Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2011, 02:25 AM   #1

Is it safe to buy a K-5 now??

I have been thinking about buying one since May, the fund is here, but I was hearing about the sensor stains as well as the crazy mirror behavior by some users........ So a 2nd hand is definitely out of the question. I have seen many get images from K5, should I wait??

07-13-2011, 02:29 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
The sensor issue is resolved as far as I know and I've read very little about mirror problems. I'd buy it. If there is any problems with it, you still have the warranty.
07-13-2011, 02:46 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's no reason to wait IMO- the sensor stain issue is a thing of the past (specifically last year), and the K-5's price is very close to being as low as it will ever go in retail ($1279).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-13-2011, 04:59 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't see why you'd avoid 2nd hand. I have one such K-5 and it's been fine throughout. If anything, 2nd hand has been tried and tested in the real world - but getting a new one should be just as good.

Enjoy shoppong... the K-5 os worth what it is being sold for at the moment.

07-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Just do it......despite some problems, and we don't really know what % they are, the vast majority of K5 owners are like me.....wishing they had the K5 long ago. It is truly a Game Changer, you won't have to wait and let it "grow on you"...from your first session with the K5 you will see and feel the difference.
Best Regards!
07-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I'm not sure there is any reson to wait to buy a K5. The camera is fun to use and the IQ is very good. The stain issue seems to be over. The random Mirror Flops that seem to be on the rise will eventually be solved. While the Mirror Flops are irritating the images produced, for now, outweigh the irritation caused by this issue.

My hope is that Pentax will investigate this and find the root cause and address it.
07-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #7

Mine arrived Friday, none of the above problems cited have been experienced. One hangup with one lens which I also had trouble with on my K10D over 4 years ago. The prices are dropping, the few bugs are being ironed out..Go for it!

07-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would go with Q.
07-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It depends on what you have right now.
If you don't have a camera, just get a K5 now.
The stains issue is over and only affected a early first batch. Its also honored in the warranty.
The mirror slap thing, does not seem to happen to everyone. Generally, not a killer issue if it happened anyway. There is again warranty if it happens.
The K5 is the best DSLR from Pentax that I have used to date (K100D; K7).
The sort of camera with a leap in performance that makes upgrading from a older camera worth it.

If you are concerned about price, at most it will drop a bit more come Aug or thereabouts, when the rumoured APS-C mirrorless or K5 successor is announced.
07-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After being totally ready to buy one, I've now decided to wait. If things improve or prices come down for whatever reasons, I will reconsider if I haven't blown the funds on something else by then.

Or may be I will wake up one Saturday or Sunday morning, and realize that I actually did pull the trigger the previous night on the advice and influence of Jim Beam (Black)!

Last edited by EsBee; 07-14-2011 at 09:34 AM.
07-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I've been day dreaming about the k-5 too, but all these issues, whether or not they've been fixed, make me hesitate to buy. I have the k-x and it sleeps next to me in bed haha. Dare I upgrade and leave my first k love behind?
07-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I mentioned this in another post, but I've made a decision to skip the K-5. It's just too buggy a camera for me. Yes, I know there's no perfect camera and other brands have their problems as well. But there are too many issues with the K-5. I just bought a DA Limited 21mm for my K200D (which continues to work without problems). No, I'm not abandoning Pentax... but these posts from those who've decided to pass on the K-5 should serve as a warning for the company. Now, I'll wait for the K-3 and hope Ricoh's influence will help matters. Until then, maybe I'll build out my micro four-thirds kit.

Last edited by Biro; 07-14-2011 at 09:39 PM.
07-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I feel sorry for everyone who has decided not to buy a K-5 based on some non issues. No the K-5 is not perfect but its the closest camera I have had to perfect. I'm pretty sure its a better camera than me and 99% of the people on this forum are photographers.
07-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
I feel sorry for everyone who has decided not to buy a K-5 based on some non issues. No the K-5 is not perfect but its the closest camera I have had to perfect. I'm pretty sure its a better camera than me and 99% of the people on this forum are photographers.
Agreed!
07-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Its still $400 too high.

Jason