Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2011, 04:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Picture Quality / Help needed

Hi Forum,

Since some month i have a replaced K5 after my first was one with stains on the
sensor.

But I'm not very excited about the picture quality.

In bad light conditions an with high ISO-Numbers, the K5 is better
then my old GX10. But with ISO 200 and good conditions...

In comparison to my older Samsung GX10, I believe the pictures of my K5
are not as sharp as they should be.

I have this impression with all of mine objective i use:
- Pentax FA 50
- Tamron SP AF XR Di 28-75 1:2.8
an others ...

I made a test a i think it shows what I mean. Same picture with the same
options. But I think the one of my old GX10 looks better.

Has anyone some suggestions or the same problem?

Thanks for reading and for any answer...

marbla

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG GX10  Photo 
06-28-2011, 04:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really don't see the K-5 shot as lacking sharpness. The GX10 shot has more contrast and saturation and that may be giving the impression of greater sharpness. OTOH, the K-5 has more shadow detail. It should be easy enough to adjust the saturation, contrast and sharpness to match the GX10 output, if that is what you want.
06-28-2011, 05:08 AM   #3
Forum Member

Just because a picture on screen looks sharper does not mean that it is. Many years ago (pre digital) one of the mistakes that was easy to make with simple "eyeball" assessments, was that lenses that could deliver greater subtlety of tone were sometimes judged to be less sharp than more contrasty lenses. The additional fine gradation of tones made the image appear less sharp than the contrasty image.

You do not say if you shot in RAW or jpeg. My experience of the K5 sensor is that in RAW it is far superior in terms of subtlety to anything I have used before - especially at low ISO. I don't do jpegs for origination, so I can't comment on jpeg output. If you have shot in jpeg it is worth keeping in mind that similar settings on both cameras do not necessarily translate into the same processing of the image. Each camera will handle the processing differently and very likely deliver different results. DSLRs today are like high performance racing cars. Each new model will need tweaking of its settings in a way that suits the needs of the sensor. You can't necessarily just carry over the same settings and expect the same results.
06-28-2011, 05:12 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
[langtitle=de]Detail of picture with original resolution[/langtitle]

Thx, for answering.

Maybe the detail picture show more clearly what i mean. The other
pictures had to be resized for upload. The following pictures are
just Parts ...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG GX10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-28-2011, 06:23 AM   #5

K5's image is a little overexposed than the other image, what happens if you use the same exposure time? Focus point seems a bit behind for the k5's image.
06-28-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
[langtitle=de]More tests[/langtitle]

The over exposure is not the problem.

I made some more picture an set the exposure-level on -2/3. The
contrast of this pictures are much better.

I also switched off the noise removal of the k5.

I also tried the focus fine control of my k5 from -5 to +5 but in none
of the test pictures i was able to get a sharp edge of the leaf in center.
06-28-2011, 07:09 AM   #7

Make same (manual) exposure on both, shoot raw. Overexposing floods the image with light and destroys the details. Wind can move the leafs.
06-28-2011, 07:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The K10d (GX10) has a weak AA-filter which gives really sharp pictures straight out of the camera, while the K5 has a stronger AA-filter and thus needs a little more sharpening in post process to get razor sharp pictures. But it is possible, use something like radius 0.7 strength 60-100 in lightroom (dependent on picture) instead of the default values.

06-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thx for all the suggestions.
06-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I shoot a raw and developed it by myself with the suggested settings. And I think it is much better now.

My conclusion: Forget the jpg- conversion of the k5 and use raw instead.

Thank you again for your help.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Lower resolution cameras always seem to be sharper when viewed at 100% Downsize K-5 image to 10 megapixel then compare

Aso reshoot with f/4 (FA 50mm f/1,4 is sharpest at f/4) it could be that K-5 sensor outresolves FA 50mm @ f/9. Use manual settings, so both cameras expose the same.
06-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
The K10d (GX10) has a weak AA-filter which gives really sharp pictures straight out of the camera, while the K5 has a stronger AA-filter and thus needs a little more sharpening in post process to get razor sharp pictures. But it is possible, use something like radius 0.7 strength 60-100 in lightroom (dependent on picture) instead of the default values.
This.
I've seen the same thing when going from K10D to K20D. I could pixel peep the K10D images and be happy. The K20D I don't peep much
06-29-2011, 04:23 AM   #13
Forum Member

Jpeg conversion in the K5 will probably be OK for your needs if you configure output to your preferences.