Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-5 and Tamron 28-75 F2.8 questions

I'm looking at the Tamron 28-75 F2.8, and I'm interested in getting feedback from users with this lens and a K-5. The lens review doesn't have anything specific regarding the camera body.

Any issues with front or back focusing, autofocus speed/accuracy/noise and also size/weight, build quality etc. I'm looking at using this lens mostly for indoor sports (basketball, volleyball etc), and general stuff like birthdays etc.

The other lens I was looking at was the DA* 50-135, but with all the talk of SDM failures I'm not sure about that one.

Thanks in advance.

06-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'll let the K-5 owners answer your question specifically, but I have used that lens for basketall with my K10d. It's a fairly good range for basketball if you can get courtside on the end lines. The AF is pretty darned slow on this lens, but the 50-135 is even worse. I found that for basketball, the ideal focal range (within reason) would be 40-150. I've heard very good things about the Sigma 50-150 2.8. If you were thinking of the 50-135, you might want to consider that one.

Having said all that, I think the 28-75 is a great all around lens. It's the one that stays on my K10d 75% of the time.
06-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I would have looked at the Sigma 50-150mm, but they don't make it anymore. I understand they are making a new version with OS, but it's supposed to be quite a bit bigger (same as 70-200 F2.8) and I didn't want to carry around a big/heavy lens.
06-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With a K5, focus is pretty fast, and spot on (at least on mine)...
This focal range is simply ideal for me, the perfect portrait lens, going from true standard to a nice short tele... It's my favorite all around lens, and also sees its roll of film from time to time.

And, above all, it's SHARP!!! Wide open, it's already a good league above the 18-55WR...
But of course its size is not forgiving... But it is quite light...

06-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was wondering about this combo as well. I have the 28-75 on my K20 now and in moderate light, its all zack-a-zik-zik-zik-zik...beep! Takes for-god-damn-ever to focus. My 18-55 wr is much faster but so much worse optically. I was hoping the minute focus adjustments would be taken care of with the K-5, at least. I know it can't work miracles.
06-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find the Tamron 28-75 (K-x body) to focus pretty fast, unless you are in dim lighting situations. I have not experienced any ff/bf issues. I have tried continuous shooting with AF-C with it @ f2.8 (our horse running) and every frame was sharp and spot on and pretty quick. AF should be even better on the K-5.
06-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeremyP Quote
I'm looking at the Tamron 28-75 F2.8, and I'm interested in getting feedback from users with this lens and a K-5. The lens review doesn't have anything specific regarding the camera body.

The other lens I was looking at was the DA* 50-135, but with all the talk of SDM failures I'm not sure about that one.

Thanks in advance.
The Tamron 28-75 works well with the K5. I use it a lot for indoor theatre plays without a flash. I do use a -5 adjustment when indoors. it balances well with the K5 and the constant aperture is an assist for low light. no problem with AF

I also have the 50-135 going on 3 years and no problem with it. But the 50 end is not wide enough for some indoor shots.

06-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #8

I've used the 28-75 with my *ist D, a K-7 I've had for a while, and now the K-5. It's the lens I use 85% of the time.

Normally, if it's not focusing (or not focusing fast), it's most likely me trying to focus where focus can't be achieved (flat, uncontrasty surface), in which case, a flip of a switch and I'm on manual. So I find it adequate most of the time. That said, I've never owned super-fast focusing lenses, so I wouldn't know the difference.

To tell you the truth, I haven't been able to use it much with the K-5 so far because I got my camera back from repair only towards mid/end May, but these are some of the latest things I've done with that combo:

And it is one sharp fella.

Hope it helps!
06-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeremyP Quote
I would have looked at the Sigma 50-150mm, but they don't make it anymore. I understand they are making a new version with OS, but it's supposed to be quite a bit bigger (same as 70-200 F2.8) and I didn't want to carry around a big/heavy lens.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. I did find this.
All TV Mall

I've never heard of alltvmall.com, so beware. It says it's in stock, but it seems nowhere else has them as you said.
06-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hooverfocus Quote
I've used the 28-75 with my *ist D, a K-7 I've had for a while, and now the K-5. It's the lens I use 85% of the time.

Normally, if it's not focusing (or not focusing fast), it's most likely me trying to focus where focus can't be achieved (flat, uncontrasty surface), in which case, a flip of a switch and I'm on manual. So I find it adequate most of the time. That said, I've never owned super-fast focusing lenses, so I wouldn't know the difference.

To tell you the truth, I haven't been able to use it much with the K-5 so far because I got my camera back from repair only towards mid/end May, but these are some of the latest things I've done with that combo:

And it is one sharp fella.

Hope it helps!
Awesome concert photos! I'd have liked to have pulled off some similar shots at our local jazz festival, but non-pros were banned from taking any captures.
06-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
Forum Member

Just got the Tamron. Let me just say I've only had the lens for a few days. I've been using a DA70ltd with my K-5. The AF on the Tamron is slower and hunts more especially in low light. As hooverfocus said, however, sometimes it's the user trying to achieve accurate focus in less than ideal settings. I've been pointing my camera at random objects to compare focus with the DA70.

There is definitely front focus after testing it with a focus chart. But it's been difficult to detect exactly how much. It tends to differ through the zoom range.

I want to take it out to shoot "normally" soon, forget about the tests, and see how it performs.
06-30-2011, 08:05 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I was wondering about this combo as well. I have the 28-75 on my K20 now and in moderate light, its all zack-a-zik-zik-zik-zik...beep! Takes for-god-damn-ever to focus. My 18-55 wr is much faster but so much worse optically. I was hoping the minute focus adjustments would be taken care of with the K-5, at least. I know it can't work miracles.
Lol. The zack-a-zik-zik.... is probably the main reason I'm leery about getting the Tamron. I'm not a big fan of the screw drive autofocus because of the loud noise it makes. Doesn't help that is seems to have QC issues as well.

I wish I could try this lens out locally, but Tamron and Sigma lenses are rarely stocked at the local stores. I did try the 50-135 locally, and I agree it's no speed demon, but it is quiet. I'm just having a hard time spending +$1,100 on a lens that seems to have reliability issues, and only 2 years warranty.

I did order a Sigma 24-70 F2.8 HSM, but I got a bad copy (everything in the picture was out of focus) and had to send it back.
06-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

After reading some of these posts, it sounded like a different lens than my Tamy 28-75 f2.8 to the extent that i took it out to see if it had turned into a Frankenstein monster

a. Noise - I never regarded the Tamy as noisy compared to the snap of the K10 and 20 shutters. I'm pretty sensitive to noise, but the little scrunch of the Tamy has not bothered me. I think the K5 being so quiet has emphasized the Tamy, perhaps.

b. Hunting - huh. My Tamy doesn't hunt and is very sharp. Esp with the K5, it focuses fast enough IMO. One thing that helps a lot is to deactivate the half=button focus and activate the AF button. When i do stage plays, i usually only focus every 6 shots or so. I use a the widest dof i can get away with according to the light, like a f5.6 to f8. With the wider depth of field, i don't need to focus so often.

c. I also find it makes a good walk around lens, but i like to use my DA-21 for a wider angle in crowded sidewalks.

at times i wish i had the wider 24 of the Sigma equivalent, but i don't expect to get rid of the Tamy anytime soon.
06-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicks Quote
I had some bad experience with the little sister Tamron 17-50 and also 28-75......I tried 2 copies of Tamron 17-50 and sent both back because of FF issues at one end only, therefore impossible to fix with the AF fine tune. My third try was a Tamron 28-75 and sent that one back as well because of the exact same problem...I'm waiting for a replacement now....
Ditto my experience w/ the 28-75 and my K20D.
Tried 3 copies of it. Returned all 3 copies. Lucky B&H has a good return policy and covered shipping all ways. FF/BF at one end or the other and one had really bad hazing at the long end.
QC is ridiculously bad or I'm amazingly unlucky
07-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #15
Inactive Account

great lens!

Was my favorite on K2000 and K-x, for 3+ years in bright and low light with fast moving oblects. No focusing problems on K5 but the images look a bit "bland", looks like my K5 body has issues.

Someone just posted on PF absolutely stunning kids portraits taken with Tammy, check it out.