07-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #1

SD Card problems

I have a K5 and am using a Sandisk extreme SD 8 gb card. I bought a sd card
reader and the brand name is GGI gear. The problem I have is that when I
insert the card reader in my computer I often have the computer say you
need to format this card, I eject the card and try and after a few times
it works correctly. Tonight I tried to install the new firmware and formated
the card in my camera and inserted it in the computer and it would not work
at all. The card will record photos ok but this is annoying. Do you think my card is
bad or should I get a better card reader. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Jim Olson

07-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Possibly the Card

I can't say for sure but a year ago I bought a new card and some strange things were happening with my K20. I ended up losing a lot of shots. I went back to where I got it and exchanged it for a much more expensive higher end card. With the new card I have never experienced any problems with the K20 and I've now transferred it to the K-5. One tip I've followed is to use the format command on the camera rather than delete all images.
07-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is the card reader a SD or a SDHC reader? If it's a SD and your card is a SDHC, it will not work. BTW: is the computer saying you need to format the card, or asking if you want to?
07-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Is the card reader a SD or a SDHC reader? If it's a SD and your card is a SDHC, it will not work. BTW: is the computer saying you need to format the card, or asking if you want to?
B&H is offering an inexpensive (USD $9.95) GGI reader that's identified as SD/SDHC. Not sure if this is the one. Can you confirm the reader model and/or its age? It's been a long time since a serious reader manufacturer made an SD-only reader.

Another reason I stay away from the $1.99 specials - I don't need a reader corrupting images. All my active readers are Sandisk MicroMate. Pricey (!) but they don't keep me awake at night.

07-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #5

Original Poster
The computer is saying I need to format the card

JIm Olson
07-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #6

Original Poster
The GGI card reader you mentioned is the one I bought from B&H when I got my camera. I think I will get another card and try the micromate reader

Jim Olson
07-16-2011, 06:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It does sound like a card issue.... but where do you have the reader plugged into? If you have it plugged into a USB hub or peripheral, try plugging it into one of the computer's USB ports, preferably in the rear of the machine (closer to the mother board).

If you ignore the format prompt, will it let you read the card in Explorer? What version of Windows are you using? Win 7 has no dificulties reading SDHC cards, but Vista needs updates to do so.

07-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Olson Quote
The GGI card reader you mentioned is the one I bought from B&H when I got my camera. I think I will get another card and try the micromate reader

Jim Olson
I was not suggesting that a USD $10 reader from B&H would be troublesome. My post was intended to show that the reader is made for SD and SDHC cards so the reader's SDHC capability is not the problem.

I think I'd hold off buying a new reader until you've tried other avenues.

Last edited by glanglois; 07-16-2011 at 07:47 PM.
07-17-2011, 04:55 AM   #9

Original Poster
I have used only the ports on the computer where other devices work fine. If I ignore the
prompt it wont let me do anything

Jim