Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2011, 02:50 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote

.... amazingly enough, my PC was corrupting the cards whenever I would read data off of them. Which had me was convinced that camera was at fault.

<- took me three days to figure that out.
Ditto with my laptop and K20D. I just knew it was the camera so it took me about three months of stumbling around before I found the culprit... a faulty built-in SD reader. Got a portable el-cheapo USB card reader. No problems since.

07-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll do some investigating and see what I come up with.
07-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #18

If you are experiencing this problem and waiting to see what is done about it before sending your camera in for repair (as I was). Please call Pentax Customer Care at 800-877-0155 and report/complain about it.
The more they hear about this particular problem, the more likely they will be able to figure out the root cause of the issue.
07-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
And the cause.... (are you ready for this?) was my PC! Yes.... amazingly enough, my PC was corrupting the cards whenever I would read data off of them. Which had me was convinced that camera was at fault.
Can't see how a read-only operation, rather than an operation requiring writing, would corrupt an SD card. SD cards have a write-protect tab. If you enable the W/P on the card, is the card still corrupted during reading in your PC?

If the SD Card reader is corrupting the FAT on the SD card, for example when you delete the files after transferring them to the PC via a SD card reader, the way to test this would be to reformat the SD card in the camera (i.e. renew the File Allocation Table - not sure if the camera format is a "quick" one i.e. does not do a bad sector scan) before using the card again.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 07-15-2011 at 07:48 PM.
07-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Would it be really terrible of me, if the camera had to be sent in for repairs, to wait until the warranty is closer to ending?
07-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by melvis2 Quote
Would it be really terrible of me, if the camera had to be sent in for repairs, to wait until the warranty is closer to ending?
I don't think so. In fact Pentax might even prefer that since it decreases the chance you'll need to send it in more than once.

I won't be sending mine in until they figure out how to fix it.
07-16-2011, 03:26 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Can't see how a read-only operation, rather than an operation requiring writing, would corrupt an SD card. SD cards have a write-protect tab. If you enable the W/P on the card, is the card still corrupted during reading in your PC?
Think mount/unmount procedures.

Its something we all take for granted with SD cards, but the potential for data corruption is always there even with read operations if the device malfunctions.