Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, Oh!

i ran into a very strange problem today with my K5. It was in my Kata bag (plenty of room) but when i pulled it out the 'on' switch was rotated beyond the DOF position and stuck, with no power to anything. I was able to rotate it back into position with a bit of effort but once back into position, everything seemed to work normally. The operative word is 'seemed'. Tonight I was able to look at things more closely and here is what i am finding:
  • The photos that I took today are there, but everything else on the SHDC is wiped out. I can live with this, but odd.
  • Some of the menu items cannot be reached at all. Things like 'Cross Processing' thru 'HDR' are greyed out menus no matter what program the camera is set to. So I reset the settings and, no luck! Still greyed out menu items.
I have checked the firmware and this has not changed (1.03) so my next step is probably to update the firmware and see if this helps, but it would seem strange that this would do anything.

Any suggestions?? Tks.

07-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #2

I would do the following:

1. Remove your battery and re-install it. (H/W reset) Make sure your battery is charged.
2. Re-format your memory card
See if that helps. You gonna have to get your pwr on/off switch replaced if you can't solve this problem yourself.

Last edited by jcp5; 07-08-2011 at 08:27 PM.
07-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

sounds like knob has rotated on its shaft, that camera is actual in a different mode than is indicated by knob. Knob problem and disappearing photos make me think somebody else has been in your bag!
07-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Mystery complaints ....gotta just hate them! Sometimes we never know just what happened, how, or when. I once had a roof leak that took me two years to find, and when I did, it was over 50 ft from where it would occasionally appear inside my home. The cause...a falling bullet some fool shot in the air that landed on my roof in the seam of a valley where it was almost impossible to see.

Send your camera in for repair...something is not right, and it may only show up again when you need it most...and are least prepared.
Best Regards

07-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MAS_ttl Quote
Some of the menu items cannot be reached at all. Things like 'Cross Processing' thru 'HDR' are greyed out menus no matter what program the camera is set to. So I reset the settings and, no luck! Still greyed out menu items.
Normally, HDR through cross processing are disabled unless you're shooting JPEG. My guess is that you're in RAW or RAW+ mode.
07-09-2011, 12:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Karl Stevens Quote
Normally, HDR through cross processing are disabled unless you're shooting JPEG. My guess is that you're in RAW or RAW+ mode.
That was my first thought too, grayed out menus means that you are in a mode where they can't be used.
07-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback!

Rupert, I think that you are right. I found that the DOF doesn't work so the power / DOF switch is clearly not working right. I REALLY hate to give up my camera for a while, but something ain't right!

Everyone else, yeah, I have used the reset menu and pulled the battery to no avail. I checked in JPEG as well as RAW+ as well as checking every setting (Program, TAV, etc.) so I know the greyed menus are greyed under all conditions. Unfortunately, I think the problem is more serious than I had hoped.

Oh, and I know that nobody else touched the camera, but I do think I learned a lesson that others may find useful. My camera bag was behind the driver's seat with the rear seats in my SUV folded down. My driver's seat automatically moves back when the car is shut off and with the rear seats folded and the way the camera sits in the bag, I think it squeezed the camera case against the rear seat cushion just right and it caused the power knob to rotate! Weird, I know, but the way the camera sits in the case and the way the seats move, this is what I think happened! So a lesson learned!

Thanks again!
07-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #8

Original Poster
Just before my K5 Problem

I thought I would post a small file version of one of the shots that took just a day or so before I had this problem. Unfortunately, I really liked this photo but I only have the quick screen saver version left - the original full file was on my SHDC card. But what I liked about this one was the texture in B&W, and this was actually just using the in-camera B&W conversion to see what it could do! I am really sorry that I lost this and some other files!

Attached Images

07-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #9

Original Poster
Oh, Yeah!!!

Quick and Remarkable Update - I updated the firmware to 1.10 using a second card and amazingly EVERYTHING is back and working, including the DOF control!

That last part I don't get because I didn't think the DOF was a software-driven command, but it works. And the greyed out menus are back, plus the original files are back 'visible' on the SHDC card. So something in the firmware must have been corrupted by the original problem but overwritten by the new firmware file.

I know I should send it in to have it checked by Pentax, but . . . I really don't want to let it out of my sight! This is a sign that I need to go outside and shoot some photos right now, right?!
07-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lucky you. Resetting the camera to it's fabrick settings was also one option to follow.