Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: National Capital Region
Posts: 738
among the many positives about K-5...

There have been many positives said about the K-5, yet there have also been some issues reported by users from the field. As someone who has been considering it for a little while, I've compiled this list so I can have an idea of what is being reported, whether they are being addressed, and if and how they affect or influence the users.

I am merely interested in understanding if these constitute as real issues no matter how rarely they are reported as long as they are not a one-off case, and don't really care much about intricate details, percentages, etc.

Here's what I have so far from a quick glance of the K-5 forum thread headings from the first couple of pages:
  • Lens release button fell off
  • New K-5 locked up
  • Shutter going off by itself
  • High-ISO banding
  • Sensor stain
  • Focus issues
  • Flash problems with K-5
  • On-Off switch rotated beyond DOF
  • DEAD K-5

Feel free to add to the list if you have a real issue that you've experienced with your K-5 that is not a documented feature or limitation.

07-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,695
A poll of these issues may be useful, however their relevance in the scheme of K-5 reliability overall is questionable.

The only issue I have encountered thus far with my copy (and is easily managed) is P-TTL overexposure.
07-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member
joe.penn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland (Right Outside Washington DC)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,902
I have not had any of the issues you mentioned with mine, I have however ran into one tonight. You are from DC so you know of the super blanket lightning storm we had earlier tonight - I went out to shoot some lightning, and this is what I ran into:

Live View
Bulb Mode (10-20 second exposures)
Wireless Remote (shutter push on remote to start exposure, shutter push on remote to end exposure)

Every so often, it would lock up - the remote would all of a sudden not control the shutter, trying to push the shutter manually would not work either (this was after the picture has been processed by the camera and live view was active again) - to get shutter control again, I would have to turn off the camera and turn it back on.

Not sure if this was because of the rain, batteries, or what it was caused from - the camera was quite a bit wet. As of right now I am not too concerned with this issue, I will however keep an eye on it and see if it happens again...


FEI: I am extremely pleased (or, couldn't be more pleased) with my K5 and feel that at the moment there is no better fit for me - will try and see if I can find a stray silver one soon




---
07-11-2011, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
I can't imagine what you'd have to do to get the K-5's sensor to 'band'; I've pushed shadows 5 stops without seeing any banding - that's a new one on me.The K-5 will lock up/crash/etc (including shutter firing on its own) when batteries get low - even if it doesn't *look* low. I've experienced this three times now, where pulling/replacing the battery didn't fix it, but puttin in a new, fully charged one did. The manual even says that lockups can be a problem with low batteries.

I've experienced focus issues with certain lenses; non-Pentax zooms that go from wide to tele. All my other lenses focus fine.

Just get off the dime and buy one. Even if I had to return mine under warranty, it would be worth it.

07-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,620
Alas, every batch of camera's comes with its own set of flaws.

Some of the issues mentioned are QC related(ie. fallen buttons, dead K-5, shutter malfunction etc). While others fall in the operator side of things(lock-ups). Whereas the stains and other sensor defects seem to be behind us(few stragglers) and for the most part, are cleared-up. And so were left with issues like focusing and flash which I think are fairly typical when all is said and done.

To which I'd add, it would be nice to be able to say that any other manufacturer isn't prone to such things, but if you follow other forums(Canon and Nikon) you'd see that most every new camera follows the same type of process. The only that I've found seems to be with the Leica crowd. Which isn't immune to manufacturing defects, but seems far more aggressive when it comes to product QC and corrections.

My two cents.

PS. my wife and I both own K-5's and I drive the snot out of mine on a daily basis. Whereas she(the wife) hardly uses hers. Though she did leave it "exposed" in the sun on the dash of our vehicle for an entire day while we were at the beach. And when one of our children went to get it, it was so hot they couldn't hold it in their hands. And it worked like a charm. - At which point we thought... hey... that's a rugged camera!

True story btw.
07-12-2011, 04:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,258
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I can't imagine what you'd have to do to get the K-5's sensor to 'band'; I've pushed shadows 5 stops without seeing any banding - that's a new one on me.The K-5 will lock up/crash/etc (including shutter firing on its own) when batteries get low - even if it doesn't *look* low. I've experienced this three times now, where pulling/replacing the battery didn't fix it, but puttin in a new, fully charged one did. The manual even says that lockups can be a problem with low batteries.

I've experienced focus issues with certain lenses; non-Pentax zooms that go from wide to tele. All my other lenses focus fine.

Just get off the dime and buy one. Even if I had to return mine under warranty, it would be worth it.
Yes, I have never seen banding, even pushing several stops. Noise yes, banding never. I have never had any of the other issues and am very satisfied with my K5.
07-12-2011, 04:26 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,412
As the OP of the LR button thread, I should make clear that I think the outstanding capabilities of the K-5 make it well worth the price and possible aggravation (which is why I have two ;~)
07-12-2011, 04:33 AM   #8
New Member
SveinG's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stranda, Norway
Posts: 15
I have two K-5. One from one of the first batches and one Silver Ltd. I have not experienced any of these issues you are listing. I am very satiesfied with my two.

07-12-2011, 04:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member
stanic's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 380
mine observations so far:
bounce flash overexposure...expected and you can work around it
focusing in contrast detect mode not accurate...not expected and surprising, especially the 35/2,8 ltd can not focus right in LV when focusing near infinity...but I tuned the phase detect AF and so far am happy

Last edited by stanic; 07-12-2011 at 04:41 AM.
07-12-2011, 04:39 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 571
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I have not had any of the issues you mentioned with mine, I have however ran into one tonight. You are from DC so you know of the super blanket lightning storm we had earlier tonight - I went out to shoot some lightning, and this is what I ran into:

Live View
Bulb Mode (10-20 second exposures)
Wireless Remote (shutter push on remote to start exposure, shutter push on remote to end exposure)

Every so often, it would lock up - the remote would all of a sudden not control the shutter, trying to push the shutter manually would not work either (this was after the picture has been processed by the camera and live view was active again) - to get shutter control again, I would have to turn off the camera and turn it back on.

Not sure if this was because of the rain, batteries, or what it was caused from - the camera was quite a bit wet. As of right now I am not too concerned with this issue, I will however keep an eye on it and see if it happens again...


FEI: I am extremely pleased (or, couldn't be more pleased) with my K5 and feel that at the moment there is no better fit for me - will try and see if I can find a stray silver one soon




---

When I had a K-5, I experienced similar problems. I traced the problem down to a particular SD card that the K5 was having problems with. That card works without issue in a Canon P&S, my K20D, and a D7000. I don't know if this is what is causing your issue, but I did conclude that the K5 may be touchy with SD ards.
07-12-2011, 04:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Budapest
Posts: 821
I can't speak for everyone, but my experience and what I've read from from other reputable people:
  • Lens release button fell off - only read a few ppl post it here, so I guess it affects a small portion of cameras
  • New K-5 locked up - never experienced it, neither a local guy who regularly shoots thousands of pics
  • Shutter going off by itself - same as previous point
  • High-ISO banding - only seen one person post it recently, seems to be one bad unit
  • Sensor stain - resolved long ago
  • Focus issues - never experienced it on my second cam (first was replaced due to stains in last December, focus issue was also present in that cam), few people still report issues so I guess there might be bad/worse units out there
  • Flash problems with K-5 - I have it, learned to use manual flash as a workaround and to be honest now I wouldn't go back to P-TTL even if it worked flawlessly
  • On-Off switch rotated beyond DOF - only read one case which was an accident
  • DEAD K-5 - only read very few cases, might be bad units

To be honest if I had to buy K-5 today then flash issue would be the only one to concern, but even with that I'd still buy it. It's just such a superb camera. I was one of the early adopters, had many issues with my first K-5, Pentax's pathetic support really made me angry, but still I haven't regretted buying K-5. I think it was the best purchase I made so far. I do hope all remaining issues will be resolved and that next cameras will have a much better start (with less issues).

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
Feel free to add to the list if you have a real issue that you've experienced with your K-5 that is not a documented feature or limitation.
My real issue is that the cam didn't come with hot models so I can't shoot any, but I'd like to. Stupid Pentax, zomfg I'm jumping ship to Nikon
07-12-2011, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,122
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
My real issue is that the cam didn't come with hot models so I can't shoot any, but I'd like to. Stupid Pentax, zomfg I'm jumping ship to Nikon
Nikons come with hot models?!?

... I'd get a nikon point-and-shoot, including the models, and shoot them with my Pentax...
07-12-2011, 05:28 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,412
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Nikons come with hot models?!?

... I'd get a nikon point-and-shoot, including the models, and shoot them with my Pentax...
07-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Nikons come with hot models?!?

... I'd get a nikon point-and-shoot, including the models, and shoot them with my Pentax...
That was my plan, but when I bought my Nikon CoolPix 1D10T and sent in the card, they told me the promo was over - all the hot models were gone.
07-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: National Capital Region
Posts: 738
Original Poster
This was not intended to establish the camera's reliability factor which seems fairly high for the year or so its been out. Nor was this thread meant to imply any single copy having all the issues listed. But if that were indeed the case, with my luck I just know I will end up with it so you can understand why some can be a bit gun-shy

One comforting thing is there isn't anything new reported from what's already been said, and the biggest issue which now seem to be over was the sensor stain.

Now, where is its successor so the darn prices can start dropping for it to be affordable for the rest of us?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, issues, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, list, pentax k-5, positives, users
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:59 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top