Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2011, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #46

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Skog Quote
Wait what?! You held the camera half submerged in a pool? OR just the lens tip? Hehe that is taking it further for sure. I'm not over cautious with rain or water either, but I wont do that! I take it this is your back up camera, and you don't really fear for it :=) Please do keep us posted on what it can do.
For that picture the camera and lens were half submerged. I also did the test of completely submerging the camera briefly to test "what if the camera has quickly droped on the water". Camera and lens kept working fine.

It's not really my backup camera, I still consider it my "other" main camera. When I go shooting aerial pictures I use both since I put one lens in each and switch cameras for different shots. 16-50 on the K20D and Sigma 70-200 on the K-5.

But remember that in this test I used the 18-55 WR, and since this lens can do this, I really feel confident about the DA* and weather sealing on the bodies.

Oh and it really feels good to see the reaction of the people. lol!

08-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
Oh and it really feels good to see the reaction of the people. lol!
They look scared
08-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #48
Veteran Member

In Florida where it pours out of nowhere for about ten minutes, I'm thinking this is a lifesaver.
08-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
For that picture the camera and lens were half submerged. I also did the test of completely submerging the camera briefly to test "what if the camera has quickly droped on the water". Camera and lens kept working fine.
Well I think you are completely and utterly crazy to do that But you got a great photo, seemingly no damage was done, so who's the crazy one?

08-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Well I think you are completely and utterly crazy to do that But you got a great photo, seemingly no damage was done, so who's the crazy one?
Well THANKS!!! I'll try to keep those crazy pics coming more often! Too bad my DA* 16-50 is in the shop for a regular maintenance, but as soon as I get it back I'll try something else!
08-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #51
Veteran Member

I had taken photos for over an hour during an outdoor sports event in a constant drizzle nearly a couple of years ago with a K20d + DA* 16-50mm f2.8, and didn't even think about it for a moment. Everything turned out just great.

But recently I worried more than a bit after I accidentally left my newly acquired (but used) K200d with a (non-WR) DA 16-45 in a total downpour for over 15 minutes at a campsite. But even then, everything was just dandy.

I never played with the K-7 in water or adverse conditions during the brief period that I owned it but that camera and the K-5 are supposed to be much better than their predecessors in weather resistance according to Pentax. Unless I was giving the K-7/5 an Osama-like burial, I wouldn't worry too much about it getting spit on a little.
08-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Well, I've never actually submerged my K-5 (nor do I plan to), but I did take it in the pool last weekend to get a couple shot I wouldn't have otherwise gotten. It was a birthday party with a couple dozen four and five year-old kids, so needless to say both the K-5 and I got splashed quite a bit that day

08-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #53

Photos: Albums
Guys i have a problem and i think its weather sealing issue..after rincing my k-5 and switched it on the screen freezed..i carefully dry it,remove the battery and reinserted it..camera opens ok,all functions seem ok, it focus,i can switch programs and different settings but when i take a shot the lcd remain black and the mirror and curtain wont come back..the image doesnt get saved in the card and i have to reinsert the battery for them to go back in place..the bad thing is that i still have 4 days of vacation and no camera..i suppose i wont have any problem with warranty?also i noticed a bit of dust at the lower left side of the lcd..

08-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #54

Update.. Now the shutter works perfectly but it doesnt recognise the memory card..It acts as if it hasnt any inside..You think it might get fixed by itself?

2nd Update. Today the camera works perfactly as new..Is this the way it is supposed to operate?Should i visit the service just in case??

Last edited by Dionisis_K; 08-11-2011 at 12:57 AM.
08-11-2011, 06:49 AM   #55

any suggestions please?
08-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dionisis_K Quote
any suggestions please?
difficult, since when you go to a service place and all works fine, what can they do and say?

Maybe some moist in it that dried up. Or a little card error at a time.
08-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #57

actually its a relief that the camera works fine after that but a have a slight concern about future corraption in case water has entered the body..
08-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Dionisis_k check this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/155001-weather-seals-lcds.html
08-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #59

i did check it thanks a lot..The thing is that although i couldnt spot any moisture inside at neither of the lcds nor the holes of the camera, it was malfunctioning...
08-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #60
Veteran Member

I thought you mentioned you had dust under the LCD previously. That could be a sign of bad seal, sorry if I was mistaken.