll buy one, perhaps if I win the lottery.
Perhaps I will add a super wide zoom (like 10-20mm or something), or a fast focusing telephoto zoom if tamron is not good (60-240 is a good one), just for fun.

I can't buy canon 60d and nikon d7000 and k5 for all this, unfortunately I must chose only one. None is perfect, each one has pros and cons. K-x or lower models are not good for me.

Last edited by valy; 06-23-2011 at 02:04 AM.
06-23-2011, 02:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Everyone knows,that pentax RAWs are the sharpest of the bunch. That was the same story with K10D against D80, K20D vs D300, K200D vs D60, K-7 vs D........, K-5 vs D7000. Jpeg might be not the best, however the RAW is the best. End of story
06-23-2011, 02:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I try to convince me that k5 is the best option but I can't. There are few issues that bothers me but I don't know if are for real. All I know about k5 is from internet, no direct experience with it. So I've opened this thread to make a resume about issues that you don't like or you miss regarding k5. For example there are few of them:
- movie manual controls
Thanks for your opinions.
I've been a K-5 user for a few months now, taken about 6000 shots, mainly in the following circumstances:
- airshow (lots of shots)
- travel and landscape
- little bit of natural light portrait
- night shots (high ISO)
- low Depth of Field stuff

It is usually recommended to turn SR off for panning, as a best practice. You might want to test it out yourself though. I didn't use SR for the airshow shots. Sharpness was fine, only time it suffered was when the photographer got shaky (just before lunch, just after coffee? ... )

The K-5 is perfectly capable of taking consistently sharp images. As long as the photographers technique and the lens is up to the task. It's that simple, same as any other modern DSLR.
It can be misleading even viewing other users posted example shots... Prior to getting my K-5 I saw many user shots from the K-5 that were pretty bad. What can I say; it's easy to take bad shots on any equipment! I also saw many good shots. You might want to search for the "no more tests, just pictures" thread which i think is in the K-5 section.

I can't say much about the movie controls, it's not something I have used much at all. When I have used it, I found that manual focus was quite easy and the resultant movie quality looked excellent to me.

cheers,
Jason

I don't have many examples available, but here's a couple.
*Note* - I don't consider my shots to be the pinnacle of sharpness either!

Red Baron

This one was just exported to JPEG in camera. Could probably do with a bit more contrast or something in PP. You can click through for a bigger version if you like (2MP equivalent).

06-23-2011, 03:15 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Red Baron
This is what I call a good image. What lens did you used?
Thanks.