Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Nikon to Pentax

Hi, I'm a photographer-artist in southern Cal. i have finally gave up (almost) on film, and am about to migrate to DSLR...
Since I'm leaving my F-4 and N90s bodys for Digital. aside from the cost of new system. K-5 seems to make since after reading all reviews and this forum... Getting my film and processing has just become too much of a hassle the last year.... I only use 6 lenses total so it will not be much to sell the nikon and change Systems i figure... and as far as metering goes I get great shot's on a 1999-2000 era meter now so i figure the newer Pentax should do just fine..
Glad to be here

more info here

Last edited by crunch01; 07-18-2011 at 02:12 AM. Reason: addition
07-17-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll love the K-5! Plus, for its price nowadays, not much can beat it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #3

what lenses are in your current nikon kit? You'll want to know if Pentax lenses will fit the range.
07-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I left Nikon a few months ago and never looked back. If you aren't a pro, you won't miss much

07-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I left Nikon a few months ago and never looked back. If you aren't a pro, you won't miss much
I'd argue that if you're really a pro you will appreciate it even more! But you have to be more interested in IQ and subtleties of handling then having the biggest and most expensive!

If I had not been shooting full frame and big blob cameras I would not have known what jewels the K-5 and the DA primes really truly are...
07-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Overall the K5 is a very hard camera to beat, and it's giving it's nikon and canon counterparts a run for their money. Honestly once you have the K5, you'd wonder why an other camera crossed your mind before.
For more info:
Pentax K-5 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
07-25-2011, 01:07 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Changing from Nikon to Pentax? Why???

I've just gone the other way, from KR (still using it) to Nikon D5100. I sure miss the Pentax camera feel, the intelligent user oriented control layout, the easy to use menu, the green button, the visible AWB adjustment settings.

But the K5 has picked up so many problem comments, to wit, flash problem, 'flopping mirror' problem, FF problem in tungsten light (not totally fixed by the firmware upgrade), sensor 'stain' problem (although now definitely fixed) and a recently reported shifting focus screen problem, that I thought it would be silly to buy a camera with more than it's share of designed in or QC problems.

So there is nothing else in the Pentax range to upgrade to, once the K5 is excluded.

The D5100 on the other hand has the same sensor as the K5, is smaller, lighter, has an articulating screen, does better video and has an arguably better focusing system and metering system. Weather proofing is not an issue for me and if you want to use your camera in the rain, you also need weather sealed lenses.

But I've got to say that Nikon could sure learn from Pentax how to make a camera that is really easy to use - the menu of the D5100 in particular is clumsy, to say the least.

But it is a good much cheaper substitute at my experienced amateur level for the K5 - the image quality is great, the shutter is quiet, the flash system sets the standard for the industry and the lack of built in stabilisation is no longer an issue with stabilised lenses, which outperform in-body stabilisation.

Why not the D7000? Too big and heavy and a clumsy feel to the body.

It was not a pain free transition - Pentax is superior in many ways but at the end of the day, the reliability of the K5 was a big negative and the technical superiority of the Nikon system was the clincher.

So for anyone thinking of moving from Nikon, mull it over a bit longer - I think Nikon offers a certain upgrade path whereas Pentax may have reached its peak.