Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #106
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Buffalo/Rochester, NY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,133
That K-r video honestly made me sick... Have had my K5 for a couple of months, a little over 4600 shutter actuations as of today and always shoot big gigs on full batteries. So far I thankfully have not had this issue come up. Both my K5 batteries are Pentax, series 201101.

My concern is whether this issue is in fact caused by usage or caused by time, as I put my cameras to heavy use on a regular basis. Am I looking at possible failure in a few months' time or within a few hundred shutter actuations? Philosophical question of course considering neither answer would make me feel better :-(

Ugh...

07-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #107
Veteran Member
lammie200's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,028
QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote
Am I looking at possible failure in a few months' time or within a few hundred shutter actuations?
I have been told that the original poster started experiencing the flopping at about 6800 shutter activations. It would be interesting to know how many you have now since you haven't experienced flopping thus far. I am not close to that number yet.
07-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #108
Site Supporter
rvannatta's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Apiary, Oregon
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,171
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I have been told that the original poster started experiencing the flopping at about 6800 shutter activations. It would be interesting to know how many you have now since you haven't experienced flopping thus far. I am not close to that number yet.
My k5 is in the shop now I got it in early February and used it a bunch, but I must confess that I don't know how to make it tell how many clicks it has---but don't have it now to check anyway, but would like to know how to retrieve that information.
07-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,998
QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
My k5 is in the shop now I got it in early February and used it a bunch, but I must confess that I don't know how to make it tell how many clicks it has---but don't have it now to check anyway, but would like to know how to retrieve that information.
You do not have to have it. Just take one of your last images and run it through photome and look for the field shutter count. That will tell you. The easy way is to type "shutter count" in the the find box down at the bottom, and it will search through all the fields and find it for you...

Photome is a free down load from http://www.photome.de/



07-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #110
Veteran Member
macTak's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 759
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I have been told that the original poster started experiencing the flopping at about 6800 shutter activations. It would be interesting to know how many you have now since you haven't experienced flopping thus far. I am not close to that number yet.
No flopping here and I'm just around 10000 shutter actuations. I'll also add that I've only charged the battery a few time (5 or so).
07-24-2011, 07:45 AM   #111
Senior Member
Jim Radcliffe's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
No flopping here and I'm just around 10000 shutter actuations. I'll also add that I've only charged the battery a few time (5 or so).
10,000 shutter actuations and you've only charged the battery 5 times? I need to get one of those batteries!
07-24-2011, 07:50 AM   #112
Senior Member
Jim Radcliffe's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote
That K-r video honestly made me sick... Have had my K5 for a couple of months, a little over 4600 shutter actuations as of today and always shoot big gigs on full batteries. So far I thankfully have not had this issue come up. Both my K5 batteries are Pentax, series 201101.

My concern is whether this issue is in fact caused by usage or caused by time, as I put my cameras to heavy use on a regular basis. Am I looking at possible failure in a few months' time or within a few hundred shutter actuations? Philosophical question of course considering neither answer would make me feel better :-(

Ugh...
George, I feel your pain. I bought the K5 because I also do concert work and had become disenchanted with my Canon 5D MKII. (Weight, bulk, etc.) but more importantly I always have a camera with me wherever I go. The K5 is currently that camera.

This issue is very irritating almost as irritating as Pentax' silence on the matter.
07-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #113
Site Supporter
rvannatta's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Apiary, Oregon
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,171
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
You do not have to have it. Just take one of your last images and run it through photome and look for the field shutter count. That will tell you. The easy way is to type "shutter count" in the the find box down at the bottom, and it will search through all the fields and find it for you...

Photome is a free down load from PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor

thanks. that software reports just over 1000 shutter clicks. and provides the date of manufacture as 12/9/2010. It's out of the first batch made after they fixed the staining issue around thanksgiving. It's in the data base with a serial number beginning with 392. There have been few staining complaints post 391.

07-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #114
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
This issue is very irritating almost as irritating as Pentax' silence on the matter.
Jim, I've seen you say this a couple of times, but I expect the chance of Pentax making an official announcement is close to zero. It's not the Pentax way, and culturally the Japanese don't do public Mea Cupa's like Western companies. Eg, Pentax have form with the SDM issues, that and not the sensor stain issue seems to be how this mirror flopping problem is going to be treated.

It takes very large failure rates such as the sensor stain (which seemed 80%+) for them to come out publically.

However just because they aren't publically apologising over the issue this doesn't mean they aren't quietly working on a fix and will continue to address faulty camera's under warranty.

Last edited by twitch; 07-24-2011 at 04:57 PM.
07-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #115
Site Supporter
rvannatta's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Apiary, Oregon
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,171
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
However just because they aren't publically apologising over the issue this doesn't mean they aren't quietly working on a fix and will continue to address faulty camera's under warranty.
I hope you are right as mine is in Arizona now.
07-24-2011, 05:04 PM - 2 Likes   #116
Senior Member
Jim Radcliffe's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Jim, I've seen you say this a couple of times, but I expect the chance of Pentax making an official announcement is close to zero. It's not the Pentax way, and culturally the Japanese aren't keen on public Mea Cupa's like Western companies. Eg, Pentax have form with the SDM issues, that issue and not the sensor stain issue seems to be how this mirror flopping issue is going to be treated.

It takes very large failure rates such as the sensor stain (which seemed 80%+) for them to come out publically.

However just because they aren't publically apologising over the issue this doesn't mean they aren't quietly working on a fix and will continue to address faulty camera's under warranty.
I don't want an apology.. I want an acknowledgement that they are aware of the problem. Those are really two different things. Just let anyone experiencing this issue know that they are aware of it and know how to fix it. Japanese or not.. it is the proper thing to do. They don't deserve any slack because they are Japanese and have a cultural issue with admitting a problem.

Having been a Canon user for over 10 years I am well aware of the Japanese mentality when it comes to admitting mistakes, problem, saving face, Etc.

There are many people who have been put off with Pentax because of SDM issues, sensor stains and now mirror flops. The Japanese may not understand admitting a problem but they do understand lost sales and bad press. The quicker they make a corrective response (other than we've not heard of that) the better off they will be.

I love the K5. I think it is one of the best DSLRs I have ever owned but mine and the ones owned but others do have this issue and we, as owners and Pentax customers, who have paid very good money for this camera, deserve acknowledgment and a fix.

Last edited by Jim Radcliffe; 07-24-2011 at 05:12 PM.
07-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #117
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 19
Contact number for CRIS?

Does anybody have a direct number for the CRIS repair team?

I have called Pentax Service number (800-877-0155) a few times but I keep getting people who can't tell what or if anything is being done to resolve this issue. They still tell me they haven't heard of the problem yet.

I just want to know if this has been established as an existing problem and if there is a part replacement that is fixing it. I don't want to send my K-5 in and have the repair folks not be able to reproduce the malfunction, then send it back unaltered.
07-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #118
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 573
QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote

There are many people who have been put off with Pentax because of SDM issues, sensor stains and now mirror flops. The Japanese may not understand admitting a problem but they do understand lost sales and bad press. The quicker they make a corrective response (other than we've not heard of that) the better off they will be.
As Sony and Toyota have learned, hopefully Pentax will one day too. I was struck by the contrast between the silence from Pentax with how up front Nikon is. I was on the Nikon Professional services website. Right on the front page there is a section for service advisories.
07-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #119
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eastern Oregon
Posts: 604
QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
I don't want an apology.. I want an acknowledgement that they are aware of the problem. Those are really two different things. Just let anyone experiencing this issue know that they are aware of it and know how to fix it. Japanese or not.. it is the proper thing to do. They don't deserve any slack because they are Japanese and have a cultural issue with admitting a problem.

Having been a Canon user for over 10 years I am well aware of the Japanese mentality when it comes to admitting mistakes, problem, saving face, Etc.

There are many people who have been put off with Pentax because of SDM issues, sensor stains and now mirror flops. The Japanese may not understand admitting a problem but they do understand lost sales and bad press. The quicker they make a corrective response (other than we've not heard of that) the better off they will be.

I love the K5. I think it is one of the best DSLRs I have ever owned but mine and the ones owned but others do have this issue and we, as owners and Pentax customers, who have paid very good money for this camera, deserve acknowledgment and a fix.

JIm, have you sent yours in?

I bet you get an acknowledgement if you do...

They are not going to do anything publicly unless 80% come back. But they will work with you if you send it in.

And they are never going to acknowledge an individual problem without inspecting that persons individual camera.

So unless 80% start showing up at Pentax, (which is impossible if people don't send them in,) or you send yours in, you're never going to get what you want...

Just sayin'
07-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #120
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eastern Oregon
Posts: 604
QuoteOriginally posted by kmarceau Quote
Does anybody have a direct number for the CRIS repair team?

I have called Pentax Service number (800-877-0155) a few times but I keep getting people who can't tell what or if anything is being done to resolve this issue. They still tell me they haven't heard of the problem yet.

I just want to know if this has been established as an existing problem and if there is a part replacement that is fixing it. I don't want to send my K-5 in and have the repair folks not be able to reproduce the malfunction, then send it back unaltered.
If you don't send it in, how are they going to figure it out?

Complaining about them not doing anything by someone who isn't doing anything is a catch 22 of the worst kind...

Send it in, if they don't fix it, get them to cover the postage until it's fixed. Fair enough.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
batteries, battery, button, camera, card, dslr, frames, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, mirror, pentax k-5, pics, post, shutter, voltage
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Night Smoking mischivo Post Your Photos! 8 07-07-2010 12:59 PM
If you found a gun on the street Gooshin General Talk 68 02-16-2010 06:52 AM
"This is not a smoking gun; this is a mushroom cloud," Russell-Evans General Talk 53 11-23-2009 03:38 PM
Crack smoking must be fun. Steve Beswick Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 11-04-2009 11:34 AM
How to quit smoking.... MJB DIGITAL Pentax Film SLR Discussion 70 10-30-2009 05:29 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top