Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Well they finally arrived. Two GPS units, one for each camera. Had to update both K5s first to 1.11 version.

Have not used them yet but might have a chance this weekend.

They take one AAA battery and as mentioned above, mount solid to the hot shoe.

Very compact, very light in weight. More to follow once I get to use them.

07-23-2011, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Still cloudy here in Denmark, but I made a small video to demonstrate the basic functions and mechanical qualities.

07-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So have you take some pictures with this unit yet? =)
Can this thing record the 'trail' without attach it to the camera (and later geo tag it)? or it has to be on the camera all the time?

Any sample shooting starry nights?

Thanks,
Lee
07-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Just a side note (looking forward to seeing what this will do for photos) you can set a custom menu item #24 to remember which menu you used last. It will save you some of that button pushing.

Thanks for showing the GPS unit to us.

07-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I went out tonight and shot a bunch of shots with a couple of caveats
- I could not get reliable tracking beyond 1 minute 20 seconds with a 100mm lens
* This was most likely because of wind/tripod instability
- Calibration is a hazzle when the camera is fixed on a tripod - I was glad it was dark *grin*. A quick release mechanism is most definitively recommended
- Manual focus was difficult without a right angel finder. I am used to a 2" eyepiece with a Crayford focuser on my scope. And since I use glasses, well, lets just say it was not optimal

This is a 20 second shot
All sizes | 20 second test shot with a 100mm and O-GPS1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It is hard to get good clear skies here in Denmark since it is in the middle of summer.

I will try and use it for geo caching (the original purpose for me) to spize up my photo trips.

Edit: I noticed that with Lightroom's Flickr plugin the GPS data is not transfered
Edit2: Workaround: Click "Add this photo to the map" in Flickr, and it will display the map at the GPS coordinates

@LFLee, I do not think it will do a trail, but it's recorded information is spot on when you take pictures. It also works as soon as you turn the camera on which is great.

@Jeff, you are a life saver! I have been punching the menu button all night :-)

Last edited by Zorglub; 07-26-2011 at 03:39 PM.
07-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #21
Inactive Account

I would say for 80 seconds, that's pretty fair. Really looking forward to some seasoned (practiced) results, especially with a wide angle lens.

07-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Thanks Torben,

I don't think u can do manual focus in total darkness =) I just focus it to infinity when shooting starry night.

I don't get why you need to do calibration when it was on the tripod? I thought the calibration thing is a one-time thing? no?

Thanks for your efforts! Looking forward for more test shots and reviews. =)

Leng-Feng

07-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sensor shift tracking with wide angle?

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I would say for 80 seconds, that's pretty fair. Really looking forward to some seasoned (practiced) results, especially with a wide angle lens.
Choosing the right wide angle lens might be a bit tricky. With a linear corrected lens, objects being tracked will change size and shape as they move across the field of the lens. With a fish-eye type lens they will not move in a straight line, although their size and shape should stay consistent.
Therefore, I think the usefulness of the sensor shift tracking method will be limited to normal and telephoto lenses. In addition, super tele lenses will be quite limited due to the speed the sky streams across their field of view. I see 50 to 200 mm lenses gaining the most advantage.
I guess the high ISO performance of the K-5 may mean that a couple of seconds with longer lenses is enough.
07-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #24
Inactive Account

I'm sure there is probably an Ideal lens to use with it. Zorglub noted he used a 100mm lens for his initial test. I only said I would be interested in seeing it done with a wider angle lens. There is probably not substitute for a true tracking mount but if tracking is a feature this device can offer, I'm interested in seeing what it can really do.

07-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you going to remove the K-5 IR filter?

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
...I'm interested in seeing what it can really do.
If you are prepared to take the IR filter off your K-5, then we might really see what it can do!
07-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #26

I have a quick question: why this is not compatible with older bodies?
07-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Quote
If you are prepared to take the IR filter off your K-5, then we might really see what it can do!
No, Not ready to go there just yet

07-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #28
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by valy Quote
I have a quick question: why this is not compatible with older bodies?
Needs a sensor shift system which can handle a rotational correction. Probably also direct control of the Composition Adjustment.
07-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I did a 80 second shot with the DA 15 later in the night in much better conditions. I did not use a tripod, just set the camera on a table facing upwards. I am no expert in optics, but it is interesting how the field seams to curve at the edges.

All sizes | 80 second test shot with a 15mm and O-GPS1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- note there is a tree in the upper left

Then I did a 80 second with the 100mm, just to show you what it can do. Very nice :-)

All sizes | 80 second test shot with a 100mm and O-GPS1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I have manipulated the exposure in Lightroom and raised the black level to about 2 to get a dark sky.

The next experiment will be with camera mounted piggy bag style on my main scope. That should enable me to target a galaxy and try a long exposure. It is also much sturdier than my tripod. I will not use it's tracking capability since it would interfere with that of the astrotracker in the O-GPS1

Last edited by Zorglub; 07-27-2011 at 08:57 AM.
07-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Needs a sensor shift system which can handle a rotational correction. Probably also direct control of the Composition Adjustment.
"Older" means k100->k7, which they have SR, all the "shift system" and rotation...or not?