Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2011, 05:57 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K5 colors

I'm shooting raw and I’m having hard times in getting from my K-5 the same (fantastic) colors the K-10 was used to deliver.

This is apparenlty non affected by using either Camera raw or Pentax Photo Laboratory.

For the time being I'm using the selective color tool in Photoshop but that's not the solution.

No one elese is experiencing the same frustration ?

Someone found a way ?
Any suggestion ?

07-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I don't really like the colors from the K-7 too. The K10 had a CCD sensor, the 7 and the 5 have CMOS sensors and the colors look more "sterile" and not so vivid.

If anyone has an idea how to add some punch, I'd be glad to hear
07-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been pretty happy with playing with the Menus choices in obtaining more vivid colors in both the K20D and now my K5. It takes a little adjusting, but seems to work to my satisfaction.
Regards!
07-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
L&B
Inactive Account

Original Poster
At the very beginning I tried with these setting, just adjusting the reds:
Cyan -32%
magenta -7%
yellow +10%
black +7%

07-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #5

[langtitle=es]Sugerencia[/langtitle]

Hola, si tomas fotos en jpg es muy recomendable seguir las indicaciones de la revision hecha en profundidad aqui en el foro de la k5 y creo que tambien se puede aplicar a la k7, escoger el profile vibrant y seleccionar las variables que aconseja la revision, muy bonitos colores. Si usas lightroom lamentablemente cambia los colores

saludos cordiales
07-13-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
L&B
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Danielchef Quote
Hola, si tomas fotos en jpg es muy recomendable seguir las indicaciones de la revision hecha en profundidad aqui en el foro de la k5 y creo que tambien se puede aplicar a la k7, escoger el profile vibrant y seleccionar las variables que aconseja la revision, muy bonitos colores. Si usas lightroom lamentablemente cambia los colores

saludos cordiales
The point is that I noticed that in the raw file.
And from it I'm not able to get the same excellent resutls I was used to get from K10.
Like it would be a sort of cast.
07-13-2011, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by L&B Quote
The point is that I noticed that in the raw file.
And from it I'm not able to get the same excellent resutls I was used to get from K10.
Like it would be a sort of cast.
The first thing I'd check would be under the camera profile tab and make sure the K-5 is set to "embedded".
Apparently ACR doesn't pick-up on the K-5 RAW files and this can throw things off.

The second thing I'd do in the quest for legacy colors are a few tweaks to the clarity, vibrance and saturation sliders.
Though I myself prefer to hold-off on saturating colors beyond the natural threshold, these are more or less the settings I use to match the K10/200D file output.

And the results;

K10D

And the K-5

Hope this helps.

Last edited by JohnBee; 07-13-2011 at 08:21 AM.
07-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter

JohnBee, I like those K5 colors, appear more natural.

07-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
L&B
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
The first thing I'd check would be under the camera profile tab and make sure the K-5 is set to "embedded".
Apparently ACR doesn't pick-up on the K-5 RAW files and this can throw things off.
Thank for the tip that is getting me closer, but not there yet
About the camera profile I'm always in doubt whichone to use: "embedded" or "Adobe standard": what's your opinion ?
BTW no Pentax 1.00 profile available like for the previous versions and the K10 ?
07-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
embedded almost always looks better assuming you start with that before doing any editing (IMO)
07-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
L&B
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
embedded almost always looks better assuming you start with that before doing any editing (IMO)
Could you explain me what's the real difference between the "Embedded" and the "Adobe Standard" one ?

Last edited by L&B; 07-13-2011 at 10:27 AM.
07-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I also found the colours a bit muted or flat on both the K-r and the K5 compared to my K10 and to make things worse I regularly use a Tamron 28-200 lens which compared to a18-55 kit lens on any of the three bodies also tends to mute colours.
What I bought at a show having had it demonstrated using my camera was a colour checker from xrite which makes a great job of creating a accurate colour profile for each camera in each circumstance and seems to my eye to fix the problem.
I have as part of our framing business to photograph art work for the making of signed prints and the colours have to be spot on and with this passport thing it is faultless. Not cheap but it works.
I have link I found to a test here.
you have to shoot raw or convert to dng and use acr or lightroom for this to work I should point out.
X-rite ColorChecker Passport card - Review
07-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #13
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

My experience so far is that shooting RAW has provided me with lots of colour and contrast from the *ist D right through to the K-5. The difference with the K-5 from say the K10D is particularly from an overemphasis in the magentas, but has a much better rendition under tungsten lighting. Nevertheless these subtleties are readily rectified in ACR, and on the camera, I shift the WB slightly towards the green bias for a more natural effect. ACR's default setting still gets it wildly wrong at times so I still need to adjust the sliders but I can get the results I desire with minimal fuss with a few seconds of adjustments.
07-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
What I bought at a show having had it demonstrated using my camera was a colour checker ... Not cheap but it works.
I too used to use to use ColorChecker cards but I have since switched to digitalimageflow's Digital Kolor Kard's which are something like 7 dollars ea.
Same results, but way more affordable to use and own

PS
. the Kolor Kard's also come with software, but I still use my old software.

Having said that, I've found most scenes other than outdoor ones rarely need calibration beyond that of WB.
07-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #15
L&B
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
I also found the colours a bit muted or flat on both the K-r and the K5 compared to my K10 and to make things worse I regularly use a Tamron 28-200 lens which compared to a18-55 kit lens on any of the three bodies also tends to mute colours.
What I bought at a show having had it demonstrated using my camera was a colour checker from xrite which makes a great job of creating a accurate colour profile for each camera in each circumstance and seems to my eye to fix the problem.
I have as part of our framing business to photograph art work for the making of signed prints and the colours have to be spot on and with this passport thing it is faultless. Not cheap but it works.
I have link I found to a test here.
you have to shoot raw or convert to dng and use acr or lightroom for this to work I should point out.
X-rite ColorChecker Passport card - Review
Can your k5 profile work also for mine ?
If yes could you send it to me please ?

Last edited by L&B; 07-14-2011 at 07:40 AM.