Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2011, 03:31 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
That's what I love about the K-5; without grip and with a limited prime it feels agile and discrete; add a grip and a DA* zoom and it looks and feels like a pro camera.

You are so right in this point. The ability for the K-5 to change its appearance is absolutely breathtaking. You take off the grip (if you have one, and if not you should get one) and put a small prime up front and you have a veritable "stealth" camera. Then put back the grip and stick on your 60-250 Bazooka and people stop you in the street inquiring which magazine you are the paparazzi for. (It happened to me). Incredible.

Greetings

07-22-2011, 03:45 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Coming from the K20D to the K5, it took me maybe a day until it felt like I had been using it for years. Very nice size camera, but the feel of it is what makes it so comfortable in your hands.....or at least mine.
The K20D felt great too, so I doubt you would have any problems. I have a grip for the K20D...maybe used it once or twice....I'm just not a "gripper". Love the idea of a grip, and they have benefits galore, and look great too...but I'm a "natural feel" sort of guy.

Best Regards!
Did I write this? No? Well, it's what I would have written if this Rupert fellow hadn't done.
07-22-2011, 04:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
Go and find a shop and feel it for yourself - or see if someone here lives close enough to let you handle their camera. We can try to describe it until we are blue in the face but for something like this there is no subsitute IMHO for your own perceptions.
Of course that would be the best, but after a few searches, it looks like B&H would be closest dealer to me and is 265 miles away.
07-22-2011, 05:37 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
You are so right in this point. The ability for the K-5 to change its appearance is absolutely breathtaking. You take off the grip (if you have one, and if not you should get one) and put a small prime up front and you have a veritable "stealth" camera. Then put back the grip and stick on your 60-250 Bazooka and people stop you in the street inquiring which magazine you are the paparazzi for. (It happened to me). Incredible.

Greetings
I'll pile on and add my concurrence to this.

That's exactly what I do as well. I typically leave the grip off my K-5, especially when shooting any my small primes. It's only when I mount the DA*60-250 (or DA*300) that I'll stick the grip on. As Rondec mentioned a few posts back, even the DA*50-135 balances pretty well on a K-5 without a grip, so for the vast majority of my lenses I personally don't feel like I need the grip. But again, that's as much personal preference as anything since I know a lot of people who never take their grips off.

07-22-2011, 07:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Of course that would be the best, but after a few searches, it looks like B&H would be closest dealer to me and is 265 miles away.
Did you get the second idea? See if there is someone here that lives rather nearer to you?
07-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I upgraded from the K10D to K-7 (which has the same body as the k-5). Initially, I find the k-7 a bit small, but after a while, I find the K10D too chunky and clumsy. If you have big hands, adding the battery grip will make it more comfortable to handle. I am fine without the grip since I use my Limited lenses (43mm and 77mm) and some of the older m42 lenses quite often. These pancake lenses on the k-7 is a perfect combo for traveling. Besides it is also unobtrusive to use in the public areas.