Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2011, 03:41 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Time Lapse of Milky Way by Pentax K5

This is my latest time lapse taken by Pentax K5 + 18-55mm kit lens. Total 240 frames. 20sec per frame and 15sec interval @ ISO6400.

hope you guys like it.

06-28-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done! You may benefit from their new GPS device using astrotracker for things like this.

06-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
wow that is beautiful and you've inspired me to look into this more, as i have yet to try the interval feature. thanks for posting and please keep them coming.
06-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Fantastic! The only thing I didn't like were those damn google ads which popped up halfway through!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Pretty amazing. It's best viewed at 1080p, of course!
06-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
Forum Member

Stunning!! Thanks for sharing.
06-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow, so cool. How far away were you from city lights in order to see the Milky Way? I remember seeing it once while camping out at Big Sur, but I was recently up near Point Reyes and couldn't see anything.

I guess you also need to have a new moon?

06-29-2011, 01:40 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent !
06-29-2011, 01:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done.
06-29-2011, 02:20 AM   #10
Forum Member

Very nice!
06-29-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

thats amazing, this + the mountain is inspiring me to make one of those!
06-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Extremely well done - I like it a lot. One aspect of it was the tree movement on one side and the hillside silhouette on the other - which leads me to my next comment....

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Well done! You may benefit from their new GPS device using astrotracker for things like this.

When the GPS device is finally available, the stars should get sharper (not that they are really fuzzy in the clip at all), but when the sensor tracks, the sharp transition with the framing silhouetted features will go from a sharp transition to being fuzzed up. The real advantage of the GPS device will be the full sky shots....

06-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Extremely well done - I like it a lot. One aspect of it was the tree movement on one side and the hillside silhouette on the other - which leads me to my next comment....

When the GPS device is finally available, the stars should get sharper (not that they are really fuzzy in the clip at all), but when the sensor tracks, the sharp transition with the framing silhouetted features will go from a sharp transition to being fuzzed up. The real advantage of the GPS device will be the full sky shots....

the best part about the gps device is it'll allow for you to lower the iso to 100-200 and do a longer exposure but have less noise then a shot at 1600 iso to get the stars bright enough for the exposure before they streak
06-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Nice job.

I'm pretty sure the GPS dealy would screw things up royally in this application. I think it's only meant for taking pictures of just stars, and not stars plus landscape. If it's tracking the stars as they move, and the landscape isn't moving, then I'm pretty sure it would wreck your foreground. Also, in this sort of thing, you want the stars to have movement. Ifthe GPS was trackingthe stars, to keep them still in the frame, then you would get choppy motion from frame to frame becausethe GPS is cancelling out the stars' movement in one frame, but then it's going to the next frame, where they have in fact moved, but without any record of it. If you want it to look smoother, use a slightly longer shutter speed, like 30 second, close down the interval, like only 1-5 second between frames, and play it back at a higher frame rate. What was your playback speed? It seems a little slow. Time lapses are super fun, I need to shoot them more!
06-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #15

IF you've never experienced the Milky Way with your own eyes, you owe it to yourself to do so. It's hard to do it you can't get away from city lights and find truly dark skies, but if you can, it will take your breath away. In the northwest, I go up by Mt. Rainier camping and on a moonless night, it's right there overhead in all it's glory.

I always bring a chaise lounge chair and some binoculars. I spend a lot of time laying back and taking it all in.

One of these days, I'll have to give it a try with my K-5.