Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2011, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How to adjust/calibrate auto level

I just shot a bunch of panos using the auto level feature in camera and find it to be out calibration. I did not find a way to adjust this; anybody know?
thx!

06-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I just shot a bunch of panos using the auto level feature in camera and find it to be out calibration. I did not find a way to adjust this; anybody know?
thx!
Unfortunately it can't be adjusted nor calbrated by the user.
06-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
thx!
Pentax service. The fact it can not be adjusted by the user is a joke.
06-27-2011, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The fact it can not be adjusted by the user is a joke.
It does seem a bit lazy on Pentax's part. I have two different level apps for my droid, both of which allow me to tell the phone what level is. It couldn't have been all that hard to include calibration in the firmware.

06-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I hardly ever use this feature. I did the other day though, and noticed that, post repair (faulty front dial plus the new faults Pentax service added after the first one - long story) the level is even further out than it was originally.

The option to adjust it via software, as @Parallax says, would surely have not been difficult. No hope for a firmware update for the k-7, but maybe for the k-5?
06-28-2011, 01:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This must be adjustable via a service menu setting. Hopefully this will leak out to the public eventually.

Dan
06-28-2011, 05:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Pentax service. The fact it can not be adjusted by the user is a joke.
An even bigger joke is that at the beginning even Pentax service couldn't calibrate it. I got my replacement K-5 in December, its level was (and still is) off and service center couldn't do anything at that time, they offered to replace the replacement cam with another one - of course I said no to waiting another 2-3 weeks for yet another replacement (which could be off or stained just as well).

06-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My K-5 had the same problem, Pentax service corrected it under warrenty.
It took them a few weeks waiting for special software to arrive from Japan then.

Good luck,

Bert
06-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
My K-5 had the same problem, Pentax service corrected it under warrenty.
It took them a few weeks waiting for special software to arrive from Japan then.

Good luck,

Bert
Presumably the software was specially written, unless Pentax don't have internet access?
07-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #10

Just received my K5 ,build date 5/27/2011, and the level is out by 5 bars on the main lcd.
.Should I get this fixed or leave it be, I have some concerns regards future resale value. Cheers Garry
07-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grw46 Quote
Just received my K5 ,build date 5/27/2011, and the level is out by 5 bars on the main lcd.
.Should I get this fixed or leave it be, I have some concerns regards future resale value. Cheers Garry
Get it fixed it you want but I don't see an out of cal level having much affect on resale value. Having it calibrated certainly won't Hurt it though.

07-27-2011, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grw46 Quote
Have it fixed. The automatic leveling function is really growing on me.
07-28-2011, 01:47 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
My K-5 is also of by 2-3 notches. I actually sent my previous K-5 back for the same issue, and for the mirror flop issue as well. I had to wait for over a month before getting the replacement body, which doesn't have the mirror flop issue but like I said the level is off again...

I really don't want to wait for another month while something minor as this is being fixed. The store where the original K-5 was bought is trying to work something out though, so for now I'll keep my fingers crossed (or level ).

Why Pentax does not make software available for users to calibrate the level is beyond me. Instead, their service centers must be getting hundreds of K-5s. Doesn't sound very efficient to me.
07-28-2011, 07:08 AM   #14
Forum Member

I'm wondering if it really matters.
Mine is off too. By about two segments of the display.
If I know where it is level I can just compensate for it.
It cannot resolve down to a fraction of a degree like a bubble level would anyway.

Still, it is a really handy feature.
07-28-2011, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
i cant imagine being without a camera for a month to send mine in, so i turned it off and am just forgetting it is a feature on the camera. Gee, i had all forgotten about this...until YOU reminded me, lol.