Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I live where we have dust storms and temps can reach 120F. Have traveled to the Antarctic and every continent except Australia which will be my next trip. I have never had a malfunction with my K cameras. Plastic and low humidity produces static electricity so I do not recommend it. A black cloth bag may be a better solution. Why black? The dye is usually carbon based which dissipates static charges.

07-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery
That is a heavy use on your camera. I should say take two body's and put a descent DA* on it to your use and don't change to much.

I had my K-7 in freezer to -18 degrees Celcius and that was not a problem at all. It isn't much warmer then 35 degrees overhere so I don't about the top, but I don't think that can be a problem.

Making so many pictures (I'm reaching 50K tomorrow, but one more then one K-5 body) it is always a good thing to carry more then one body.
07-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Given the K-5 shares the same body, seals, battery etc with the K-7, it's interesting to hear of complaints about K-5 QC (dust, buttons falling off, freezes, garyk's dead K-5's etc) that I don't recall ever hearing about in relation to the K-7.

What could be different between the K-5 and K-7? I always assumed that the only difference between the K-5 and the K-7 was the sensor and some associated circuitry. The K-5 assembly line should be very experienced in throwing together K-5 bodies since they are practically identical to K-7's, which they have long experience with.

Maybe the only difference is that Pentax are making many more K-5's than they did K-7's, with the increased production tempo altering the QC.
07-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #19

Dare I ask this question, where did you bought it ?
Via an Internet'site or a proximity shop
I use my K5 since Jan 11 and it's flawless.
Cheers

07-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #20
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

After viewing some shots here in this thread, I would maybe like to make a "tongue in cheek" statement, but will pass since it might get me in trouble.....and I don't need any trouble, I have plenty already. But.....some sand traps are a delight, aren't they?

Anyhow, my K5 is near perfect in every regard and I am as happy as anyone could be with its operation and performance. Maybe I am just lucky, but I see plenty of others in the same boat. Seriously, if you do not have a K5 that performs as mine does, I sympathize with you....it is an absolute joy to use and you are missing a thrill beyond any Pentax I have previously owned...by a mile!

Best Regards!
08-07-2011, 03:29 PM   #21
Banned

How did this trip go? Any results. What tribes crossed your padth?

Again my padth came across this particular tribe and made some nice new pictures.

08-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Otis appreciates your efforts to document this tribe.....maybe you could post more...just for Otis, you understand.
Regards!

08-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

Again my padth came across this particular tribe and made some nice new pictures.
Does your wife know about your passion for Beach Volleyball ?

Greetings
08-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Does your wife know about your passion for Beach Volleyball ?

Greetings
I'm single, but a (girl) friend of mine doesn't see this as an issue. It is sports photography you know! I was thinking about it lately, and I'm better in womenssports then mensports. Some of them are just to fast for me or my camera gear. So I could elope to Canon or specialize in womenssports photography
08-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #25

Original Poster
ide508 said:
QuoteOriginally posted by ide508 Quote
Dare I ask this question, where did you bought it ? Via an Internet'site or a proximity shop I use my K5 since Jan 11 and it's flawless. Cheers
I bought it on Amazon.co.uk - there were none available at local shops when I bought and no one could estimate an availability date.
08-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

I haven't left on my trip yet... now I am desperately seeking someone to hire me to go and shoot a touching, B&W feature on the losing teams in Women's beach volleyball... Any suggestions?

Last edited by ronpyke; 08-07-2011 at 10:32 PM.
08-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #27

Original Poster
Update...

Pentax service in Sweden finally got the parts in and because they are only 50km (30 miles) from where I live, I drove over and dropped off my camera for repair last week - they finished the job overnight!

Great service I must say and it is a joy to have my K-5 back whole and happy.

Now, off to hunt a beach volleyball competition...
08-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #28

Great news, enjoy !

08-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ronpyke Quote
...There are no handy repair shops in the back country of Iraq, or on the West Bank (2 upcoming assignment locations), nor can I afford to ship my camera off for long weeks while the local service centre waits for parts from Pentax...
A colleague and very good friend ( Caroline-Alida | Photography ) was on assignment whit her Hasselblad 500 C/M In Mali, that's about central Africa, when her camera broke down in the middle of the bush.
The film transport was blocked, she couldn't turn the transport crank anymore and by this the lens/shutter wasn't armed and couldn't be removed, so nothing worked.
Her local guide took her to a local craftsman to have her Hasselblad repaired. When asked, the man never had seen a Hasselblad in his life and hardly had a table, let alone some descent tools, in his straw and adobe made cabin, but he ensured her that he could repair 'that thing' and told her to come back next day.
Desperate as she was she left her camera withe the man. Next day, at noon a runner came to tell (there is no telephone nor radio) that her camera was repaired. Indeed, all worked fine! The craftsman told her that he just disassembled everything, then reassembled and greased the whole bunch and that was it. The price was two chickens, money is rather useless in the bush!
Back in Belgium, she took the camera to a renown repair shop. They opened the camera just to see that the wrong grease was used but that everything was correctly assembled and well adjusted. Quit normal that in the African bush the correct grease is not to hand...
I was told that Iraq is not the desolate african bush...

Last edited by philippe; 08-08-2011 at 11:58 PM.
08-08-2011, 01:12 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
=ronpyke;1563002

There are no handy repair shops in the back country of Iraq, or on the West Bank (2 upcoming assignment locations), nor can I afford to ship my camera off for long weeks while the local service centre waits for parts from Pentax...
Well, any pro covering two assignments in those places would have at minimum with any system, Canon, Nikon, or Pentax, 2 bodies 1 with a 16-50 and the other with a 50-135 so that no lens changing in bad conditions would be necessary and then a 3rd back up body in their luggage as well as 3-4 back up primes in case the zooms crap out.

With Nikon D3s' that's at least $15,000 in camera bodies. The Pentax system is a steal at under $4,500 for all three.

If I were just going on vacation (not a paying gig) overseas, I'd bring 2 K-5 bodies and feel very confident.