Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 physical size

Like many, I've been lusting for a K-5 for a while now. But, this gives me too much time to think about it - actually to think too much into it I suppose.

My current camera is the K20D. I absolutely love it for many reasons, but one is the size and feel in my hands with the grip. Yeah, it's big, but so am I and my hands.

A couple days ago a purchased and received a used K-x to use as a second body and for my wife to use - the latter of which is more the case once she saw it! Anyway, I was quite surprised at how small it is compared to my K20D. It's not a bad thing at all for my intended uses, but it got me thinking.

If the K-5 is any where similar in size to the K-x, I don't think I am going to like it. This is all so difficult living in the boonies and no place to actually hold different pieces of equipment.

So where does the physical size of the K-5 come in compared to the K20D and K-x? I know this is a difficult question to answer, but one that I must find the answer to before I would consider buying.

Thanks for any help!

07-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd say the K-5 feels much closer in size (and build) to the K20D than the K-x.

Just in case you've ever handled a K200D, it's about the same size and weight as a K-5.
07-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The Kx is definitely a bit smaller than the K5. I don't think you will find the K5 that much different to a K20d.
I have the K5 and large hands. I added the battery pack to the K5, as many do, and have found it ideal.
Still I have found little trouble with K5 minus pack, holding left hand under lens for support and steadiness.
I would not worry if I were you, you should have little difficulty.
07-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There's a huge difference between the K-5 and K-x/K-r- especially once the grip comes on. Coming from the K20D it takes a bit of time to get used to the K-5's different form factor, but once you use it for a few days I'm sure you'll start to prefer it, and also appreciate the better ergonomics. You definitely want to get the grip, though- I couldn't use my camera without it (I actually wish one were built in! )

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just got my K-5 and grip having had the K-x. The K-5 is a little bigger and heaiver than the K-x, although I've never held a K20 so can't say how they compare. A K-5 with a grip feels really substantial. That's what I love about the K-5; without grip and with a limited prime it feels agile and discrete; add a grip and a DA* zoom and it looks and feels like a pro camera.
07-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input folks!

And, whenever I have the K-5 in a shopping cart, I always have the grip with it.

I needed to hear all this after I was so shocked with the size of the K-x.

Now back to juggling funds somehow to make it happen.
07-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The weight of the K20 and the weight of the K5 are really close. The K5 has a lot denser, sturdier feel to it. It is definitely bigger than the kx, but smaller than the K20.

As twitch says, having the option of the grip is perfect. Bigger lens and grip versus limited and no grip, although truthfully, I have no trouble balancing my DA *50-135 without a grip.

07-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Coming from the K20D to the K5, it took me maybe a day until it felt like I had been using it for years. Very nice size camera, but the feel of it is what makes it so comfortable in your hands.....or at least mine.
The K20D felt great too, so I doubt you would have any problems. I have a grip for the K20D...maybe used it once or twice....I'm just not a "gripper". Love the idea of a grip, and they have benefits galore, and look great too...but I'm a "natural feel" sort of guy.

Best Regards!
07-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
Inactive Account

The K5 is Shorter than the K10/20 (body only) but the way the grip side of the body is laid out is much better. I have large hands too. The grip side is laid out so you can actually hold the camera without the feeling it may slip out of your hand. Without the battery grip, your pinky will want to dangle under the camera. With the battery grip, I consider it to be near perfect. I never did like having the battery grip on the K10/20 but with the battery grip on the K7/5, it's, again, a near perfect fit.

07-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It is up to personal preference, but I much prefer the K-7/K-5 to the K10D/K20D design when using it for everything but studio style work when the camera is on a tripod. I had bought a K10D a while back after I had a K-7 for a year and just didn't jive with it... and eventually sold it.

In my opinion, the K-7/K-5 with a grip is the most comfortable camera I've ever held. I'm 6' tall with long thin hands. I much prefer small cameras, but that's what I've always tried to buy and use.
07-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Go and find a shop and feel it for yourself - or see if someone here lives close enough to let you handle their camera. We can try to describe it until we are blue in the face but for something like this there is no subsitute IMHO for your own perceptions.
07-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
Go and find a shop and feel it for yourself - or see if someone here lives close enough to let you handle their camera. We can try to describe it until we are blue in the face but for something like this there is no subsitute IMHO for your own perceptions.
In the United States, that is easier said than done in many areas.

07-22-2011, 12:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

My K-5 is bigger than my old mans K-X and very much the same size as my K200D.
07-22-2011, 02:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
In the United States, that is easier said than done in many areas.

Same in a lot of the UK, but maybe someone from here lives near enough to you? It's a lot of cash to splash if you don't like it.
07-22-2011, 03:14 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I kind of liked the K10 size better, but in all other respects the K5 is better so... I use the K5.