Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I couldn't care less what you subscribe to.
Gosh, and here I was thinking you were a lawyer. Turns out you're simply a "high-brow non-idiot." I got ya.

11-14-2011, 05:30 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Is there some kind of 'combined' way for the forum here to ask (beg? cajole?) Pentax to get a calibration feature into the next firmware?

Given the lead time, and the possibility of a new Pentax body next year (which will cause K-5 firmware releases to dry up overnight), we ought to get going on this if there's any chance of success.
11-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
Is there some kind of 'combined' way for the forum here to ask (beg? cajole?) Pentax to get a calibration feature into the next firmware?
That's a very good idea. I wonder how responsive they would be to some sort of petition?

Given the lead time, and the possibility of a new Pentax body next year (which will cause K-5 firmware releases to dry up overnight)
I'm not sure that's true; it seems to me that they kept updating the K-7 for a while after the release of the K-5 (or maybe I was just late to catch up to the updates...) But in any event, if they offered calibration on the new model, perhaps they'd deliberately hold it back from any updates to the K-5; after all, they could tout it as a "new feature" rather than a fix to an established one.
11-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is a Dear Pentax thread of suggestions, which, when someone said they were meeting with a Pentax rep perhaps a year or so ago, I suggested be printed out for the rep (and also given the link). Doubt it happened.

11-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your best option might be to find a Japanese PF member. He may be able to drop a message on a board that is frequented by Pentax reps.

PF is the largest world-wide Pentax forum that I'm aware of, but you don't often see Pentax reps here. There was one from the US a while back.

I don't think communication and feedback from the West is very successful.

Dan

Last edited by dosdan; 11-14-2011 at 10:06 PM.
11-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
...But in any event, if they offered calibration on the new model, perhaps they'd deliberately hold it back from any updates to the K-5; after all, they could tout it as a "new feature" rather than a fix to an established one.
That's also my fear.

I never understand how they can not know about things like this though? The level, and the horizon correction are a great idea... but it just gives a horrendous impression if it simply doesn't work.

The more I read, the more widespread the level problem seems to be. I don't see much point in returning my second K-5 if it's likely to fail in the same way.

Grrrr...
11-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
... they could tout it as a "new feature" rather than a fix to an established one.
Like they did with the focus adjust in the Kr, the fact we could do it in debug mode suggests it could have been added to the firware. How quickly do you think they would find an end user solution to this problem if we all returned our K5's en-masse for repair under warranty?

11-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sussexphoto Quote
How quickly do you think they would find an end user solution to this problem if we all returned our K5's en-masse for repair under warranty?
Amen; and as it is, it amazes me that nobody over there appears to be shaking their head and saying, "uh, guys, you know maybe all this corner cutting has been losing us money, with all these warranty returns?"
11-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
How quickly do you think they would find an end user solution to this problem if we all returned our K5's en-masse for repair under warranty?
Possibly soon, however, your camera would have an "estimated 6-9 months turn-around due to the unusually high quantity of customer submissions. We apologize for the delay".
11-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Original Poster
i hope some crafty civilian will create a hack for this rather than wait for Pentax. i am waiting until the month before my warranty runs out to send mine in for repair otherwise.
11-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Possibly soon, however, your camera would have an "estimated 6-9 months turn-around due to the unusually high quantity of customer submissions. We apologize for the delay".
He he ;-) yes, I had thought of that! Sadly, it is the potential length of time without the camera that puts me off getting it done. Roll on debug for K5
04-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #57

hello all
I am new to this forum but wanted to let you all know that Pentax is not allowing adjustment of the level in the 645D either.
Mine is significantly out of whack and I have been told that the camera will need to go back to Japan which I cant do since I will lose the usage of the camera for an unknown amount of time.
It would be so simple to put in a calibration utility in the firmware I just cant believe it has not been done.

PENTAX PLEASE READ THIS!

MB
04-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Original Poster
we need a self-calibrate function in the setup menu whereby one simply places the camera in level position (to a distant horizon or plumb line, etc), and then presses the green button to set calibration. exit out to save. done!
c'mon pentax...this landscape photographer is getting grumpy counting three bars to the left for every photo.
04-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed. Mine is off pretty bad as well and Pentax requires it to go to their facility, not one of their international warranty approved repair companies that is within driving distance of me.
04-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
we need a self-calibrate function in the setup menu whereby one simply places the camera in level position (to a distant horizon or plumb line, etc), and then presses the green button to set calibration. exit out to save. done!
c'mon pentax...this landscape photographer is getting grumpy counting three bars to the left for every photo.
My K-7 is also three bars to the left! Only in landscape orientation though -- I can't figure out how much it's off in portrait!

I read through this thread and I don't think it was ever established -- IS there a debug mode solution for this? If not with the K-5, what about earlier cameras?