C.R.I.S. Work Order #: WO500594
Manufacturer Warranty

Process Hold 12/15/2011
In Repair 12/15/2011
Parts Hold 12/19/2011
Parts Hold Back Order 12/22/2011

The part for your K-5 had to ordered from the
manufacturer overseas, we have no ETA on the part
at this time -- usual repair time is 15-20 working days ( 3-4 weeks )

it's been a month and still the parts have not arrived.......

01-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #332
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Exactly why I have yet to send my camera for repair.
01-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #333

I have been DYING to buy a K-5 for the better part of a year but just can't bring myself to pull the trigger in the face of such high failure rates and generally poor customer service. How does one spend $1K+ on a camera body that is basically guaranteed to need repair, possibly multiple times and for weeks on end? Very sad indeed.
01-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #334
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I have good news for my K-R. I sent it in for repair due to the mirror flop issue. Pentax received it last Wed, 1-11-12. I received it back yesterday on 1-18-12. Only one week. I'm impressed. They replaced the aparature control unit, checked my lenses, and upgraded the firmware. So far, it works great! Other than the $25 to ship it back to them (had to buy insurance), I'm impressed with the turn around time. Thanks Pentax.

02-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #335
Forum Member

Went to CR Kennedy in South Yarra Today to pick up my K-5 from warranty repair and was told they could not repair it!
They simply handed me a New body, got to be happy with that!
02-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #336
Veteran Member

Don't worry, be happy...

QuoteOriginally posted by Engi_Nerd Quote
I have been DYING to buy a K-5 for the better part of a year but just can't bring myself to pull the trigger in the face of such high failure rates and generally poor customer service. How does one spend $1K+ on a camera body that is basically guaranteed to need repair, possibly multiple times and for weeks on end? Very sad indeed.
I am guessing that the general consensus is that most (by far) K-5's are fine. Also, customer service in the USA generally receives high marks. No need to be so sad IMHO unless you can't purchase from an authorized dealer, and/or live outside the USA.
02-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #337
Veteran Member

You are spending too much time on this forum, LOL. The vast majority of K-5's are problem free. "Bascially guaranteed repair" is pure hyperbole. Some people on this forum are pretty vocal and stay mad at Pentax even though Pentax have figured this problem out and fix it under warranty should it occur. You need to scratch beneath the surface a bit and make your own judgement on the likelihood of occurance and severity of impact if it does happen. The new reports of these kind of problems have slowed to a trickle now.....

02-13-2012, 04:51 AM   #338
Forum Member

Agreed about too much time on this forum. It is a great resource but it also collects all of the problem camera reports and distorts the numbers. All Internet forums do that. I had the same questions about reliability but I took people' advice and just jumped in and bought mine last Fall and no problems at all so far. I am very glad I got my K-5 - nothing for me to be sad about.
02-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #339

Hi, just to add my own personal experience since buying a K-5 in January 2011 and a subsequent all-out bout of LBA.
Camera in for repair 3 times: sensor stains, severe back focusing and mirror flops (plus electronic level off).
DA* 16-50: SDM failure.
That's 4 shipments to Pentax in one year. All under warranty and the service quality was always good (Pentax should, however, provide shipping labels for each warranty repair).
I invested a lot into the Pentax system over the last year and generally am very happy with the offering. I still think that QC is an issue, irrespective of whether other brands have issues as well.
02-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #340

QuoteOriginally posted by JimDickinson Quote
Agreed about too much time on this forum. It is a great resource but it also collects all of the problem camera reports and distorts the numbers. All Internet forums do that. I had the same questions about reliability but I took people' advice and just jumped in and bought mine last Fall and no problems at all so far. I am very glad I got my K-5 - nothing for me to be sad about.

I totally agree...most people don't post on forums just to say "everything is working great!". You normally just hear of the problems.
02-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #341
Veteran Member

Where...

QuoteOriginally posted by eifel Quote
Hi, just to add my own personal experience since buying a K-5 in January 2011 and a subsequent all-out bout of LBA.
Camera in for repair 3 times: sensor stains, severe back focusing and mirror flops (plus electronic level off).
DA* 16-50: SDM failure.
That's 4 shipments to Pentax in one year. All under warranty and the service quality was always good (Pentax should, however, provide shipping labels for each warranty repair).
I invested a lot into the Pentax system over the last year and generally am very happy with the offering. I still think that QC is an issue, irrespective of whether other brands have issues as well.
Where did you get your stuff?
02-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #342

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Where did you get your stuff?
Adorama and B&H; Pentax replaced the K-5 with the stains, which then had the back focus and the mirror flops. I highly recommend Adorama and esp. B&H, they are very reputable and with great customer service.
Also, i just remember that the first copy I got from the DA* 50-135 had a fairly large lint piece trapped behind the back element. B&H replaced it with shipping labels and fast turn around. And, a DA 100 Macro had a focus ring that didn't turn smoothly. Adorama replaced that one. I think the ball clearly is in Pentax' court to avoid these type of things. The last two issues with the lenses were obvious upon unpacking of the lenses, they should have been caught in the final inspection by the manufacturer. The replacement lenses were fine.
I really don't want to get into Pentax bashing, I like the camera and the lenses and the overall system.

Last edited by eifel; 02-13-2012 at 11:54 AM.
02-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #343
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eifel Quote
Adorama and B&H; Pentax replaced the K-5 with the stains, which then had the back focus and the mirror flops. I highly recommend Adorama and esp. B&H, they are very reputable and with great customer service.
Also, i just remember that the first copy I got from the DA* 50-135 had a fairly large lint piece trapped behind the back element. B&H replaced it with shipping labels and fast turn around. And, a DA 100 Macro had a focus ring that didn't turn smoothly. Adorama replaced that one. I think the ball clearly is in Pentax' court to avoid these type of things. The last two issues with the lenses were obvious upon unpacking of the lenses, they should have been caught in the final inspection by the manufacturer. The replacement lenses were fine.
I really don't want to get into Pentax bashing, I like the camera and the lenses and the overall system.
Good that you have gotten everything straightened out. Certainly does seem like a lot of hassle for one person to experience. Best of luck on your next purchases.
02-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #344

Photos: Gallery

On top of what others have already said, I expect QC and service will improve under Ricoh's stewardship. Ricoh seems to want to play with the big boys and those are two areas that could use some TLC if that's going to happen. I think this is probably a great time (or shortly after the new model is announced) to buy a K5.
02-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #345
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveXT Quote
Went to CR Kennedy in South Yarra Today to pick up my K-5 from warranty repair and was told they could not repair it!
They simply handed me a New body, got to be happy with that!
New replacement Camera is now suffering the same issues, it seem this issue is wide spread!
BTW the serial number for this K-5 replacement is 3895681.
Does anyone know if this is old stock?

Dave