Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #256
Inactive Account

Adoro a pentax k5, a minha começou a dar problemas, sim mais de um, a partir de 25000 fotos.(agora com 29000 e muitas porradas na lateral para destravar) Estarei enviando para os EUA (moro no Brasil) para a BH me trocar a camera ou arrumar esta, foi comprada em 15/12/10.
Agora o problema: uma nova aqui no Brasil custa em torno de U$ 3800,00. As taxas para eu receber a camera enviada da garantia pelo correio fica em U$ 970,00 (TAX e VAT).
Alguem está vindo ao Brasil para me trazer uma camera nova?? adoro a K5 e não vou desanimar da Pentax por isso.
Moro em São Paulo.

09-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #257
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I got my replaced body 2 hours before my flight to west canada /US ser # 401xxx after 600 frames in yellowstone the mirror start flipping and could not take a picture until i took the sd out .i am waiting to see if sw will be released
09-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #258
Veteran Member

For those in the USA:

The Pentax extended two year warranty so you have a total of 3 years seems to be a secret. The warranty retail price is $100 (or was) during the K20D days and was given free by Samsung and Pentax for buying their top of the line dSLRs (K20D, GX20). I bought my K20D long ago over two years ago but still have a warranty and free tune up to use until late February 2012. This warranty is almost hidden by B&H! Although they do give it for $20. Call Pentax they may give you the warranty for free on the K-5. That warranty is all you need; you don't need a mack warranty or any other unless it covers you dropping the camera! There seems to be a game played with Pentax warranties, a shame really as it makes folks think the warranty cost too much. And the warranty is a must have on any dSLR these days.

I just had warranty service done to my K20D a few months ago for a rear edial that was acting up a bit. At nearly 50,000 pics this means that dial has been turned over 200,000 times and I don't fault Pentax QC for the failure of it, or see it as a black mark against Pentax. Because I turn that dial almost daily! During the warranty process C.R.I.S Cameras of Arizona under contract with Pentax brings the whole dSLR up to factory spec. So I had some cleaning and parts replaced. Also my auto focus was off and had to be tuned. That was news to me as I had no AF problem. But alas I did. Now my kit DA18-55mm WR performs much better, good enough just to leave on the K20D as a daily lens. I also own the Sigma 17-70mm but just keep the kit lens on. All my lens could now (after tuning) be set to AF tuning "0" - except the DA55-300mm (it needs +5 for perfection). Now whats funny is that lens needed no corrections in fine tuning before. So go figure from day one the auto-focus of my K20D was never really perfect. It was good enough and I could tune it to be perfect with all but one lens the kit lens. So I use to just use the Sigma lens the most.

Here is the real payoff. Come winter 2012 around the end of February when my warranty is about to expire I will send in my K20D for its free check up during the two year extended warranty period. This will insure that from that point on all is OK with my K20D. And again this would cost a decent chunk of change or really makes the extended warranty almost free (if you paid for it). Because it would cost you to have it checked up!

Anyone buying a dSLR for enthusiast use and who plans on keeping it awhile needs to buy the warranty, it really is a must have!

My main point is, that one simple repair of my rear edial being replaced, the bottom cover and seals replaced, the aperture unit was cleaned, and auto focus tuned would have cost a nice chunk of change (over $300).

And thats for a dSLR thats over two years old and has 50,000 pics on it. However my K20D looks like new and performs better than new now, and thats with 50,000 shutter activations; and I still have almost 6 months of warranty. Three years of warranty is a long time.
09-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #259
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just bought 2 year extended warranty for $19.95

I just ordered the 2 year extended warranty for the K5 from Adorama for $19.95. At no point in the process was I required to enter the date of purchase of my camera or the model... Email receipt showed up in about one minute in my mailbox... below is from the receipt.

Pentax 2 Year Extended Warranty for K5, KX and KR Digital SLR Camera (Total Warranty 3 years - 1 Year Standard + 2 Years Additional) $19.95

09-07-2011, 05:45 AM   #260
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcp5 Quote
Some people say Pentax will honor it if purchased before 1st year warranty expires but you would have to live chat with Pentax to confirm that to be sure. (B&H says 90 days after purchase)
Well, better to spend the $20 and have a shot than not. thaks for the info.
09-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #261

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
Well, better to spend the $20 and have a shot than not. thaks for the info.
I also placed an order for the warranty, along with some other stuff. Nothing came up on when I purchased my camera or where. Seems like a good bet.

Wayne
09-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #262
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi everyone

Please tell if this is "mirror flop" or not! ...

Today, for the very first time, I encountered a problem with my K5 as follows:

I press the shutter button and then ... the mirror actually moves up but does not come down at all. It doesn't "flop" but stays up. I had to shut the camera off for the mirror to come down.
I start the camera again ... same thing.
I remove the battery (OEM) from the camera .... reinsert it, try a few shots: now works. (for how long? I have no idea).

Here are the specifics as to try to explain the surrounding "circumstances":

Camera shutter count is 15,245. (Bought new December 28th 2010 - still under warranty)
Batteries (camera and grip) were fully charged a couple of days ago; I took roughly 65 photos with that charge until the problem surfaced today. It still shows fully charged, according to the top LCD panel of the camera.
Just before the mirror situation happened, I took 3 short series in AF-C (Hi burst rate) of about 5-6 pictures each, then the next press of the shutter button caused the problem again and again.
Temperature outside: 21C. Sunny, mild wind with absolutely no humidity.

So my question is: is this "mirror flop"? Or could this be something totally different?

I will be looking forward to receiving any reply before I decide to send the K5 to Pentax. I need this camera vs. my K7 for obvious reasons.

Thanks to all in advance.

Cheers!

JP

Edit: I wonder if it would make any difference if set the power from the battery grip first ? Right now, it is set for camera/grip.

Last edited by jpzk; 09-08-2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: added comment
09-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #263
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by henriqueperon Quote
Adoro a pentax k5, a minha começou a dar problemas, sim mais de um, a partir de 25000 fotos.(agora com 29000 e muitas porradas na lateral para destravar) Estarei enviando para os EUA (moro no Brasil) para a BH me trocar a camera ou arrumar esta, foi comprada em 15/12/10.
Agora o problema: uma nova aqui no Brasil custa em torno de U$ 3800,00. As taxas para eu receber a camera enviada da garantia pelo correio fica em U$ 970,00 (TAX e VAT).
Alguem está vindo ao Brasil para me trazer uma camera nova?? adoro a K5 e não vou desanimar da Pentax por isso.
Moro em São Paulo.
That would be a good deal: you pay the plane ticket ... I get the K5 for you at a good price here in Canada??? How's that?

Seriously though: I never thought this would be so very expensive where you are!

Cheers.

JP
09-09-2011, 06:53 AM   #264

JP, this is not the problem I had. My mirror would flop up and down rapidly when ever I did anything, press the shutter release, change a setting, anything. It would happen 4 or 5 times in a row and appear to be related to heat. At the same time the top panel would go blank.

The camera was hot and would not work again until it cooled off. Even after that, it sometimes did it, as though something had changed inside after the flopping occurred. I am not sure that something did not slip in the camera, such as a gear on a shaft that was not assembled correctly. CRIS also found dust under my LCD and cleaned it, indicating that it was also not assembled correctly. The camera only had a few hundred shots on it, certainly less than a thousand when this happened.

Wayne
09-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by toooldtocare Quote
JP, this is not the problem I had. My mirror would flop up and down rapidly when ever I did anything, press the shutter release, change a setting, anything. It would happen 4 or 5 times in a row and appear to be related to heat. At the same time the top panel would go blank.

The camera was hot and would not work again until it cooled off. Even after that, it sometimes did it, as though something had changed inside after the flopping occurred. I am not sure that something did not slip in the camera, such as a gear on a shaft that was not assembled correctly. CRIS also found dust under my LCD and cleaned it, indicating that it was also not assembled correctly. The camera only had a few hundred shots on it, certainly less than a thousand when this happened.

Wayne
Evidently, this is different from my K5 "flipping" instead of yours "flopping"!

I wish someone would come up with some answer(s) as to what I am dealing with.

Hopefully, we all can get our cameras fixed.

Cheers.

JP
09-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #266

Does anybody know how long takes for Pentax Canada to fix the K-5?
My K-5 is with a Japanese warranty but I'm in Canada, just want to decide where to send it for warranty repair?
Cheers!
09-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #267
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by toooldtocare Quote

Wayne
Sure doesn't look like the mirror flop after all!

I posted a new thread about the "mirror stuck up" here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/158338-k5-mirror-stuck-up-flop.html and Jim Radcliffe answered that this could be a number of reasons, inlcuding mechanical and/or electronic.
I tested the camera again just a few minutes ago .... it behaved normally!

So, after this weekend, I plan to go out early tomorrow a.m., I will most likely send it out for checking/repair (if they can reproduce the problem) to Pentax.

Thanks for the reply.

JP
09-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #268
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by valcho Quote
Does anybody know how long takes for Pentax Canada to fix the K-5?
My K-5 is with a Japanese warranty but I'm in Canada, just want to decide where to send it for warranty repair?
Cheers!
I don't know about the K5 but I had sent my K20D a "while" ago .... two years ago ... and it took all of three weeks from the time I sent it to Pentax Canada (Mississauga, Ontario) and back to me.

I would assume it would take at least this long for the K5.

I shall soon see as I am going to send mine (K5) next week for a "stuck up" intermittent problem.

JP
09-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #269

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I don't know about the K5 but I had sent my K20D a "while" ago .... two years ago ... and it took all of three weeks from the time I sent it to Pentax Canada (Mississauga, Ontario) and back to me.

I would assume it would take at least this long for the K5.

I shall soon see as I am going to send mine (K5) next week for a "stuck up" intermittent problem.

JP
Thanks! At http://pentax.ca/en/support/Repair_Return_Form.pdf I found:
Please allow approximately 4 weeks repair time, plus shipping time.
09-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #270
Veteran Member

I got a call from the camera store saying my camera is back from pentax. About 5weeks. I'll let you know if it mentions what was fixed or replaced.