Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K-5 Vs. 7-D with 328 lenses

Here is what I think about the two cameras and the two lenses. I don't have a Pentax 328 I have a Sigma version. I have had the Canon 7D and Canon 328 about a week now. After shooting with the 7D and the 328. and after a good shoot yesterday I thought I could share some of what I like and do not like about the two.
This kinda surprized me. I have never owned anything but Pentax. So this is my first experence with Canon.

Pentax with the K-5 and Sigma 328 lens is very light weight. The lens is a lot smaller and easier to handle than the Canon. With the 7D attached which is HUGE. Much bigger and bulkier than the K-5. It is almost like the K-5 and Sigma 545.

AF is where I expected to find a big difference with Canon 7D. And will say it hit's very fast and accurate. I cannot hear it at all. So it is hard to give a good comparison of speed. AF is a bit faster with Canon I think. But the K-5 with screw focus is extremly fast with the Sigma 328. The canon does not seem to hunt as much and rack back and forth for focus. But I think the K-5 does a good job personally. I have had some AF misses with the 7D. But the difference in good light is not that much. I was a bit shocked. The K-5 does a pretty good job. I have not checked it in low light yet, and that will really be interesting for me. The K-5 has lost me many a once in a lifetime shot. With Af problems, and the worst is it confirms and fires. Then to find FF or BF so bad the photos are useless.

I actually have many good things to say about the K-5. The small size is a huge deal for me. Having to lug around these cameras and lens all day is a chore. The K-5 and Sigma 328 is very managable. Where as the 7-D and 328 is a chore. and left me wishing I had my K-5 back. My K-5's are back in Japan for service AGAIN. Not to happy about that.

I think the Sigma 328 is way over priced compared to Canon 328. I picked up an almost new copy of the Canon for just a few hundred over what I paid for the Sigma. If you could pick up a copy of the Sigma for 2000-2400 dollars I think it would be a good Deal. Also I think with some PP with the sigma you can get pretty close in IQ. Without a T.C.. Next week I will compare the two with a 1.4 T.C.. I think will be interesting. I am expecting the Canon to be better, but now I am not sure how much?
I will update this thread after I shoot the Canon with a dedicated T.C..

Also the Pentax K-5 handles high ISO better than the Canon 7-D.

I'll tell you I think the 7-D will turn out to be a good camera. The build quality is excellent.

So Pentax is small and easy to manage. And the K-5 has excellent high ISO performance. Canon is big and not easily managed. I shoot mostly on a tripod but still the difference is huge. And high ISO is not as good as Pentax.

The only thing on Pentax is I cannot get the K-5 to hold up. I have had constant problems with it. But I think the next K-5 should be better i hope. If it is then I will be in line for one for sure. If not?????

Here is a link to a few shots I took with the 7-D yesterday and 328.
Flickr: gary1844's Photostream

This is just my opinion. No intent to make anyone mad.

Attached Images

Last edited by garyk; 07-19-2011 at 10:15 AM.
07-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

WTF is 328, 545, etc?
07-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"WTF is 328, 545, etc?"
Ha! I solved it!
300mm f2.8
500mm f4.5
Wow. DOF,FF,BIF,328.... Good for brain developing,DSLRs. Even if only ASP-C.
07-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good progress report. Pls keep us posted. I knew the K-5 would do better high ISO than the 7D. I wonder how much difference that will makes in shooting how you do Gary - ie will the 7D keep you to a ISO ceiling noticeably different from what you would have used with the K-5, and then would that also impact the aperture/DOF you could have used too.

Awesome firepower you have there btw.

07-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
rawr, I am wondering the same thing. It will be interesting when back in the jungle. Here in Texas there is more than enough sun. So no problem so far. But I do not know about under the canopy. I am heading back to the jungle for a 1-2 year shoot at the end of August. I'll keep posting on this thread.
07-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The larger hood is what makes it a fair chunk bigger; the metal body and full weather sealing will also add bulk but the Canon 300 f/2.8 is undoubtedly much, much better build than the Sigma equivalent.
07-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yep, I am amazed at the build quality. It is like going from the stone age to the 20th century over night for me. Although I still think if you can pick up a used Sigma at a good price it is a good alternative. But if buying new?? I sure would not do it again.
07-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting and fair enough. Your bunting certainly beats mine...I shot mine with the K5 and the Bigma through a dirty office window at 500mm.....not like yours for sure, but decent enough for some use.

ISO 1600
[IMG] [/IMG]

This one I like better at ISO 12,800....500mm through the same window.
[IMG] [/IMG]

I don't often see these here in N Central Texas...lovely birds! I am very familiar with all of the Hill Country, maybe an expert on every road and back road there.....a wonderful place anytime of the year, but in particular in the spring and summer.....Pretty dry this year.....a few short years ago, record rains.....

Back to business....I have a friend that shoots Canon...and to this day he has never captured a Cardinal in its natural colors...and I see you didn't either. Canon just can't get reds right, at least on Cardinals. Pentax.....closer than anything else I have seen. Not a big deal...unless you are a Cardinal! Sorry about your K5 problems, it is a fantastic camera, I have no problems to date in any area, but hate that some others do.

Again, enjoyed your comparison, fair enough, and if you would like to know of a road most everyone misses in the Hill Country, mail me. It is gorgeous!

Oh yeah, a K10D Cardinal.
1/20 Hand-held...there is no SR on the Canon....right? 500mm 6.7 ISO 560
[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards & hope to hear more on your trip...where are you going? When?
Rupert

07-06-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hey Rupert. I actually saw your pics of the bunting before you posted here.
Yep, it is dry here for sure. But at a few feeding station's that are starting to pop up the birds are flocking in. Easy to take.
I agree on canon colors. I absolutely love the Pentax colors. And believe it or not you are not the only one that has mentioned that. The change is unreal. I know why Hoya wanted that for their medical imaging. Just the best in the industry in my opinion. I still have two good lenses and do not want to buy the 500 canon now. So my K-x is going to see a lot of action. I hope My hopes are we will see the next generation of the K-5 soon. Actually I would love to see the same sensor with refinements to the AF and build quality of the inner components.
Nice cardinal by the way.
07-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Appreciate your review here. I guess the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence -- just different.

My biggest hope with the Ricoh take over is that they work on the QC issues that people have experienced. While I haven't had any problem with my K5, it seems like more people have had trouble with shoddy workmanship. At the same time, I like Pentax's products with regard to size, colors, lenses better than anything else out there.
07-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
Hey Rupert. I actually saw your pics of the bunting before you posted here.
Yep, it is dry here for sure. But at a few feeding station's that are starting to pop up the birds are flocking in. Easy to take.
I agree on canon colors. I absolutely love the Pentax colors. And believe it or not you are not the only one that has mentioned that. The change is unreal. I know why Hoya wanted that for their medical imaging. Just the best in the industry in my opinion. I still have two good lenses and do not want to buy the 500 canon now. So my K-x is going to see a lot of action. I hope My hopes are we will see the next generation of the K-5 soon. Actually I would love to see the same sensor with refinements to the AF and build quality of the inner components.
Nice cardinal by the way.
Yes, that is a good idea...I feed lots of birds...and I think millions of Squirrels. Water is being rationed, but Squirrels will drink beer if you give them gourmet nuts along with a slice of lime.....

This little pig grabbed two slices of apple, and I snapped just as he was losing one of them.
[IMG] [/IMG]

Feed the birds..but don't forget the Squirrels...they get hungry too! Buy cheap beer....they don't know the difference, but if you start them out on the high dollar stuff they will demand it instead.

Best Regards!
07-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
LOL, Yea i am going broke feeding the birds here. But I think the squirrels eat as much bird seed as the birds.. I have two here. I will try to photo one and post...
07-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the report Gary. Should be an interesting saga...

And sorry to hear you've had such a hard time w/ the K-5....Pentax really should keep making their 300/2.8 :-P
07-06-2011, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have heard the old 300mm 2.8 is really sharp. To bad... I'll tell you the sensor in the K-5 and ISO is much better than the 7-D. I just read Adams report on it and it is spot on. When you sharpen the noise really get bad. The K-5 was a real winner for birding. I hope Pentax Japan can fix mine...... Damn. With a little AF adj. and shutter fix. It would be top notch... Oh well we will see.
07-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote

Here is a link to a few shots I took with the 7-D yesterday and 328.
Flickr: gary1844's Photostream
Are these shots PP'ed?