Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

My K5 Fourth of July

I had decided not to take pictures this fourth of July, but somehow the DA-300 found its way out of the bag and onto the K5 . It was kind of a crazy way to take pictures but the lens couldn't be talked back into the bag.

The lookout point i shot from provided an overview of the town with fireworks going off at random times. I generally didn't use the viewfinder but just pointed the DA300 in what i hoped was the right direction and clicked. The friction knob on the ball head was very useful and the DA300 balances nicely on its own mount. thanks for looking.

07-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting shots
I especially like the 3rd shot, which is reminscient of a flower, with the origin at the upper right corner of the shot, and the 4th shot looks like a wispy tree in the wind

Nice! Even though I don't get a chance to play with my DA*300mm that often (I find it to be pretty specialized), it is my favorite.
07-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Interesting shots
I especially like the 3rd shot, which is reminscient of a flower, with the origin at the upper right corner of the shot, and the 4th shot looks like a wispy tree in the wind

Nice! Even though I don't get a chance to play with my DA*300mm that often (I find it to be pretty specialized), it is my favorite.
Thanks, 3rd is my favorite as well, i knew i wouldn't get many keepers without using a View finder, but the few ones that made the cut were fun to look at.
07-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
This is a nice set. Next time, just stay home and let your 300mm go out on a night of fun

07-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots.
What kind of settings did you use, and how far away from the fireworks where you?
Thanks.
07-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Interesting shots

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
This is a nice set. Next time, just stay home and let your 300mm go out on a night of fun
QuoteOriginally posted by jamescp Quote
Great shots.
What kind of settings did you use, and how far away from the fireworks where you?
Thanks.
Thanks Cal, Ron and James,
Settings were 2 sec, iso 80, F8. It was like using a flash, changing the shutter speed from 2 sec to 8 sec didn't' lighten the picture that much, just superimposed more fireworks onto others. There isn't much cropping done in any of these pics, it just shows how sharp the DA 300mm lens is !!! I'm not good with distances, but i'm guessing it was from 1/4 mile to 8 miles. I wasn't even tightening the ball lock down, just letting the friction adjustment hold the position. Giottos ball head.
07-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots! I really like 1 with the buildings in there. Nice work