Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #301
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
shutter release button falls off?
"Lens release button" is what I meant to say!

10-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #302
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The last post on there is from when, last week? Last month? Last two months? Um, no... last April.
It was a example of how you can find complaints on any item and that there are people that run into problems with all makes not saying it was up to date.
10-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #303
Forum Member

Well, the shutter buttons don't fall off, but on some K-5s they malfunction and you can get two shutter activations for every press.

But any complex, high tech item currently made will have a certain number of issues. The first thing everyone does when comparison shopping is to evaluate the price versus features, and to be competitive all brands have to seek ways to hold down their costs, which inevitably results in a certain number of compromises. Since people that have a problem or complaint are more likely to post to vent or to seek advice, it is really difficult to tell how widespread the problems really are just from reading forums.

I have been back and forth on the K-5 mainly due to issues like these and Friday I was leaning to not getting one. But none of the competitive cameras on the market appeal to me nearly as much as the K-5, and I am pretty sure that I will be buying mine next Monday. I did decide to buy from a local camera shop that I have dealt with in the past rather than buy it online, just so I have them to fall back on if I have any problems. Hopefully I will get an issue free one and love it and shoot with it for many years. But if not I will have at least given it a chance and then I can sell it and move on.

Better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all!
10-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #304
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
It was a example of how you can find complaints on any item and that there are people that run into problems with all makes not saying it was up to date.
And all I'm saying is that many of the K-5 problems are still current, with new ones appearing, while the issues with the D7000, comparatively, seem to have eased quite a bit in the same period.

10-23-2011, 04:35 AM   #305
Veteran Member

And all I'm saying is that many of the K-5 problems are still current, with new ones appearing, while the issues with the D7000, comparatively, seem to have eased quite a bit in the same period.
You can look at first years runs of almost any item and there will be bugs went through the same thing with 2 motorcycles first year of the 2002 CBR954RR had problems and recalls also the 2004 ZX10 2 different companies 2 different first year products and it goes the same for cameras after they work the bugs out then the problems are a lot less frequent.
12-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #306
Forum Member

I am having this same exact problem with my 1 month old K-r. Do I need to send in for repair?
Thanks all.
12-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #307
Pentaxian

I think I may have had some flops last night.

I have had the camera since March with no problems. Last night I was taking several shots as I was playing with the focus compensation for a new lens.

Battery was full (although it was full a couple of days ago when I was taking some Christmas photos with no problems) and on one of the shots it fired off about photos after I pressed the button.

Hmmm.

12-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #308
Forum Member

I have narrowed it down to the Pentax SMC kit lenses. When I use the Tamron, all is fine. I cleaned the contacts on the camera body and the Pentax lenses without success. It will take about 1 or 2 pics before the mirror sticks half way opened. Burst shots sound like a machine gun, too bad it's not really as fast. Switching to live mode is comical as it just starts spazzing out.
12-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #309
Pentaxian

Interesting - I was using the 18-55 WR kit lens when mine started flopping about.

I'll report back if it happens with the 12-24, 50-135 or my FA50 1.4

It didn't do it today with the kit lens.
12-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #310
Forum Member

When I remove the Pentax lens and release the shutter, the camera resets and everything works fine. I can take burst shots with the lens off without any problems. No problems with the Tamron lens. As soon as the Pentax 18-55, or 50-200 go on - camera spasm.
12-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #311

Photos: Gallery
UPDATE>>>>>>>>>k5 was returned in November after being in repair center since September. DANG THING HAS BROKEN AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND GUESS WHAT? IT IS CHRISTMAS! However, I will use my CANON 5d! Honestly, this makes me sick! I love everything about the k-5, except that is BREAKS! And I have not been told I will receive a new one in it's place. ps..............it is the shutter button, AGAIN! Buyer BEWARE!
12-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #312

Okay, so Pentax says they can not replace my lemon because it arrived with a major scrape just below the LCD screen........this camera has been handled with kid gloves with not even a smudge. It was packaged well enough to ship an uncooked egg in its shell. Can some one please tell me what I should do now?
12-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #313
Veteran Member

Oh man I feel for you. This is shamefully poor treatment. If it were me, I would see two options. (1) Let them repair it under warranty and continue to shoot with it and hope for the best. But the constant uncertainty (fear of yet another failure) that this option brings is not attractive. (2) Let them repair it, then sell it for what you can get for it, then buy one of the unmentionables or put the money towards a new lens for your 5D, and never go near a Pentax again. It would be option 2 for me, even though I have been a loyal Pentax user for decades.

I guess there is a third option. Call the repair center, find out who the supervisor of the person who sent you the letter is, and dun him or her mercilessly each day until they agree to send you a replacement. Then sell the replacement and buy a brand that's better built.
12-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #314
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanadoo Quote
Okay, so Pentax says they can not replace my lemon because it arrived with a major scrape just below the LCD screen........this camera has been handled with kid gloves with not even a smudge. It was packaged well enough to ship an uncooked egg in its shell. Can some one please tell me what I should do now?
In the future, take photographs of the item right before sending it out to show its condition when it left your possession. If I were you I would escalate it up the management chain and speak with someone who's in a better position to work this out. All the best
12-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #315
Veteran Member

Interesting that they're using an alleged bit of cosmetic damage to the camera's casing to invalidate your entitlement to a replacement camera. Even if you had caused the external damage, it shouldn't matter. What, where they hoping to fob the defective camera off on someone else, and they're frustrated that the crappy unit ism't pretty enough to get away with that? Pretty sleazy.