Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sony A850/A55 to K-5?

Hello all - Past Pentax user, most recently with K-7 and K200D. I have been using the Sony A850 and A55 since leaving Pentax. I'm quite happy with both Sony bodies, but I truly miss the tiny limited primes. I realize the low ISO of the K-5 will never match the stunning low ISO IQ of the A850, but there are not too many trade-offs after that (and using the A55 for comparison, they are closer than you'd think). I miss the quiet shutter of my K-7 (ever hear the gunshot of the A850?). I'm considering K-5 with DA15, FA43, DA70, and DFA100. I've owned all those lenses in the past except the 100, but the reviews seem quite exceptional. I earn a living from photography, though FF doesn't offer too many advantages to my work (interiors/real estate, commercial, and some people/event). Ok, maybe the people shots. Am I being silly for even considering this move?

06-23-2011, 03:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
no, it just means you're a true pentaxian at heart ;D Anywho, it shouldnt really matter what you're shooting so long as it makes you happy right?
06-23-2011, 03:40 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think so. You already have a good feel for the Pentax body and gear, since the K5 is basically a K7 with the Sony sensor inside. The lenses you are talking about are excellent as well.

I feel like Pentax has a pretty good line up available below 100mm. Once you get past that point you need to use Sigma lenses (or used lenses) to start filling in the gaps.
06-23-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are earning a living from photograpy, remember this is a business decision too...

Not sure about your situation but keep this in mind-sometimes people change systems when business is down because it is an alternative way to keep busy. Or business is fine but their creativity is down is the reason. If you have the money though...

06-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
If you are earning a living from photograpy, remember this is a business decision too...

Not sure about your situation but keep this in mind-sometimes people change systems when business is down because it is an alternative way to keep busy. Or business is fine but their creativity is down is the reason. If you have the money though...
Good point. This is a decision from the heart at the moment. Before I invested too much time into the dollars and sense, I need to talk it through. My current set-up allows me the output that I need at this point in time, I just miss the connection I had with the limited primes. The K-7 was great from an ergonomics standpoint, but the IQ was lacking IMO. I feel like the K-5 has addressed the IQ issue. Maybe this silly idea will pass.
06-23-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

You have to decide if the compactness and usage of the Pentax system is worth the effort.
Its a business decision more than a hobby one.
The K5 has really good both at high and low ISO performance. Very fine grain esp. between 80 to 1600 that can survive quite a bit of exposure pushing with NR-off. Much better chroma noise performance compared to any of the competition.
Better dynamic range.
AF speed is no slouch either. I've had a chance to shoot 2 events where the K5 was up against a A700, D90, D7K, D700. The K5 did as well if not better in the number of in-focus shots.

However, your current setup already has your grounds covered, so there really is no need to go through the stress that the K5 may not work for you (eg. unfortunate FF issue or non-satisfactory PTTL performance for example)
06-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote
earn a living from photography, though FF doesn't offer too many advantages to my work (interiors/real estate, commercial, and some people/event). Ok, maybe the people shots. Am I being silly for even considering this move?
Interesting that you chose Sony and a working pro.
I would have gone Canikon just for the number of places you can rent lenses and backup gear locally.

The K5 would probably do fine for those fields...depending on the events (low light and how you use flash), it will probably do fine too.