Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #286
wax
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Paying attention to what happends on the camera just seconds before mirror star flopping, I discovered that focus confirmation on non Pentax Lenses, specially those for PK/Ricoh mounts, stars the mirror strange behavior. Maybe its a problem of the focal lenght not precisely equal between Pentax lenses(45.46mm) and others similar but not equal ones(45.5mm). This diference I guess produce a the problem. I think the firmware must be fixed to let the camera work despite not mounting lens with diferent focal lenght or let users turn of focus confirmation.

10-03-2011, 02:05 AM   #287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wax Quote
Paying attention to what happends on the camera just seconds before mirror star flopping, I discovered that focus confirmation on non Pentax Lenses, specially those for PK/Ricoh mounts, stars the mirror strange behavior. Maybe its a problem of the focal lenght not precisely equal between Pentax lenses(45.46mm) and others similar but not equal ones(45.5mm). This diference I guess produce a the problem. I think the firmware must be fixed to let the camera work despite not mounting lens with diferent focal lenght or let users turn of focus confirmation.
Hi
I do not think so, your scenario is purely coincidental. This is the problem trying to identify a cause when a fault appears randomly and intermittently. I had the mirror flops in July and the first time it happened I had the PENTAX 60-250 up front. It is now fairly well established that a faulty component of the main board is the culprit. In my case the main board got replaced.

Greetings
10-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #288
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wax Quote
while I have since set my in for a successful warranty repair, I don't use non-Pentax lenses.
10-20-2011, 04:38 AM   #289
Forum Member

This is the issue that is still making me hesitate to get my K-5, along with the sensor stains. Does anyone know if the later production units are any less likely to have these problems, or is it just the luck of the draw? I read a reference to a production time range on the sensor stains, but I never found the bounds on that.

My dealer is getting a body in today for me to check out and I am still not sure if I will buy it or not.

10-20-2011, 05:00 AM   #290
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jim:

For goodness sake, stop hanging around this thread, buy that K-5 and take photographs! You'll be fine!

While threads like this are extremely helpful in understanding the problem and bringing a light to the issue, it also hinders by wrongly creating the impression that the K-5 will certainly have shutter flap the second you get it home. You have to remember that for everyone who cites the issue here, there are thousands of users with no issue. Go check out the camera, see if you like it, and enjoy your hobby.
10-20-2011, 05:32 AM   #291
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Jim:

For goodness sake, stop hanging around this thread, buy that K-5 and take photographs! You'll be fine!

While threads like this are extremely helpful in understanding the problem and bringing a light to the issue, it also hinders by wrongly creating the impression that the K-5 will certainly have shutter flap the second you get it home. You have to remember that for everyone who cites the issue here, there are thousands of users with no issue. Go check out the camera, see if you like it, and enjoy your hobby.
Thanks germar - you are right - I will probably buy my K-5 today if I like it as much as I think I will. Even more likely if the sales guy is smart enough to have a 16-50mm lens there too - which is what I think I will start out with for a walk around lens - and which was his suggestion too.

So I am looking at over $2 k for my "starter" DSLR and I am just being a bit timid. Something that my wife says I never am when it comes to cool technology!
10-20-2011, 06:10 AM   #292

Photos: Albums
You will not regret it. My first unit had sensor stain, as i was an early adopter. But, after using the camera before finding this out, i wanted it fixed because i intended to keep the camera, its that good.

10-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #293

Jim, I never advise someone to buy something because as soon as I do they will have problems or they may not be happy. So, I tell them of my experiences and let them make up their own mind. Yes, my camera was repaired by CRIS for mirror flops and dust under the LCD. Yes, the LCD faded to white one time.

But, would I buy it again, duh----YES. I love the size, quality of images, and the fact that I can use all my old lenses from my film Pentax(s). Everyone has to make up their own mind.

Wayne
10-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #294
Forum Member

Thanks Wayne - I really don't expect anyone to be able to tell me what I should do about getting a K-5. But when I hear from happy owners like you who would buy again, even with the issues, it is encouraging. I also have some old Pentax lenses and that is what started me looking at Pentax DSLRs in the first place. But as all of you already know this appears to be a really special camera. I guess I have concentrated on any possible QC issues with the K-5 because I just can't seem find anything else that doesn't say buy it - now!

I did not hear from my camera shop that they had gotten the K-5 body in today but hopefully they will tomorrow. I am guessing that I will love the K-5 and I am really eager to start shooting with it and spending a lot of time here on this forum.
10-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #295

My long anticipated, much loved and treasured k5 was purchased Nov. of 2010. In
Aug. it had it's first malfunction. It recovered within a 6 hour period after doing all the battery switch-a -roos and many anxious moments. Thirteen days later, another episode. On Sept 18th, we had our third stressful event.....It was mailed to Pentax Repair Center in Az. On Sept. 23 it entered into repair stages....with the promise of a 20 day turn around. Today I was told by a very nice young man, Matt, that maybe it would be back in my hands in 3 WEEKS! Ok, so 3 weeks is not what I wanted to hear.......I asked for a replacement camera. Matt had to tell me no. Now I have 13 lenses for sale, most Pentax, 2 sigma and a tamron, a Pentax battery grip, Oh, and a really cute lenbaby. With any luck, in 3 weeks I will have a 1-year old Pentax k-5 for sale.......what a shame.......it was such a good camera. Last Saturday I had to borrow Canon equipment for a wedding shoot. My new camera will be arriving tomorrow since I was willing to pay for overnight.

I feel your pain k-5 owners. Good luck. Pentax promised to have a new repair system n place by the first of the year.......
10-20-2011, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #296
Veteran Member

Not to be tendentious, but does anyone actually have any evidence that there are "thousands" of owners without issues for every one who has an issue? Even if true, it wouldn't be very persuasive. Not at this price, and not with these extremely long waits for repair. What if you have mirror flop, get it repaired, and then the shutter release button falls off? There's just too much crap that can, and too often does, go wrong with this camera. I might roll the dice and get one anyway, since the features for me are more appealing than the competition's -- but the feature differences are mostly a matter of convenience, and the worst inconvenience is simply not having a camera that I paid for actually in my hands because it's gone for repairs. Repeatedly, perhaps. Yes, the total expense for me would be greater with another brand, because I'd probably get some new glass for it -- but I could keep happily using my Pentax glass on my K-7. And some of the glass that I'd be using on the other brand I can also use on the K-7, when I feel the need for in-body stabilization.

This has been a helpful thread for me, because I was planning to get either a DA70 Ltd to use on my K-7, or a K-5 some time very soon. Now I'm leaning toward applying the money to a D7000 instead. Pentax will still be aound if I decide to come back to the fold in the future. Maybe the successor to the K-r will be appealing, or maybe the K-5's prices will come down enough for me to feel comfortable getting one, but for now the litany of quality issues is just too long for me to ignore and gamble on being one of those lucky "thousands."
10-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #297
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
Not to be tendentious, but does anyone actually have any evidence that there are "thousands" of owners without issues for every one who has an issue? Even if true, it wouldn't be very persuasive. Not at this price, and not with these extremely long waits for repair. What if you have mirror flop, get it repaired, and then the shutter release button falls off? There's just too much crap that can, and too often does, go wrong with this camera. I might roll the dice and get one anyway, since the features for me are more appealing than the competition's -- but the feature differences are mostly a matter of convenience, and the worst inconvenience is simply not having a camera that I paid for actually in my hands because it's gone for repairs. Repeatedly, perhaps. Yes, the total expense for me would be greater with another brand, because I'd probably get some new glass for it -- but I could keep happily using my Pentax glass on my K-7. And some of the glass that I'd be using on the other brand I can also use on the K-7, when I feel the need for in-body stabilization.

This has been a helpful thread for me, because I was planning to get either a DA70 Ltd to use on my K-7, or a K-5 some time very soon. Now I'm leaning toward applying the money to a D7000 instead. Pentax will still be aound if I decide to come back to the fold in the future. Maybe the successor to the K-r will be appealing, or maybe the K-5's prices will come down enough for me to feel comfortable getting one, but for now the litany of quality issues is just too long for me to ignore and gamble on being one of those lucky "thousands."
There seem to be problems with the D7000 also just like every electronic device do a simple search problems anything you want and there will be thousands of like threads with each item you search for so I hope you are one of the lucky ones to never have a problem.

Here is a link to Nikon forum sounds just like here
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=7709&mesg_id=7709.
10-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #298
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
The probability is that you could by a K-5, shoot 20,000 images a year for 5 years and not have any trouble at all. Many are doing just that.
No, they're not, for the simple reason that the K-5 hasn't been in existence for five years. I mean, come on, let's be real.
10-21-2011, 05:09 AM   #299
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
It sounds like we are in pretty much the same situation. I fully understand the effect that forums have on exaggerating the defects that even a small number of products might have. But some of these problems are very serious and indicate that at least in some cameras the QC is very deficient. What percentage of the K-5's are perfect and what percentage have issues and how many will eventually have problems when they get more shutter cycles on them? I doubt that there is any way to really know.

I would feel better about taking a chance on getting an issue free K-5 if the repair cycles were not so long - I have read numerous posts where people have gone without their camera for months, and sometimes on more than one occasion. That is the part that I can not get around, the fact that I might be knowingly buying a camera with potential issues - for some serious money - and then perhaps spend significant time without it. I know that other camera brands also have issues, but these extremely long repair waits are not typical from my experience. In most cases high end electronics products with significant defects are replaced by the manufacturer, but Pentax seems to think that we will be satisfied to just wait until they can get around to fixing their cameras.

I'm still on the fence on this one. I love the design and I would really like to own a K-5, but it appears to me at the very least to be a bit of a gamble at this point. Reading other threads makes it seem that any K-5 made after 5/2011 should be past the stains and mirror overrun problems. If my dealer gets a body built after that I might go ahead. Sorry to be trolling on these problem threads, but I really don't want to spend a lot on a camera that I love when it works, but which does not work consistently.

Last edited by JimDickinson; 10-21-2011 at 06:24 AM.
10-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #300
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
Here is a link to Nikon forum sounds just like here http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcbo...9&mesg_id=7709.
The last post on there is from when, last week? Last month? Last two months? Um, no... last April.