Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by uptheriver Quote
I'm wondering if it really matters.
Mine is off too. By about two segments of the display.
If I know where it is level I can just compensate for it.
But I guess you can't use the automatic leveling system then.

07-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Last time I sent my K-5 to Pentax France they had the tools to calibrate the electronic level.
07-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #18
Forum Member

"But I guess you can't use the automatic leveling system then."

If you mean the horizon correction, then I suppose not. Generally I correct that in PP if required.
07-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by uptheriver Quote
If you mean the horizon correction, then I suppose not. Generally I correct that in PP if required.
Yes that what meant, I've been doing that for years too, (especially since my K10 had the leaning horizon sickness) but not so much lately though.

07-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #20
Site Supporter

What I would like (if I was going to use a level and not rely on software as I do now to straighten the horizon) is a little tick mark on each side of the viewfinder. You could line up the horizon to both of them and take a test shot. If the result was off, you could use the 4-way to alter the tick marks slightly until it worked out. With those visual indicators I think you could get a level horizon even if it was not directly on the ticks just by looking at the spacing.
07-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Or use either: the silly little (but quite useful) bubble level on a tripod, or, a split focusing screen with a rule of thirds grid.
I find with the E-pl1 that I use the grid overlay a lot (it's just a pity that you can't also superimpose the live histogram over the top at the same time - another discussion).

Still - Annoying. I use the level all the time on the K-7 and find it extremely useful.
07-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Random question from a Non-K5 owner;

Has anyone established if the Debug Mode hacks work on the K5 ?
Debug mode is one example. It still worked on the K-7/K-x - Maybe its just a matter of finding the correct filename for the K-5 ?
Anyway - thought is - I reckon recalibration of the Levels would be a basic Debug function - surely its accessible in Service Mode ?

Please refer to opening statement if I'm completely off-base
07-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Or use either: the silly little (but quite useful) bubble level on a tripod,
Requires a tripod :-) Only makes the tripod head level, not what is misaligned on top of it. You'd have to calibrate the bubble center point...and if you panned you'd be off again.

QuoteQuote:
or, a split focusing screen with a rule of thirds grid.
If the grid was parallel to the viewfinder, it would not help as the sensor and viewfinder are not aligned - the original problem at least with mine. You'd need to have a way to adjust the grid to the sensor.

07-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
my alternative to the electronic level is to frame up the shot using live view with one of the grid overlays to align the horizon or any vertical lines. good enough.
07-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Original Poster
...unless i am shooting with a fisheye, that is.
08-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #26
Banned

To revive an old thread;

My silver K-5 was delivered with a perfectly-calibrated electronic level, it's one of the first things I checked when I got it because my black K-5 from before was mis-calibrated. I've used it for months, taking thousands of pictures, and never had a problem. Then 4 days ago, all my landscape pictures for that day were slightly askew (I rely on the electronic level a lot). When I checked the electronic level, I found it was suddenly off by a solid 3 ticks. All my landscape shots from 6 days ago are fine. So sometime between 6 days ago and 4 days ago, the electronic level lost its calibration. The camera was never subjected to any kind of harsh treatment in that time frame. There were no software failures or freezes. There's no possible reason for the loss of calibration except:

a) the sensor somehow came loose and became askew or

b) the camera "forgot" its calibration

I lean towards b) as a more likely cause because the off-ness of the sensor is constant regardless of which way I orient the camera. Since there's no way for users to calibrate the electronic level themselves, my only recourse is to send the camera back to Arizona yet again for multiple weeks to get it "fixed". And since it's possible for this to happen at any time, I may have to spend money to get it fixed in the future when the 1 year warranty runs out.

As far as I'm concerned, this feature and the corresponding "Horizon Correction" are now completely useless. There's no point in using them if the calibration can go wonky at any time without warning, and if there's no way to correct it myself. I'll have to turn it off on my camera, including all 5 user modes, and re-train myself not to rely on it.

It's too bad, I thought it was a great selling point and I used the feature all the time.
08-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Why don't they make it user adjustable? Seems like that's something that can be done through firmware.
08-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Why don't they make it user adjustable? Seems like that's something that can be done through firmware.
Who knows? Ask Pentax.

(don't expect an answer, though)
08-31-2011, 05:39 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
... So sometime between 6 days ago and 4 days ago, the electronic level lost its calibration. ...

hmm, this says it all, the electronic level really must have a user calibration. Listen to us Pentax...or Ricoh...or whatever your name is.
08-31-2011, 06:10 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never used it.....may or may not work on my K5. I level everything in processing, since I am a habitual cropper, cropping 99.9% of everything I shoot....whether it needs it or not.
Regards!