Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2011, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #31
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I've never used it.....may or may not work on my K5. I level everything in processing, since I am a habitual cropper, cropping 99.9% of everything I shoot....whether it needs it or not.
Regards!
Oh good, then you have nothing to contribute to this thread. Thanks for clearing that up.

10-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #32
Oso
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have noticed that the level on my K5 sometimes seems to be "right on" and at others is seemingly off by a couple degrees, as the image appears in the viewfinder and how the camera feels "level" in my hand. Holding the camera level, the level indicator indicates not level. I recently thought that maybe that because the sensor is "floating" on it's stabilization hardware, maybe the level indicator is indicating sensor level versus camera level. Is this a possible explanation for what we are seeing here? If you hold the camera crooked to get a correct indicated level, does the image come out straight or crooked?
10-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #33
Banned

Sometimes your perspective to a subject might make it seem like it's not straight in the viewfinder, and relying on the electronic level in such a situation would make that subject appear crooked. But this does not reflect the electronic level's accuracy. It's an occurrence that's even older than photography itself. The only real way to tell if your electronic level is off is with either an external level that you know is completely accurate, or by using a water horizon (ie huge lake, the ocean, etc). Mine's accuracy never changed from picture to picture. First it was always accurate, and then it suddenly became always wrong.
11-12-2011, 04:01 AM   #34
Veteran Member

One of the reasons my first K-5 went back was the electronic level indicating a lean when it wasn't. Not that I use it much, but it annoys me when something doesn't work. It also seemed to be getting worse with time - though at the time I put that down to my imagination.

When I went to the store for the replacement, the first one out of the box was worse than the one I had, but I checked the second one very carefully, and again when I got it home, and it was fine. One of the guys in the store also had a careful look, and agreed with me that it was level.

Obviously, you can compensate for a platform that might itself not be level, by noting a lean in the opposite direction if you turn the camera round. I did this carefully, on several different platforms, and it was exactly right.

Now after having it for a couple of weeks, it's now a bit off. Not by much (just one bar on the display), but it seems to not be perfect any more.

I see that one or two have made similar observations. Is this deterioration over time a widespread thing?

I could probably get another replacement, but from the number of people with problems, it seems that it's just going to be a load of hassle with no guarantee of getting a good one.

11-12-2011, 04:41 AM   #35
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
This is an analog to digital conversion. Easy to fix ( calibrate ) via software. Actually I am surprised they are not all off to some extent. Cannot be a very pricey part.
But I agree stupid not to let the end user calibrate it. Saving umpteen dollars in repairs. They could of easily provided a variable in the algorithm for user calibration. Same as lens calibration. Good thread I never thought about even using it. My shooting it is not important but I can see how some would want it.
My previous life was spent in Analog to digital. And designing software to support it by the end user. Many time I would include a variable embedded in the algorithm for end user to calibrate or change a set point. Strange.

Really with that silly thing being so small. I assume? And the range of 4 x 90 for 360 degrees. And an output of 0-5 vdc. That would be .0555vdc/degree.
If that is even close. And I am guessing at the device.

Brain farting. who frigging knows. LOL Does anyone know the device used?

Last edited by garyk; 11-12-2011 at 05:45 AM.
11-12-2011, 05:38 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Of course, it's not just the level that doesn't work if the zero point isn't horizontal. Horizon correction presumably won't either.
11-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #37
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
Of course, it's not just the level that doesn't work if the zero point isn't horizontal. Horizon correction presumably won't either.
Yep, that's right. If you try to use Horizon Correction, then every picture comes out crooked regardless of how straight the camera was when you took the picture.

It should be noted that my K-7 was deadly accurate with its electronic level the entire time I owned it. And I never heard of the K-7 losing its calibration over time. Only the odd initial mis-calibration. The K-5 is an improvement in many ways over the K-7, but sometimes it seems like corners were cut compared to the K-7.

I wonder if the 645D's electronic level is as unreliable.

Last edited by Hound Tooth; 11-12-2011 at 10:14 AM.
11-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
all my pics are looking kinda skewed:

11-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #39
Veteran Member

The level on my K5 is working fine, 9 months old at this point. I occasionally find it useful on the tripod, but most importantly it saves me time PP. I pp all my photos, that i use, but not doing that additional step is time saving. altho i don't think it can auto level over a certain amount, like the above pic is beyond what it can fix
11-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
... like the above pic is beyond what it can fix
you understand the above pic is skewed as a result of the auto level function in the camera right? That is a single frame from a large pano where i set the level and shot all the pics. when i got home, i saw how badly out of calibration the camera is.
11-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
you understand the above pic is skewed as a result of the auto level function in the camera right? That is a single frame from a large pano where i set the level and shot all the pics. when i got home, i saw how badly out of calibration the camera is.
Yikes, i thought it was a joke - sorry

as others have said, the function is very useful but needs ability to cal. within cam.
11-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I haven't even bothered to check mine, since I don't want to become dependent on it if it goes off; my K-7 had a level that seemed correctly callibrated until suddenly it wasn't.
All they need to make this feature work for everyone is to let users calibrate it themselves.

At what point does a feature that the company touts in its advertising constitute fraud when it's basically useless for so many users, over two successive models now?
11-13-2011, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #43
Banned

Oh boy, here we go with complete misinterpretations of law by non-lawyers... what's next, claims of "false advertisement"?

It sucks that this touted feature is so frustratingly unreliable, but Pentax's refusal to let us calibrate it ourselves is nothing more than poor quality and customer service. There are no legal issues to be invented here.
11-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Ease up on the unwarranted sarcasm, man. I asked a question, I didn't make an assertion.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
It sucks that this touted feature is so frustratingly unreliable, but Pentax's refusal to let us calibrate it ourselves is nothing more than poor quality and customer service.
Yeah, we agree.

As for "false advertisement" -- if the feature were completely unreliable to, say, 99.9% of purchasers (which obviously isn't the case!) would one then have the right to claim that touting the feature constituted false advertising? At some point are even non-lawyers entitled to exclaim "there oughta be a law..."?

Or is your point that anything goes when it comes to companies squeezing out a quick buck?
11-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #45
Banned

Nope, just that you're not a lawyer and I'm not a lawyer and any attempt by us at turning this into some kind of legal injustice serves no good purpose other than to inflame the uninformed masses and turn this into a thread that I will immediately unsub from if those kinds of allegations go any further. You're gonna start drawing low-brow idiots with that kind of talk.