Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[langtitle=da]Pentax O-GPS1[/langtitle]

I just ordered the new GPS Unit. It's awesome not having to do anything at the computer in order to get the image files Geo-tagged. I'm going to love it! I already own three GPS devices - but they all need work at the computer in order to syncronize the GEO-data with the image files. That's time consuming and really a PITA.
Now I can offer my klients GEO-tagged images - effortless. Brilliant!
I even upgraded the firmware to 1.10, so it will work as soon as I get the GPS device :-)

I just sincerely hope that Ricoh will keep up the good work, that the people at Pentax/Hoya have done the last few years. I am going pro in 6 months and I don't want to have to switch to Canon or Nikon - since I've got at least 50 original Pentax lenses - and a few third party lenses as well. And quite a few bodies too - like Pentax 67, Spotmatic, ES, P50, MX, MEsuper, LX, MZ-S, K-20 and K-5 and perhaps a few more... I have been using Pentax for more than 30 years. AND I DON'T WANT TO USE WHAT EVERYBODY ELSE SEEM TO BE USING. Just Pentax, please!

REGARDS
Jens, Denmark

Last edited by Photodana; 07-04-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: stavefejl
07-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #2

I really look forward to hearing your experiences with the O-GPS1. I'm quite tempted to buy one, but want to hear a bit more about how it works in practice - especially battery life and speed of getting a fix.

By the way, you really need to go into your profile and set your language to English - at the moment the forum is trying to translate your post from Danish when it actually was written in English in the first place!

Med venlig hilsen,

Povl
07-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
Forum Member

So, you got the unit in Denmark already?
07-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Afa Fotoversand in Germany and SRS Microsystems in the UK are shipping in Europe now. I ordered one from AFA, and I will post on my experiences after I get it up and running with some clear skies. I wonder how the tracking is done, because I would love to be able to use it in conjunction with an equatorial mount (piggy bagged on the scope) for even longer exposures. I hope we can use this thread to share our experiences with the unit :-)

07-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Called around to local London Drugs at lunch. They phoned back to Pentax Canada and they are expecting them to arrive in Canada at the end of this month. Retail will be CDN279.99.

Jack
07-15-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote
I wonder how the tracking is done, because I would love to be able to use it in conjunction with an equatorial mount (piggy bagged on the scope) for even longer exposures.
That will not work I'm afraid. Either use a motor driven equatorial mount or the astrotracker function.
07-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
That will not work I'm afraid. Either use a motor driven equatorial mount or the astrotracker function.
My guess is that you are right about that. Still, it is going to be great fun to try and capture the sky for more than a few seconds without breaking the bank.

07-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm not sure, but wouldn't using the astrotracker in conjunction with the motorized equatorial mount lead to reversed startrails? You'd be getting twice the rotational correction that you'd need therefore it might make the startrails look like they're going backwards. Also, I believe that you'd get even more blurring in fixed objects like trees and buildings.
07-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I received the unit today, but alas no clear skies tonight.

First impressions
- looks good on the k5
- attaches very firmly to the flash socket with a slide to lock mechanism. No pin lock like the 540 flash - phew!
- locks satellites pretty quickly, 1 minute outside, no lock indoors
- manual pretty clear on the astrotracker function, how to calibrate and so forth
- electronic compas is precise, tested it with my normal telescope setup and north was where it's supposed to be
- it syncs time with the camera
- simple navigation mode could be fun with some photo-geocaching
- no pouch! The socket feels somewhat unprotected

Is the manual online anywhere? I could scan it if anybody is interested.
Edit: I have scanned the manual -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/frylund/sets/72157627247817180/

Last edited by Zorglub; 07-21-2011 at 08:00 AM. Reason: forgot about the missing pouch
07-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I received the unit today, but alas no clear skies tonight.

First impressions
- looks good on the k5
- attaches very firmly to the flash socket with a slide to lock mechanism. No pin lock like the 540 flash - phew!
- locks satellites pretty quickly, 1 minute outside, no lock indoors
- manual pretty clear on the astrotracker function, how to calibrate and so forth
- electronic compas is precise, tested it with my normal telescope setup and north was where it's supposed to be
- it syncs time with the camera
- simple navigation mode could be fun with some photo-geocaching

Very interested in the manual, please :-)
07-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I'm interested, please scan.
07-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Scan: Pentax O-GPS1 english manual - a set on Flickr
07-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks.

Wonder what is meant with positioning interval on page 18 and the difference between 1min and 10min?
07-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Wonder what is meant with positioning interval on page 18 and the difference between 1min and 10min?
I would guess that in order to save battery it doesn't acquire GPS positioning every second but only every minute, or third or what ever you choose.
07-21-2011, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I would guess that in order to save battery it doesn't acquire GPS positioning every second but only every minute, or third or what ever you choose.
It updates every Second - what that does is configure for how long its updating 'for'. You'll note that it speaks of overriding the Light Meter settings and extending them automatically based on the chosen setting..

So it would seem that the unit 'wakes up' based on the meter (i.e, half shutter if camera asleep or been idle) and then will continue to plot its position @ 1Hz (based on details on next page of specifications stating 1second update rate) for the duration specified.

This makes sense so that A: it doesn't constantly drain like you suggest, and B: is able to geo-tag any picture once awake without having to wait 2-3 seconds for a 3D lock again... as the light meter also triggers automatically when the camera is first turned on..

This means you can switch on, compose for a bit, then 'snap', and still have it tagged to the 10m RMS the unit supplies...

I'm almost convinced now that it uses the pTTL feedback packets maybe to pull the NMEA data (same ones that will light the flash symbol on ok exposure) - stamping the GPS lat-lon that the O-GPS1 transmits based on the normal flash trigger linked to the shutter.. and it'll work up to 1/4000 etc because it'll also fake out that it does HSS etc..

This is no doubt why Pentax state you cannot use dongles etc to use other pTTL flashes when using the O-GPS1...