Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #1

Could someone tell me why?

and what I need to adjust on my K-5 to get a better picture? Both were taken under the same lighting conditions. Why is the exposure better on the 20D one?

Attached Images

07-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shot RAW or jpg?

Same lens?
07-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #3

The white balance is different in these two. You can see the red cast on the K-5. Do you have it set to AUTO WB? You may want to shoot with a grey card, or manually adjust afterwards. Shooting in RAW will help that.
07-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The EV was probably different somehow.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Except that given the variables - shutter, ISO, aperture... the K-5 shot should be darker. Unless the lens is metering differently or the jpg engine is processing differently. Assuming the lighting is truly the same.
07-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Forum Member

It looks to me like there's some lens flare on the K5 one. In the middle the black is washed out, lower down it's not (or, less so anyway). Also, the K5 should have a bigger dynamic range, which is a good thing, but it will mean less contrast - which, if it's not desired, is easy to fix with levels in Photoshop/Aperture/etc.

And just as a disclaimer, I'm not 100% sure about that last part, but that's my impression, and I'd be happy if someone corrected me if I'm wrong.
07-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well there is probably some front focus (or back) to make the K-5 as sharp as the K20D. The Samsung sensor was always set to underexpose a little, 1/3th stop, so that explaines a little to the difference.

07-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

As GrantMeThePower noted, I would grey card the exposures for both cameras in manual mode or lock the exposure after grey carding then try again; this will in fact narrow down the issue.

----
07-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #9

Original Poster
shot jpeg...
07-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #10

Original Poster
I did shoot jpeg, with different lenses, same light. Auto WB. I was just surprised that the K-5 was darker. I will have to figure out the grey card thing. I would like more consistent results.
07-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rene` Quote
I did shoot jpeg, with different lenses, same light. Auto WB.
Well there are some differences that could make a big difference, so no conclusions from this set of pictures!
07-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It might of helped to have both shots with identical settings.
Other than that, its quite common for camera's to meter and produce different results. Though shooting without white balance in a fixed setting is likely the major cause behind the differences here.
07-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did shoot jpeg, with different lenses, same light. Auto WB. I was just surprised that the K-5 was darker. I will have to figure out the grey card thing. I would like more consistent results.
The K-5 image is not darker.

To make a true comparison of this sort, you need to use the same lens on both cameras.
07-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crimson_penguin Quote
It looks to me like there's some lens flare on the K5 one. In the middle the black is washed out, lower down it's not (or, less so anyway). Also, the K5 should have a bigger dynamic range, which is a good thing, but it will mean less contrast - which, if it's not desired, is easy to fix with levels in Photoshop/Aperture/etc.

And just as a disclaimer, I'm not 100% sure about that last part, but that's my impression, and I'd be happy if someone corrected me if I'm wrong.

I'm with you on the flare part. I own a Fuji x100 and take plenty of pics like the one on the right if I'm not careful with bright light sources just out of frame.

As others have noted as well, you'll need to make all factors identical for comparison shots. The only difference should be the body. Not the body + aperture + lens. That's way too many variables to make any kind of solid conclusion.

Last edited by RyanW; 07-08-2011 at 06:15 PM.
07-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Shoot raw, it'll give us a lot more to work with in determining what went different.

And with different lenses, it'd be quite tough to get consistent results unless both lenses are of great quality