Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2011, 03:56 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
If you're going to be in a place with a heck of a lot of wheat, in small particles, then, yes, it's important. Like, say, shooting next to a thresher.
I might add that processed and/or cooked wheat- whether pasta, bread, or cereal- poses less of a challenge to the WR.

07-21-2011, 04:20 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have taken shots standing on rocks in the surf to get shots covered in salt spray and just rinsed the camera and lens 50-135 under the tap and its fine. I now have a sigma 150-500 so I dont need to get wet any more. lol
07-21-2011, 04:57 AM   #18
Inactive Account

I use my cameras in all weather. Even the non wr ones I use in arctic shit weather. Now I have wr camera and lens, but I don't really trust it, so I am still careful when I use it regardless of weather. Should it break due to simple rain though, I'd have it replaced on warranty.
07-21-2011, 05:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I've had my K5 and DA50-135 out in an unexpected rain in Seattle for an hour and not had a problem. it was really nice with fog accompanying the rain. I usually carry a rag along to keep standing water off the camera and lens, especially if the lens is not a water resistant one. Seashores are a concern for me because salt is so corrosive and makes the camera feel "greasy". Cleaning the camera up later with a fresh water dampened rag is a good idea. I've never taken my camera out into salt water surf, but if i did, i'have some sort of sleeve for it as discussed above.

I've read one post some time ago where water got into someone's camera and the warranty did not cover the water damage that occurred - not sure which dslr model it was, but one of hte WR ones. Just so you know - its your dime.

07-21-2011, 05:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Skog Quote
I use my cameras in all weather. Even the non wr ones I use in arctic shit weather. Now I have wr camera and lens, but I don't really trust it, so I am still careful when I use it regardless of weather. Should it break due to simple rain though, I'd have it replaced on warranty.
Just so you know, the warranty policy in the back of your manual excludes repairs if there is evidence of impact, sand or liquid damage.
07-21-2011, 07:30 AM   #21
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Just so you know, the warranty policy in the back of your manual excludes repairs if there is evidence of impact, sand or liquid damage.
I was thinking about that too. So maybe only my black K-5 in the rain.
07-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I have used both the K-7 and K-5, with all of the DA* lenses, extensively in rain, sleet and snow. Never had a problem. It's been posted before, but here's a video I made after getting knocked over by an ocean wave, while shooting with a K-7 and DA* 300mm.

I've also had a camera on the outside of a vehicle, while driving through a rain storm, shooting a timelapse. Still need to put that together one of these days...

I have a friend who shot for 9 hours in a driving rain storm in Patagonian Andes in southern Chile with a K-7 and DA* 16-50mm.

They can take a lot, it's quite remarkable. I'm always wondering when that day will come when I finally push it to far. But it hasn't happened yet. I think watching a game in the rain should be fine. Just for back up, bring a waterproof camera case, or a regular case and a small trash bag. If it gets too heavy for you liking, just stash it for the rest of the game.

07-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #23
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
They can take a lot, it's quite remarkable. I'm always wondering when that day will come when I finally push it to far. But it hasn't happened yet. I think watching a game in the rain should be fine. Just for back up, bring a waterproof camera case, or a regular case and a small trash bag. If it gets too heavy for you liking, just stash it for the rest of the game.
Wow thanks. Well I still hope for a sunny day, since I like that more myself.
07-22-2011, 04:23 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Hmm so what on earth is the WR about then? And they pour water over the camera on demos etc. If they cant back up their claim, it's all just a gimmick then.
07-22-2011, 04:58 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Hmm so what on earth is the WR about then? And they pour water over the camera on demos etc. If they cant back up their claim, it's all just a gimmick then.
Yes, but when they do not put the fineprint there, and someone goes diving with their K5/7 and files a claim, they're going to have to follow through.

There is no way of telling if somebody used the WR seal past their capabilities or not. So their rule of thumb must be: If there's evidence of water inside the camera, the customer must have put it through THAT much moisture, that the WR failed.
07-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What if the WR failed because it was improperly sealed at the factory?

I'm sorry, but if you advertise something as being weather resistant and stamp WR onto all the WR lenses, then you need to support it if it fails, especially when there is a good possibility of someone buying your product over someone else's specifically for that feature.
07-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
What if the WR failed because it was improperly sealed at the factory?

I'm sorry, but if you advertise something as being weather resistant and stamp WR onto all the WR lenses, then you need to support it if it fails, especially when there is a good possibility of someone buying your product over someone else's specifically for that feature.
I completely agree. But in their defense, stamping WR on all your stuff doesn't give your users a lisence to going a complete jackass with their gear (which is what I do), and then complain when it break (which I wouldn't and haven't needed to do). If Pentax came out and said we stand by out WR and will replace anything water damged camera for free, they would be out of business in a year due to all the free repairs of cameras that got chinese water tortured until they broke. It's impossible to tell when a camera comes in for repair if it was dropped in a lake or used in the rain, and it just ends up being your workd versus theirs. Just like REI's (Return Everything Incorporated) return policy that get recklessly abused, I get the feeling that if Pentax stood behind this as much as we would like, people would abuse the crap out of it, take no care in keeping their camera safe from water, then expect Pentax to fix whatever goes wrong. My guess is that they design them to tolerate a certain amount, and in their opinion, if they see your camera, you exceeded that amount.
07-24-2011, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #28
Inactive Account

cant be all that difficult to include a 1 bar pressure sticker or something inside the housing. That way they could easily determine if it was submerged or not. WR was and is the main reason I chose pentax. This fine print stuff is bullshit!

Last edited by Skog; 07-24-2011 at 05:14 AM.
07-24-2011, 03:36 AM   #29
Banned

Original Poster
Cant be all that difficult to include a 1 bar pressure sticker or something inside the housing. That way they could easily determine if it was submerged or nor.
That is even a great idea! Is it that simple?
07-24-2011, 03:55 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

C'mon, folks, get real! Just because it has beefed up WR doesn't mean it's invulnerable to liquid damage. You don't see Pentax pouring Coca-Cola into an open camera through the lens mount or dunking a K-5 in the Pacific with a MF Tokina mounted lens on it.

I think Rupert is right:
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Viewing every complaint imaginable here on the K5 Forum, and we have our choice of those, I can't recall any abundance of failures with weather sealing. Unless there are almost no shooters in wet weather, then I conclude from this that the sealing is effective and as advertised...or we would be hearing a lot of squealing....you can count on it!
I just wish Pentax would adopt a three-year standard warranty period.