Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2011, 02:34 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
I use 5 years old Sigma EX 50-500 for my yachting and sailing regatta shooting and get very satisfied results. Just one problem - at F longer as 300 mm Bigma is contrastless when wide open. I stop it down usually up to 11-13.

07-15-2011, 07:05 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
As I stated in my above post, I shoot at 500mm all the time w/o a tripod or monopod, as do many others, so 500mm is clearly not "useless without a tripod or at least a sturdy monopod."
Yeah... sorry. Useless is a strong word. Recently, I've been forcing myself to shoot on a tripod as much as possible. I find that it is harder to get shots of wildlife, but that shots that I do get, I find sharper.

Your shots look great and I think in part they speak to how powerful the k5 is. (I am assuming you used a k5?)
07-15-2011, 10:27 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
Yeah... sorry. Useless is a strong word. Recently, I've been forcing myself to shoot on a tripod as much as possible. I find that it is harder to get shots of wildlife, but that shots that I do get, I find sharper.

Your shots look great and I think in part they speak to how powerful the k5 is. (I am assuming you used a k5?)
Thanks, I use a K-x - I'm on the budget plan!

I think it really all comes down to knowing your equipment and your own skills, and to improve upon your weaknesses and play to your strengths. With my Sigma 170-500, for instance, I know that I can increase my stability by holding the lens by the lens cap, I know to use it as a push-pull zoom rather than use the zoom ring, I know it gets progressively softer over 400mm... which leads to the question, do I try to fill more of the frame at a soft 500mm, or go for a sharper shot at 400mm? Can I afford to step down the aperture to improve sharpness, knowing that I risk reducing subject isolation?

I'm pretty comfortable using up to ISO 1600 with my K-x, provided I don't have to push the exposure much during PP. From what I've read and seen, it looks like the K-5 increases this latitude to ISO 3200 or even 6400, which to me is
07-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #34

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Best forum

Thank you so much for all your imput . I ended up buying the 150-500mm Bigma and am very happy!! This is the best forum site ever, long live Pentax forums!!!!!!!

07-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Solesy Quote
Thank you so much for all your imput . I ended up buying the 150-500mm Bigma and am very happy!! This is the best forum site ever, long live Pentax forums!!!!!!!
You made a good choice.....it is not a perfect lens, but it will give you a ton of joy and get those long shots with relative ease.

Yes, there is lots of great information here at PF...we are lucky to have this place...I think it is about time for me to make another donation......anyone else? Where could you get this much information and entertainment among other Pentaxians? Unlike some sites where the main goal is to fight each other continually, we just seem to relax and enjoy.....learning something new every day.

Best Regards & Happy shooting with that new lens! I look forward to seeing some of your shots.

Rupert
07-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Solesy Quote
Congrats! Hope you'll post some pics...
07-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Solesy, enjoy your Sigma, hope to see some pics from it soon.