Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #1

Anyone have a circuit board go on K-5

After waiting 3 weeks I finally got through to CRIS cam to find out what is wrong with my k-5. They said my printed circuit board was fried and it will take a minimum of 6 weeks to repair it, as they are waiting on a part from overseas. My first response was are they rowing a boat across the ocean to get the part! UGH!

I've only had this camera for 3 months and am loosing my faith in Pentax. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

07-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No, not had anything go wrong with my K5. Friend had a shutter circuit board go wrong on his K20D - if i have that right?? Anyway, he's been told that for K20 parts, they are waiting for enough demand to do a run of them. In the meantime he's bought a K5.

Hope your part arrives quickly!
07-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, fortunately I have my K20 for back up, but if something goes wrong with that I am in trouble. I do hope it doesn't take the projected 6 weeks to get my K-5 back to me I really need it for a few sessions I have coming up in super low light. That's where my k-5 excels over the K20
07-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Forum Member

Sorry to here that.

In the meantime you say youve had the camera for 3 months. Why didnt they give you a new one. The stores I buy things from will and does had me new when I bring in defective Items If they want more of my business.

If they dont I call visa they refund me.

07-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am surprised they didn't stock such part because faulty printed circuits aren't that rare with Pentax DSLRs.
07-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
I didn't take it back to B&H I called Pentax when the camera originally died and they told me to send it in. Over the phone they thought it was a loose battery contact or something simple like that. Then today found out its a much more serious problem that thought.
I wish they would just issue me a new camera. Must keep hounding them!
07-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I am surprised they didn't stock such part because faulty printed circuits aren't that rare with Pentax DSLRs.
To correct that, these things tend to go down on every electronic equipement from time to time on a small percantage.

07-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

All these K-5 issues are a plot by Pentax to get all of us to buy 2 K-5's, one as primary, the other as backup
07-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #9

Original Poster
Called Pentax again to hound them, I seriously cannot believe that it will take 6 weeks to get a new circuit board, and that the problem will be resolved and won't happen again.
I kept asking to speak with a supervisor and kept going up until I spoke with someone who would agree that this was a problem. They have now made a note on my work order that if my part is not in by august 1st that a new body will be issued.
But that doesn't mean a new body will be on its way come august 2nd a new body will in the mail. That could take more time. ACK- back to the 6 weeks. So calling back tomorrow to push a bit more. This is rediculous!
07-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
Rin
Forum Member

What was the reason why it had to be replaced by the way?
07-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #11

Original Poster
The printed circuit board got fried
07-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #12

gee, were you having the mirror problem?

You'll see another thread nearby about the shutter going off by itself, but i actually think it's just the mirror moving, since no extra pix get taken. or maybe it's the shutter. but regardless, a bunch of people are having this problem, and it sure seems like a circuit board problem to me. i have had two cameras now doing this (the second not so badly yet), and it was set off by all kinds of different controls on the camera -- shutter, rear dial, af button, turning the camera on or off, even inserting a battery. this says to me that circuits are crossed, which seems like a circuit board. that this fault seems pretty common could be why they're back-ordered on circuit boards.

my first k5 started doing this all the time after about 3 mos. after 2 long months in repair and some complaining from me they finally sent me a new one, which started acting up in 2 or 3 weeks. for now it's still intermittent and mild, but something tells me it's toast.

it's possible pentax has a big issue on its hands. seems much worse than the sensor stain issue, though can't be sure how common it is.
07-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pamones Quote
After waiting 3 weeks I finally got through to CRIS cam to find out what is wrong with my k-5. They said my printed circuit board was fried and it will take a minimum of 6 weeks to repair it, as they are waiting on a part from overseas. My first response was are they rowing a boat across the ocean to get the part! UGH!

I've only had this camera for 3 months and am loosing my faith in Pentax. Has anyone else had a similar issue?
I've sent out many Pentax bodies to Pentax Canada over the years for CLA and in a few occasions it took that long to get them back. However, I always keep a backup body on hand and so the wait was nothing more than an inconvenience.

Having said that, 6 weeks sounds about right for a repair of this type imo. However, if you find yourself in a position where you don't have a backup and need one, then I'd recommend getting yourself setup to as to avoid such things in the near future. ie. extended warranty with dealer etc. to keep yourself up and running.

Last edited by JohnBee; 07-13-2011 at 06:51 PM.
07-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #14
Rin
Forum Member

The printed circuit board got fried
but what was happening before it got fried? was it the shutter issue that is now the hot problem for this camera?
07-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Called Pentax again to hound them, I seriously cannot believe that it will take 6 weeks to get a new circuit board, and that the problem will be resolved and won't happen again.
I kept asking to speak with a supervisor and kept going up until I spoke with someone who would agree that this was a problem. They have now made a note on my work order that if my part is not in by august 1st that a new body will be issued.
But that doesn't mean a new body will be on its way come august 2nd a new body will in the mail. That could take more time. ACK- back to the 6 weeks. So calling back tomorrow to push a bit more. This is rediculous!
Yea I feel your pain. Its absolutely no fun waiting for what seems like forever to get back something you paid good money for and enjoy a lot. Should see my posts here when my GX10 died on me (K10D clone). I had to call all the time .

I have learned over the years to just ride it out. I just (June 27) received my K20D back from CRIS after it was in their hands for 19 days, 15 working days, with shipping I waited a few weeks in total. I thought thats not bad. But it was the first time I had to send in my K20D that I have owned for over two years now, so a bit of a difference, its not a new toy.

Again I know how it feels...