Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2011, 12:39 AM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Unfortuantely I think dropping off the camera at CRK before you can reproduce the fault on demand is like pushing **it up hill with a pointy stick. I tihnk you've got to be able to put your freshly charged over volted battery in and demonstrate the problem on demand.
Unfortunately this is the age old problem with electronic gear that is malfunctioning intermittently, and electronic gear is known for this.

In my case however I must point out to you that the sudden onslaught of unstoppable mirror activity happened with two batteries (one in camera and one in grip) that were in use already for two days! So the popular theory that this fault is battery/voltage related does not hold true in my case.

So are you suggesting I should not drop off my K-5 for repair because I cannot reproduce the fault at will?

Surely there is enough case history available now for PENTAX to get involved to find a solution.

Greetings

07-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote

So are you suggesting I should not drop off my K-5 for repair because I cannot reproduce the fault at will?

Surely there is enough case history available now for PENTAX to get involved to find a solution.

Greetings
I'm not suggesting that but I think the likelihood of getting it addressed is greater if you can demonstrate the problem. Don't read into it any more than that, I sympathise with your plight and hope CRK/Pentax can fix it for you asap. Good luck
07-22-2011, 01:32 AM   #48

Unfortuantely I think dropping off the camera at CRK before you can reproduce the fault on demand is like pushing **it up hill with a pointy stick. I tihnk you've got to be able to put your freshly charged over volted battery in and demonstrate the problem on demand.
The battery might be at fault with some but not mine. It can occur at anytime through the battery charge level. The camera takes shots even when the shuter isnt depressed.
07-22-2011, 01:36 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
That translates to:

technician turned it on and took a few pictures, then placed it on a shelf for a few days/weeks and forgot about it. Then when he needed the shelf space, he gave you the advisory.

Next time it happens take a video of it happening.
Just have to wait and see. But it wont be coming back unless a cause is found and rectified.

07-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Trouble shooting needs the problem to replicate itself, not an issue when my mirror went on strike, all dealt with, first a replacement mainboard and when that didn't do the trick and it failed a week later, a replacement camera.
Change brands, but you'll get the same from any product service department. They do have to see the fault occurring to find a remedy for it.
07-22-2011, 06:13 AM   #51
Site Supporter

Original Poster
...but I think the likelihood of getting it addressed is greater if you can demonstrate the problem
Oh, I am fully aware of this but what can I do? I just can't reproduce this condition on demand.

Greetings
07-25-2011, 01:59 AM   #52

Oh, I am fully aware of this but what can I do? I just can't reproduce this condition on demand.

Greetings
Dont give up. There is a problem. Make as much noise as you can and you will get a result. Give them as much information as you can. I sent them jpeg images from when my K5 took photos of the inside of the car and the ground or peoples feet.
There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

John

Last edited by campdog; 07-26-2011 at 04:39 AM.
07-25-2011, 04:55 AM   #53
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by campdog Quote
Dont give up. There is a problem. Make as much noise as you can and you will get a result. Give them as much information as you can. I sent them jpeg images from when my K5 took photos of the inside of the car and the ground or peoples feet.
here is a light at the end of the tunnel.

John
Thanks for the encouragement, I'll hang in there. The cam has only been a week with CRK so far and I don't want to cry foul yet. I am an optimist.

Greetings

07-31-2011, 03:33 AM   #54

I'm not suggesting that but I think the likelihood of getting it addressed is greater if you can demonstrate the problem. Don't read into it any more than that, I sympathise with your plight and hope CRK/Pentax can fix it for you asap. Good luck
I couldnt replicate the problem but supplies evidence or the problem.I sent all the images the camera took while sitting in the camera bag or hanging fron a shoulder strap.4 or r rapid shots taken when the camera was set to single frame. There was an obvious fault but not traceable. All I can say that I had a good result to the problem. Maybe having a very experienced photographer and Pentax user as a retailer helped me achieve a result.I didnt contact CRK at all. Left that to the retailer.
07-31-2011, 09:04 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not poking at you guys...it is obvious you are sincere and I regret your difficulty and hope for a speedy resolution......but I have to say again I just like the ring of "Mirror Flopper"...it just hits my button...no pun intended.
Every time I see this I get a big smile...and the strange part is, I have no idea why?

Anyhow, best of luck to you guys and if by some streak of bad luck I have this problem come up, I look forward to joining you here, you seem like a nice group of guys!

Best Regards!
07-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #56
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Every time I see this I get a big smile...and the strange part is, I have no idea why?
Hi
Firstly, look at it every day, then at least you are assured of at list one smile regardless.

Secondly, if it is important for you to find out why it tickles your fancy you can order from me an "Self Assessment" manual. That'll be $50.00 but unfortunately only in Australian currency as the US Dollar has become worthless. (So sorry, Rupert)

Greetings
08-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #57
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi
Picked up my cam from CRK yesterday morning, it's been in repair for only 12 days. I say that is pretty good. A new "Main PC Board Assembly" was fitted. Walked around like a cowboy all day yesterday shooting wildly from the hip some 500 shoots. Camera works faultlessly. Whether the mirror flopping will re-appear I can't tell. I hope like hell it won't

What I can tell though is this:
CRK were very courteous in dealing with this matter. Although when I handed the camera in they surprised me at first by saying they had not heard about this mirror flopping business.

The turnaround time was very fast in my opinion and I was told if I have any further problems not to hesitate to come back.

When checking old and new EXIF data I can confirm that a new Main Board was indeed fitted.

All custom settings were re-set including date and location.
My old shutter count was 7,451 and after repair 209, the manufacture date was originally 10/Dec/11 and now reads 04/Jul/10 and the service bit has been re-set from "Not Set (Value: 2?)" to read now "Service Bit Set (Value:8)" while the serial number remained the same.

The only disappointment is the camera "Manufacture Date" which now shows a much earlier model. This indicates to me that a spare part was used that must have come with the first original shipment and if any of those early Main Boards are the ones that are dicky (and now have been replaced by newer more reliable ones) then I could be back to square one. Only time will tell. I may even go back and query CRK about this.

Greetings
08-03-2011, 03:01 AM   #58

Good to see you got it back. Thats what CRK done with my K5 when I was having focusing issues in March / April this year before I went to the US. It fixed the focusing but the shutter and mirror problems remained the same.
After 2 weeks in their Melbourne shop I got a replacement K5 last Thursday. They coulndt find the problem or replicate it so with all the information I gave them Japan said to replace under warranty and send the body back to them.
It must have been a lemon since day one.The photos I get know are fantastic and the camera sounds different when I activate the shutter.No more clunks and bangs.
I had never tried another K5 so I didnt know any differences.
John
08-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the manufacture date was originally 10/Dec/11 and now reads 04/Jul/10
So your first mainboard was manufactured in the future?
08-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #60
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
So your first mainboard was manufactured in the future?
OOPS, of course I meant to write 10/Dec/2010

(I have already spoken to the keyboard and chastised it severely for allowing me to make such a crass booboo)

Greetings