Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Mirror problems never occured to my K-5 which was produced in December, already 4800 shutter counts
Freezed 2 times on different airshows in continuous shooting mode after shooting half a day with this mode.
It's a great cam in my opinion

Greetings, Sascha

09-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #32
Veteran Member

How do you find the manufacturing date?
09-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I suggest...

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
How do you find the manufacturing date?
I suggest downloading the PhotoMe software. It is free. You can google for it. I think that it says that it is a beta version, but it seems to work well in all aspects.

Once you take a RAW shot you can open it up in PhotoMe and get a lot of good info. The least of which is the shutter count and the actual manufacture date. You may need to hunt a bit for it in all the data, but it is there. Then you can at least see if your camera arrived with few, if any, previous shutter clicks. You can also see if it was manufactured during the sensor stain era, but I doubt that it was since that was fairly long ago. However, the manufacture date may help us all pinpoint when the mirror flopping production began and/or ceased.

Good luck and have fun. Like a lot of people my K-5 seems to be trouble free and it is a great camera. It is all about lenses though, so have fun finding the ones that suit your needs.
09-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Thanks. The battery is charging now. My K7 spare battery had only one bar. Do you think I should update the firmware, or wait till I check out the camera?

09-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think...

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Thanks. The battery is charging now. My K7 spare battery had only one bar. Do you think I should update the firmware, or wait till I check out the camera?
I think that you should get a tiny screwdriver and start taking it apart late this evening.

I updated mine before taking the first photo. Haven't had any issues about 2000 clicks into it. Don't use the GPS features at all though.
09-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #36
Forum Member

just download "Jeffrey's exif viewer":

Jeffrey's Exif viewer
with this tool you can check your exifs, this checking may last for a few minutes, it shows the hidden camera data, i.e., manufacture date as well as shutter count.

Greetings from Sascha
:-)
09-02-2011, 08:32 AM   #37

I've not noticed anything resembling what I know of the "mirror flop" issue on my K-5.

As an aside, I can't even find a succinct explanation of what mirror flop IS. I wish the threads on the topic were a bit less hysterical and methodically traced when the issue happened, what behavior occured ,what they wee doin when it happened, etc.

09-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sweendiggs Quote
I've not noticed anything resembling what I know of the "mirror flop" issue on my K-5.

As an aside, I can't even find a succinct explanation of what mirror flop IS. I wish the threads on the topic were a bit less hysterical and methodically traced when the issue happened, what behavior occured ,what they wee doin when it happened, etc.
Visit my website for more info on how I tested the Mirror-Flop issue: Pentax K5 Photography by Jim Radcliffe

by the way, my K5 returned from CRIS on Monday of this week and appears to be working properly after they repaired the mirror-overrun issue. I've not had much time to test it but it does (so far) appear to have been repaired. Will the issue return? Only time will tell.
12-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #39

Jim-

Would you mind sharing what CRIS said they did to repair your problem? I have the problem and I've already done one round trip with CRIS to no avail. (In other words, I sent it back to them.) First attempt they said "Repaired Release SW" and "Modified Release Button", but that did not work. Thanks.