Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #1

K-5 Dust Issue

I purchased the Pentax K-5 in February this year from B&H Photo. I really havent taken many photo's yet with the camera but recentely I was out taking photo's a Osprey in flight. I got some nice photo's but noticed a spec in the same area in the blue sky on many of the photo's. I remembere reading someplace that this was a issue with the K-5 when the Camera was first released, but the problem was taken care of. Is this something I can take care of myself or is this a return trip back to B&H ?

06-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MEADOWLANDS 151 Quote
I purchased the Pentax K-5 in February this year from B&H Photo. I really havent taken many photo's yet with the camera but recentely I was out taking photo's a Osprey in flight. I got some nice photo's but noticed a spec in the same area in the blue sky on many of the photo's. I remembere reading someplace that this was a issue with the K-5 when the Camera was first released, but the problem was taken care of. Is this something I can take care of myself or is this a return trip back to B&H ?
It depends if the spot is dust or a sensor strain. If you could post a picture of the issue it would help. If it's dust then it can most likely be easily cleaned and isn't an issue. If it's the sensor stain then you'll most likely have to send it into Pentax directly for repair/replacement.

Last edited by dgaies; 06-23-2011 at 07:01 PM.
06-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's a single spec chances are it's just dust.

Check this before you panic.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109

06-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
I'll post some photo's with this problem as soon as possible, Thanks

06-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
Dust or Camera Problem

I just took a couple of photos and used three different lenses. I purchased my K-5 in February of this year from B&H, but havent taken many photo's yet. Now that I relized I have a spec on my photo's I went back and this problem has been on all my photo's , More visible on outdoor sky photo's. I have attacheced some photo's, any help here would be appreachated.
Attached Images

06-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have them before when they changed my K-5. I bought a sensor cleaning kit from Pentax and used it to remove the dust sticking in the sensor.
06-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MEADOWLANDS 151 Quote
I just took a couple of photos and used three different lenses. I purchased my K-5 in February of this year from B&H, but havent taken many photo's yet. Now that I relized I have a spec on my photo's I went back and this problem has been on all my photo's , More visible on outdoor sky photo's. I have attacheced some photo's, any help here would be appreachated.
Good news, that is not stains that's for sure, it's dust or a thread/hair. Given the large size of it it should be very easy to blow off using a rocket blower. If you don't have one buy one, they are only ~$15.
06-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Good news, that is not stains that's for sure, it's dust or a thread/hair. Given the large size of it it should be very easy to blow off using a rocket blower. If you don't have one buy one, they are only ~$15.
^^^^^^

What he said. It won't be the last time you see it either. This type is easily handled with a blower. Spots may tend to be more sticky and require a touch the sensor method (as I've described in the above linked article) but this is a plain old fuzzy.

06-26-2011, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looks like a UFO.
06-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #10

Original Poster
Update, I spoke to B&H..No help except to give me the Pentax Customer service 800 number. Pentex had me try the camera's sensor cleaning and also try blowing it off with a turkey baster.. No Luck what ever it is, is stuck on it good.. So I'll try finding this Rocket Blower and try that... before sending it to Pentax.. It does look like a UFO... Thanks all for the follow up on my issue..
06-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Looks like a UFO.
That's what I was thinking.
06-28-2011, 12:46 AM   #12
Inactive Account

if the pentax lollipop stick cleaner doesn't work, try sensor-film!