Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K5 with A-lens and wireless flash problem

When I use my K5 in combination with an A-lens (at the A setting), wireless flash (af360 controlled by camera flash) gives me extreme underexposed pictures.
Swapping the A- lens for a F,FA or DA lens, and exposure is OK.
This happens with all A lenses I tried.

Can someone verify this with his K5 ?

08-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #2

Bump.

Somebody must be able to answer this post. I have no A series lenses. If I did, I would try and help.
08-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #3

Don't have an A series lens but with a Sigma 17-70, in-camera flash as Master, off-board Metz 58 AF-2 as Slave (fully charged 1900 mAh AA Eneloops), I did NOT get satisfactory results. The first handful of shots were good; then they got progressively dimmer and dimmer. After trying 3 different sets of Eneloops, I gave up and put the Metz on the hot shoe in PTTL... worked just perfect then. The mystery is that when I recharged the batteries after attempting this, they only took (i.e., were only drained) around 160 mAh! [Have not tried the set up on my DA 55-300.]

Also, I am not happy with the flash delay / lag on the K-5 from when the shutter is pressed (not talking recycle time)... seems like 1/2 sec. to 1 sec. By then, your opportunity has passed!!! This is consistent whether in-camera, hot shoe, or wireless modes - makes no difference.

But then, my K-5 is victim to "hyper-shuttering" so I've got bigger problems to worry about right now; it's going in for warranty work. This is my first Pentax; love the IQ, hate their software and bugs... I'm really fighting off buyer's remorse right now.

Update: Just tested wireless with DA 55-300/Metz on about 20+ shots; it worked perfectly... exposure good, no lag / delay. Also concluded that red-eye reduction is what causes lag / delay in other modes (so was mistaken regarding the wireless delay - sorry). Tried the Sigma again and not as bad now.
No more red-eye reduction for me!

Update, Sept. 2011: Results extremely poor/inconsistent after attempting to use wireless (Metz) flash with my Sigma lens/K-5 at a wedding reception. While on the phone with the Metz techie, took shots in direct line of sight with the infrared sensor - got pic of the flash going off but the image is WAY underexposed. With the Pentax DA 55-300 lens, everything seems to be in sync and exposed correctly.
Conclusion: (1)Wireless flash on the K-5 will only work with specific Pentax lenses!
(2) I need to use the hot shoe connection if using Metz flash with my Sigma lenses/K-5.

Last edited by OutdoorLady; 09-07-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Update
10-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found some more info in various forumthreads about this wireless flash K5 bug.

(Wireless) p-ttl flash uses distance information from the lens, and as soon the lens reports the final interval (several meters to infinity) the wireless flash underexposes several stops (don't ask me why, my previous pentax dslr's behaved better).

So this bug can be reproduced with any lens, just point it at something close, and turn the focus ring to infinity.

A series lenses do not report the distance, and the camera will assume infinity, so any distance on an A lens will lead to extreme underexopsed wireless flash pictures.

10-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Funny, I've just stumbled upon this very same problem yesterday while using my Samyang 85/1.4... Swapped for a Sigma 30/1.4, and miracle, wireless was working again...

I knew about the infinity problem... Well, not really infinity, it just happens as soon as the lens reports "far" as a distance, which is rather quickly (for instance, with the FA50/1.4, "far" starts at 5m).

But having P-TTL crippled like this is quite pathetic. Strange thing is that the K7 does not suffer from these problems.
They surely have made a truckload of changes in the P-TTL behavior (add all the reports of malfunctioning 3rd party flashes floating around), but I don't really see why.
Maybe Pentax is ready to ship a new flash line, or maybe it was caused by the GPS unit support. Who knows?
10-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
...Well, not really infinity, it just happens as soon as the lens reports "far" as a distance, which is rather quickly (for instance, with the FA50/1.4, "far" starts at 5m).
This is very useful information.

Do you know of a source anywhere where these distances (macro, far etc) are specified for Pentax lenses? These things are handy to know.
10-15-2011, 05:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You can find them by looking at your files with Photome: there is a specific field giving the "focus distance"...
So, you can test some settings (anyway, you'll see easily the troublesome distance).
01-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A quick test indicates that this problem is solved in K5 firmware 1.12

01-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah, another hidden fix