Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
About to take the plunge.

Well after spending the past month reading about the K-5 in the forums I have finally decided to take the plunge and get one. I mostly shoot wildlife so I am looking for a little advice. I currently use a K20D and I have to say that it been fantastic in the weather resistance category, I have been caught in downpours more than once and my poor old K20 has gotten more than it's fair share of soakings, how does the K-5 compare can it take some abuse, or will I be running for cover as my friends with Canon and Nikon do now. How about cold? In the winter I like to shoot Eagles, the temperature is generally around -20C and colder with the wind chill. My K20 handled the cold without a whimper, will the K5 do the same.

I plan on getting the following
K-5 Body
D-BG4 Battery Grip
D-LI90 X 4
SanDisk - 16GB Extreme SDHC Memory Card X 2
Pentax O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe (My Eyes are getting a little old - This might help)

Should I get Anything else?

I currently have a 50-500 Sigma, and a 150-500 Sigma, plus a Sigma 1.4X Teleconverter. The 1.4X TC works just fine on the 50-500 (With a few slight Mods). Does anybody use the Sigma 2.0X TC on either of these lenses, How well does it work. My 50-500 with the 1.4X TC will still autofocus will the 2.0X TC do the same?

Thanks - Hope for some constructive feedback.

07-16-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K5 is just as weather sealed as the K20 and the K7 ...

Low temperatures to -20F or -29C

Last edited by interested_observer; 07-16-2011 at 07:52 AM.
07-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The K5 (as Interested Observer has just shown LOL) is just the latest in a long line of WR Pentax DSLRs - it will be no worse, and maybe even better, than it's predecessors in that regard.

You will need some protection for your lenses and the mount though.
07-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by TomS Quote
Well after spending the past month reading about the K-5 in the forums I have finally decided to take the plunge and get one. I mostly shoot wildlife so I am looking for a little advice. I currently use a K20D and I have to say that it been fantastic in the weather resistance category, I have been caught in downpours more than once and my poor old K20 has gotten more than it's fair share of soakings, how does the K-5 compare can it take some abuse, or will I be running for cover as my friends with Canon and Nikon do now. How about cold? In the winter I like to shoot Eagles, the temperature is generally around -20C and colder with the wind chill. My K20 handled the cold without a whimper, will the K5 do the same.

I plan on getting the following
K-5 Body
D-BG4 Battery Grip
D-LI90 X 4
SanDisk - 16GB Extreme SDHC Memory Card X 2
Pentax O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe (My Eyes are getting a little old - This might help)

Should I get Anything else?
Whenever I purchased my K7 (Jan 2010) I got it here

http://http://www.fumfie.com/product/568.5/14748_Pentax-K_5-Digital-SLR-Came...y_-_Black_K5-/

I see they have the K5 for $1119.00 incl S/H

They were good back then, and I just ordered the 55~300 DA ED (not AL) from them for $219.00 free S/H so I hope they are still reliable. I got the USA K7, and the K5 they showl is the USA model.

They will make a soft sell for accessories, just say no, they go away. I also did not have them put insurance on my order.

07-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow, that is a great price . Anyone else had any experience with fumfie? Are thie "new" k5 from an eariler batch that may contain the stain issues?
07-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Actually I'm not interested in best price, while I used to look around and try to get the best price possible I have found it just is not worth the trouble. Allow me to explain, last year I ordered approximately $7,000 worth of gear. The first order was to B&H, everything arrived within 1 week of ordering, everything was well packaged, and everything was as I ordered, and undamaged. 6 months later I place a similar order with Adorama, because they had better prices on a few of the things I wanted, What a mistake that was, the order was shipped incomplete, about a third of what I ordered was out of stock, they did ship accessory parts to some of the items that were out of stock but without the main item they were useless. Packaging was extremely poor, a 2 year old could have done a better job. Customer service was nonexistent and a total runaround, the biggest problem was that I ordered my Sigma 150-500 from them, they shipped a known defective lens to me that was under a recall notice from Sigma. It took almost 3 months to get it repaired by Sigma. This time I will place my order with B&H, that way I know I will get my equipment and that it will arrive safely. I am not trying to put a plug in here for B&H just trying to point out that some companies are worth dealing with, some are not.
07-16-2011, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't shoot in the rain.....ever, but I did leave my K20D on the patio table one night and it came a downpour before I remembered. No damage and it took a soaking.

The Bigma works better than ever on the K5...focuses much faster than on the K20D.

As for B&H...I've always received excellent service from them...but can also say the same of Adorama. You can hear these stories in reverse.....all of them have their good and bad days or situations. I would not hesitate to buy from either of them....and do...and will. Edge, though slight, goes to B&H...their phone salesmen do not rush you and are very helpful.

Best Regards & Enjoy the new K5, it is truly amazing!

Remember, it carries the Otis Guarantee.....no other camera in the world has that!

Right Otis....
[IMG] [/IMG]
07-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
The K5 (as Interested Observer has just shown LOL) is just the latest in a long line of WR Pentax DSLRs - it will be no worse, and maybe even better, than it's predecessors in that regard.

You will need some protection for your lenses and the mount though.
In the video clips of the K5, the DA* lens was used, which is also weather resistant. For full weather resistant protection, you will need either DA* or WR lenses. I do not believe that the Sigma lenses have any sealing - at least to the level of Pentax's DA* or WR lenses.

PS - Otis looks like he is hot, and would welcome some rain...

... also - Adorama has a customer representative here on the forum available to try to rectify problems like you experienced...

07-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

When I left out my K20D it had the 50-135 mounted...no damage to it either, but it was angled slightly down away from the mount.....I wouldn't trust the Bigma in the rain, but you could most likely figure a way to protect it fairly easily unless you were in a hurricane.

Yes,Otis was hot there but is cooling off today....at 2:45 pm here it is only 105F! After a few days of 112F+ it seems like sweater weather.......
Plants are all dead or dying, animals are not moving around, pretty lifeless here....only a bunch of Squirrels sitting in the shade of a big Oak tree drinking cold beer and eating peanuts. I think I heard some gambling going on, but I stay away from Squirrels when they are drinking.....they can bite, you know.

Best Regards!
07-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #10

Actually I'm not interested in best price,
I'm not looking for the best price either...I am looking for the best HONEST deal. I don't deal with any sellers without researching.

K5 at fumfie...$1119.00 ( I have dealt with them...Happy camper)

K5 at B&H...$1322.00 (I have dealt with them too...Happy Camper)

Price difference $203

Pentax 55~300 Lens @ fumfie...$219.00

Same Lens B&H...$350 + $10.90 S/H

Price difference $141.90

I have been pleased with Fumfie, and I have been pleased with B&H...But I would REALLY pleased with the savings of $344.00 for the two Items. I have already bought the K5 as fumfie did not have it in stock when I purchased mine, but had I waited I most likely would have bought from them...FWIW...

JC
07-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #11

Pentax O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Hey Tom,

My eyes aren't the best either and thought this would be better than the un-magnified standard. Unfortunately in my case the little bit of magnification wasn't enough to make a big difference and the loss of clarity was enough to make me put it back in the box. YMMV... Best of luck in your new endeavours!

Devesh
07-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
OK so the Pentax O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe isn't that great an idea.

I read somewhere that the K-5 HDMI output mirrors whatever is displayed on the LCD Screen is this true. If so then one of these might be just what I need.

LILLIPUT FA1011-NP/C, FA1011 LED Monitor, LED Computer Monitor, LED PC Monitor, 10.1 LED Moniotor [LILLIPUT FA1011 (NO TOUCHSCREEN)]

Anybody tried them?

Tom
07-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Tom: You will love the K5. Dig in the menus and you can make it sing your tune.....

About the converters.---- I think you will find you have pushed too far with the 2x converters.
with a 2x and a slow lens you get beyond the working limits of both the auto focus and the
exposure and can produce some unfortunate results in my opinion. I haven't used the bigma specifically. I've got some very long Pentax glass and dedicated Pentax converters.

the glass is really happy with the 1.4x and for the most part it's transparent.--put it on and life is good. MOve beyond that, and you need to relearn some technique and understand
the IQ compromises. I have a Pentax-A f/2.8 300 mm which just screams for the addition
of a converter. The whole reason for the speed is to have some to give away with a converter.... --- but I really can't warm up to the 2x converter.
07-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone who commented, I probably have to make a few adjustments to my order to B&H.

.. also - Adorama has a customer representative here on the forum available to try to rectify problems like you experienced...

Ever heard the old saying - Once bitten........

Tom

Last edited by TomS; 07-19-2011 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Forgot Sonething
07-20-2011, 05:47 AM   #15

Pentax SMCP-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED

$199.00 It doesn't list the Hood or Soft case, but the part number and picture show it is not the DA L model

=http://www.fumfie.com/product/232.15/shopping-com

So I guess the bottom line is...it's not quite as good of a deal as the same lens when it was $219 (Hood and Soft case was included) since the case and hood will cost a lot more than the $20.00 price drop. But still looks like a great price.

I am not in anyway associated with Fumfie.com (except I have bought from them) :ugh:

JC